Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dispensing Optician

Dispensing Optician

Old May 5th 2007, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

allyanddan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dispensing Optician

We are new to this forum, so sorry if this has been answered before.

We are planning to move to NZ in 2008. I am a dispensing optician and I have been trying to look at what salaries I could expect to earn. None of the job advertisments show the salary. Does anyone have any info on what I could expect to earn? We plan to come to the North Island, but don't know where yet.

Thanks

Ally
Old May 6th 2007, 5:54 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dispensing Optician

Originally Posted by allyanddan View Post
We are new to this forum, so sorry if this has been answered before.

We are planning to move to NZ in 2008. I am a dispensing optician and I have been trying to look at what salaries I could expect to earn. None of the job advertisments show the salary. Does anyone have any info on what I could expect to earn? We plan to come to the North Island, but don't know where yet.

Thanks

Ally
Hi Ally,

Welcome to the site. I don't know if these are accurate but at least they will give you some sort of starting point:
http://www.payscale.com/research/NZ/...pensing/Salary
http://homes.avcol.school.nz:2030/tr...hs/j45171h.htm
Old May 6th 2007, 7:12 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try contacting this NZ Optomitrist Association. They may be happy to give you some guidance. You never know , they may know of job vacancies.
Old May 6th 2007, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Hi Ally,

Welcome to the site. I don't know if these are accurate but at least they will give you some sort of starting point:
http://www.payscale.com/research/NZ/...pensing/Salary
http://homes.avcol.school.nz:2030/tr...hs/j45171h.htm
Thank you for the really quick replies. I have looked at the sites and will know what I am up against when I start applying for jobs. The annual leave allowance is very much lower that I have here, which is disappointing. I did expect the lower salary though. I realise it doesn't mean much until we do our reccy and find out what a salary will buy if/when we live in NZ.

Ally
Old May 11th 2007, 9:39 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

The annual leave allowance is very much lower that I have here, which is disappointing.
It will be 4 weeks minimum now, by government decree.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

sorry, I have to disagree with the payscale link even though it's just been updated.
I know for a fact that the average salary for a software eng/developer, although not the same job as you would looking at a payscale far inexcess of this figure more like > $55000 and not the $49589 as shown.
so please look upon these figures as the absolute lowest IMHO.
Regards
Jules
Old May 12th 2007, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
It will be 4 weeks minimum now, by government decree.
That is better, some places said three weeks and I heard that they make you take two weeks over Christmas (albeit that your Christmas is the best time of year for the weather).

Thank you

Ally
Old May 12th 2007, 6:40 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

...take two weeks over Christmas (albeit that your Christmas is the best time of year for the weather).
This past year it wasn't.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:50 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by happynz View Post
This past year it wasn't.

Tell me about it even at $75000 a year its a struggle to have the best without a mortgage ,overtaxed here but shoot who cares we love it still.
Old May 20th 2007, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

I think the salary for a dispensing optician is low both in NZ and the UK. I would not expect to be able to support a family on the salary, never mind take out a mortgage. If there are any dispensing opticians in NZ who are out there I would be interested in hearing from you about working conditions i.e holidays, salary etc

Thanks

Ally