DIY Dog Export

Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice
Default DIY Dog Export

Hi

Has anyone exported their pet themselves rather than use Airpets etc

I had a look at the Air Singapore site and it seems an awful lot cheaper.

I've had a quote for 2800 GBP from Airpets, with Air Singapore the cost would be 40USD / Kilo even if i over estimate the crate and my dog the cost would be about 1800USD (1200GBP) add in the Vets fees and tests about 500 GBP - total is 1700GBP

I appreciate that there is paperwork to do but is it harder than getting every thing together for your initial visa!

TIA Ian
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of
Default Re: DIY Dog Export

Please DO NOT ship any pets through eastern countries.

There have been several instances where they have arrived at their destination dead though heat exhaustion.

This is due to the fact that they are off loaded and left sitting on the tarmac.

If you do decide to ship yourself look at shipping through the states or Canada for your pets sake.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice

OMG - Many thanks - i hadn't thought of that
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: DIY Dog Export

[QUOTE=tease;8662615]Hi

Has anyone exported their pet themselves rather than use Airpets etc

I had a look at the Air Singapore site and it seems an awful lot cheaper.

I've had a quote for 2800 GBP from Airpets, with Air Singapore the cost would be 40USD / Kilo even if i over estimate the crate and my dog the cost would be about 1800USD (1200GBP) add in the Vets fees and tests about 500 GBP - total is 1700GBP

I appreciate that there is paperwork to do but is it harder than getting every thing together for your initial visa!

TIA Ian[/QUOT

I USED ANIMAL COURIERS WHICH WERE MUCH CHEAPER THAN AIRPETS. IN 2007 I PHONED AROUND A LOT OF UK COMPANIES AND ALL OF THEM SAID THAT THEY WOULD NOT FLY THE DOGS UNLESS I USED A LIGITIMATE COMPANY, I COULD NOT DO IT MYSELF.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

I think we're going to use a company called ladyhaye (the lady is on here under the name petshipper, you could always send her a private message) They fly via los angeles, this means the plane lands late afternoon when it is cooler and as far as I know they stay on the plane while it refuels. This means they dont get taken off and loaded on to another plane. I thought that sounded a much better way. I'll try to find the thread.

Hope that helps
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Hope this works, first time I've tried to do it! Petshipper appears on the second page and has written some info about the journey.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655468
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
Hope this works, first time I've tried to do it!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655468
Lol I was just about to post that link as well, it's a good 'un!

We are in the process of booking our dog in to come over, to be honest it is worth paying the extra for it all to be hassle free - she's too precious for us to risk screwing it up doing it ourselves. And when we are moving country the last thing I want to be worrying about is her welfare and paperwork and vets tests etc so we think it is worth the cost. Granted she is only 38cm high, 55cm long and 19cm wide so it shouldn't be too expensive we hope

I do know however that if you were going to Canada that you could just do it straight with Air Canada (if that was ever part of your plan ) - but dealing with DEFRA/MAF etc as well just isn't worth the stress?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

We used ladyhaye and they were fantastic. Could not fault them I thingk I have posted on that link. So i wont repeat myself here.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

There are some things worth knowing if you decide to organise the shipping of your own pets:
-Airline restrictions. For example, Air NZ doesn't accept any animals whose journey starts from the UK that are not shipped through an agent.
-Many airlines, including Air NZ, don't fly live animals through Asia at all for the reasons someone already mentioned. .
-Transit import permits: some countries require a transit import permit for any animals that travel through their airports, and they usually have to be applied well in advance. Some countries, like the US only require it if the animals change the plane instead of continuing on the same flight, but if I remember correctly, both Hong Kong and Singapore require an import permit for transit as well.
-Time restrictions: The IATA animal travel regulations state a maximum time limit that the pets can travel at one go (not just flight duration). If the travelling time exceeds the limit, the pets will have to have a stopover of X hours at an animal reception/transit centre on the way, during which they're let out of the crate, fed, let to do their business, checked by a vet etc. This will typically cost a couple of hundred pounds extra. All airports don't necessarily have an animal transit center and their quality varies a lot, so you need to know which routes are possible and which aren't.

It might actually be cheaper (and it's certainly so much easier) to let a professional agent to deal with all the fuss as they know the time limits, routes etc.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:18 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, interesting points about flying pets through Asian countries. I wanted to avoid this at all costs because of the horror stories I'd heard.

BUT then came along the bloody volcanic ash cloud and after many delays our Gary cat ended up going through Hong Kong (with Air NZ). She arrived safe and sound. Maybe Air NZ changed their policy for this round the whole ash cloud time?

I'd still avoid the Asian countries though if I could, just to be on the safe side.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shelloid
hmmm, interesting points about flying pets through Asian countries. I wanted to avoid this at all costs because of the horror stories I'd heard.

BUT then came along the bloody volcanic ash cloud and after many delays our Gary cat ended up going through Hong Kong (with Air NZ). She arrived safe and sound. Maybe Air NZ changed their policy for this round the whole ash cloud time?

I'd still avoid the Asian countries though if I could, just to be on the safe side.
TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE SHIPPING DOGS AND CATS OUT TO NZ PLEASE REMEMBER WHEN U R THERE TO KEEP THEIR RABIES INJECTIONS UP TO DATE, OR U WILL HAVE TO WAIT 6 MONTHS IN THE COUNTRY BEFORE YOU CAN FLY THEM HOME, UNLESS YOU WANT TO PUT THEM IN QUARANTINE. I FLEW OUT 2 LABRADORS AND ONE CAT IN 2005 AND BACK AGAIN IN 2007. SO IT IS JUST A TIP THAT I WANTED TO SHARE WITH YOU ALL.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:33 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE SHIPPING DOGS AND CATS OUT TO NZ PLEASE REMEMBER WHEN U R THERE TO KEEP THEIR RABIES INJECTIONS UP TO DATE, OR U WILL HAVE TO WAIT 6 MONTHS IN THE COUNTRY BEFORE YOU CAN FLY THEM HOME, UNLESS YOU WANT TO PUT THEM IN QUARANTINE. I FLEW OUT 2 LABRADORS AND ONE CAT IN 2005 AND BACK AGAIN IN 2007. SO IT IS JUST A TIP THAT I WANTED TO SHARE WITH YOU ALL.
Check your caps lock key on your keyboard, then you won´t seem to be SHOUTING ALL THE TIME
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

This thread (and the old one) have eased my mind a bit.

I'm far less worried about the prospect of moving to the other side of the world than I am about making sure my dogs get there safely.

Probably a good idea to make sure your dog is used to being crated in advance and has spent some time in kennels. It will be less stressful for them.

Me and Pointer have 2 German Shorthaired Pointers (hence the name) and they were both crated as youngsters. Wee one (who's just one) still is.

We'll just take them up a few munroes before we pack them off. Only way to tire them out and so less stressed.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Check your caps lock key on your keyboard, then you won´t seem to be SHOUTING ALL THE TIME
How Funny... I too was reading that as if heavenlyscent was shouting it
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Mgee
There are some things worth knowing if you decide to organise the shipping of your own pets:
-Airline restrictions. For example, Air NZ doesn't accept any animals whose journey starts from the UK that are not shipped through an agent.
-Many airlines, including Air NZ, don't fly live animals through Asia at all for the reasons someone already mentioned. .
-Transit import permits: some countries require a transit import permit for any animals that travel through their airports, and they usually have to be applied well in advance. Some countries, like the US only require it if the animals change the plane instead of continuing on the same flight, but if I remember correctly, both Hong Kong and Singapore require an import permit for transit as well.
-Time restrictions: The IATA animal travel regulations state a maximum time limit that the pets can travel at one go (not just flight duration). If the travelling time exceeds the limit, the pets will have to have a stopover of X hours at an animal reception/transit centre on the way, during which they're let out of the crate, fed, let to do their business, checked by a vet etc. This will typically cost a couple of hundred pounds extra. All airports don't necessarily have an animal transit center and their quality varies a lot, so you need to know which routes are possible and which aren't.

It might actually be cheaper (and it's certainly so much easier) to let a professional agent to deal with all the fuss as they know the time limits, routes etc.
That's a brilliant post. Have some karma for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.