Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ditch S Africa from Super 14?

Ditch S Africa from Super 14?

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Ditch S Africa from Super 14?

Call to ditch South Africa from Super 14 - 23 October 20006 - By GREG CROWDEN Sydney Morning Herald

David Moffett, one of the architects of the Super 12 and Tri Nations tournaments, believes both competitions have had their day and that Australia and New Zealand should discard South Africa.

The former chief executive of numerous unions, including NSW, New Zealand and Wales, who was also in charge of the NRL, believes Australian sides should play in an expanded New Zealand National Provincial Championship instead of the Super 14 and domestic competitions. And the obvious alternative to the Tri Nations is an annual three-match Bledisloe Cup series

In 1995, Moffett was involved in the planning of the Super 12 and Tri Nations series, and became the first chief executive of SANZAR, which has since run both competitions. Moffett, who after his term with Wales is returning to New Zealand, told the Sydney Morning Herald that while both competitions were good for their times they were in need of a revamp. Traditional rivalries had to be emphasised.

"Forget about South Africa. Concentrate on your own backyard," Moffett said yesterday. "Professional rugby has interfered with the natural tribalism of the game. It is forcing changes to domestic and grassroots rugby which I don't think are going to work. That's why I have a real concern with what is happening with the new national competition in Australia. There are better options.

"Super 12 and Tri Nations was right for the time. It brought in a truckload of money, but times have changed. These competitions have a lifespan. I could not understand them going to a Super 14 or the Tri Nations extended by another round. I know it has to do with money, but you have to be careful you don't kill the golden goose. After 10 years of professional rugby people really have to take a step back and say 'Where to next?'."

Moffett said a solution could be found by what has occurred in this year's South African Currie Cup.

"I've been very impressed with the crowds South Africa are getting for the Currie Cup," Moffett said. "That all comes back to traditional rivalries which sees them getting much bigger crowds than what they have been getting in the Super 14. That's been an eye-opener.

"You always have to look to do something a bit better. For me a bit better would be for Australia and New Zealand to develop an expanded NPC [National Provincial Championship] which would suit the players. You would not have all that humungous travel which is part of the Super 14. In South Africa they are certainly not as interested in the Super 14 as they are in the Tri Nations. They've never been particularly competitive in the Super 14 so why not take the opportunity to look at what's better for Australia and New Zealand?

"If you had an expanded NPC, you would have the main provinces in Australia playing the main provinces in New Zealand, and the smaller states in Australia playing the smaller unions in New Zealand."

Moffett said Australian administrators had - by pushing the national competition which starts next year - made the mistake of "trying to replicate the NPC and Currie Cup".

"But those two competitions revolve around traditional rivalries and there are no made-up teams. That's why an expanded NPC would be an awful lot better than what is being pushed at the moment."

As for the Tri Nations Moffett said he "would instead concentrate on three Bledisloe Cup matches".

"Three Bledisloes is what it's about. It is time to rethink the alliance with South Africa ... and there needs to be a selfish look at New Zealand and Australia as the present schedule is going to kill the players."
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:37 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ditch S Africa from Super 14?

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Call to ditch South Africa from Super 14 - 23 October 20006 - By GREG CROWDEN Sydney Morning Herald

David Moffett, one of the architects of the Super 12 and Tri Nations tournaments, believes both competitions have had their day and that Australia and New Zealand should discard South Africa.

The former chief executive of numerous unions, including NSW, New Zealand and Wales, who was also in charge of the NRL, believes Australian sides should play in an expanded New Zealand National Provincial Championship instead of the Super 14 and domestic competitions. And the obvious alternative to the Tri Nations is an annual three-match Bledisloe Cup series

In 1995, Moffett was involved in the planning of the Super 12 and Tri Nations series, and became the first chief executive of SANZAR, which has since run both competitions. Moffett, who after his term with Wales is returning to New Zealand, told the Sydney Morning Herald that while both competitions were good for their times they were in need of a revamp. Traditional rivalries had to be emphasised.

"Forget about South Africa. Concentrate on your own backyard," Moffett said yesterday. "Professional rugby has interfered with the natural tribalism of the game. It is forcing changes to domestic and grassroots rugby which I don't think are going to work. That's why I have a real concern with what is happening with the new national competition in Australia. There are better options.

"Super 12 and Tri Nations was right for the time. It brought in a truckload of money, but times have changed. These competitions have a lifespan. I could not understand them going to a Super 14 or the Tri Nations extended by another round. I know it has to do with money, but you have to be careful you don't kill the golden goose. After 10 years of professional rugby people really have to take a step back and say 'Where to next?'."

Moffett said a solution could be found by what has occurred in this year's South African Currie Cup.

"I've been very impressed with the crowds South Africa are getting for the Currie Cup," Moffett said. "That all comes back to traditional rivalries which sees them getting much bigger crowds than what they have been getting in the Super 14. That's been an eye-opener.

"You always have to look to do something a bit better. For me a bit better would be for Australia and New Zealand to develop an expanded NPC [National Provincial Championship] which would suit the players. You would not have all that humungous travel which is part of the Super 14. In South Africa they are certainly not as interested in the Super 14 as they are in the Tri Nations. They've never been particularly competitive in the Super 14 so why not take the opportunity to look at what's better for Australia and New Zealand?

"If you had an expanded NPC, you would have the main provinces in Australia playing the main provinces in New Zealand, and the smaller states in Australia playing the smaller unions in New Zealand."

Moffett said Australian administrators had - by pushing the national competition which starts next year - made the mistake of "trying to replicate the NPC and Currie Cup".

"But those two competitions revolve around traditional rivalries and there are no made-up teams. That's why an expanded NPC would be an awful lot better than what is being pushed at the moment."

As for the Tri Nations Moffett said he "would instead concentrate on three Bledisloe Cup matches".

"Three Bledisloes is what it's about. It is time to rethink the alliance with South Africa ... and there needs to be a selfish look at New Zealand and Australia as the present schedule is going to kill the players."

Why restrict a competition that has been responsible for opening up provincial rugby to a wider audience!?
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Why restrict a competition that has been responsible for opening up provincial rugby to a wider audience!?
Expanding the Air NZ Cup to include the Aussies might be good, rather than persisting with Super 14, and would probably pick up extra supporters - nothing like NZ v OZ !

Tri-nations still relevant, I would have thought - good internationals in preparation for rest of the world.

Expanding Bledisloe Cup would really bring it on !!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:09 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Expanding the Air NZ Cup to include the Aussies might be good, rather than persisting with Super 14, and would probably pick up extra supporters - nothing like NZ v OZ !

Tri-nations still relevant, I would have thought - good internationals in preparation for rest of the world.

Expanding Bledisloe Cup would really bring it on !!

But if it aint broke why fix it?

The ANZ cup is different and i dont see why it should change!