Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:41 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

Thoughtful response, I agree language is critical, a few years ago I was in the US when they decided that teaching the ethnic spanish-speaking population in spanish just produced a seperate sub-group in the US that was limited by language.... the UK has still to realise this particular problem exists, no reason for NZ to go down a road that is already found to be fraught with problems.

Good pont you make about the salary drain to the home country - but that applies however an immigrant achieves the migration, student grad or not, its a cultural attribute of the immigrant.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KazUK
If you open up the doors to people from the 3rd world, like India, then loads will come over.

If you gave someone the choice of living in a village in the Punjab or NZ, anyone would say NZ.

Yes NZ needs more skilled people, but you have to be selective. Your engineering graduate may offer skills, but he will work 16 hours a day and send his salary back home and fail the cricket test.

Hey, Records Management might not be the biggest profession going, but there is a demand for overseas professionals so i'm chancing my luck.

My problem is that Indians stick together all the time. Fair enough you want to increase the population, but it has to be a good mix. If you let the Indians take over NZ will be the new Palestine. They wont need to use the language of their new country, once they have passed the test. There are immigrants to the UK who have been here for 40 odd years and know no English. You cant afford to have the same problems in NZ.

If NZ was to hit 20 million people and 14 million were from India, the non-indians would be treated as 2nd class citizens. They would only employ Indians for jobs as they would see it as some kind of service to employ their 2nd cousin. It happens in the UK all the time. If someone doesnt have the right surname, caste or religion, they will be overlooked.

NZ is already struggling to address the wrongs of the past with the Land Tribunals (yes it was the UK's fault)

What would the Maori say if the Indian population was to jump up so that they became the biggest group?
There would be no respect or recognition of anything Maori
Punjabi would be the new language of NZ
rugby replaced by cricket
The marae replaced by the gurdwara
no rugby on tv, just Shahrukh Khan 24/7

Nz is a great place with a great mix
it should stay that way with emphasis on the mix

Some of you may be offended by what i say, but having lived in a horrible place like Birmingham (where both the natives and immigrants are as bad as each other) i dont want to see NZ make the same mistake by allowing one major group to dominate.

If you've ever been down Southall in London, or Handsworth in Birmingham, you're transported to a different world (a mess)

You dont want Auckland to be the same

Well it looks like i've lit the touch paper with this thread so i'm going on a hiatus until i have something to update re: my application

Good luck to those applying, hopefully i'll see you all on Oriental Bay one day. I'll be wearing my Black Caps top (with Ryder on the back)

Until then, Goodbye

PS. I dont read the Daily Mail. I prefer the Telegraph, better sports coverage.
Yet more racist crap! You really don't like Indians do you?
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

What an arse.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
What an arse.

Ditto the above!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:06 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

What an arse.
Why thank you kind sir.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Why thank you kind sir.
Or should that have been a
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:32 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

If you open up the doors to people from the 3rd world, like India, then loads will come over.

If you gave someone the choice of living in a village in the Punjab or NZ, anyone would say NZ.

Yes NZ needs more skilled people, but you have to be selective. Your engineering graduate may offer skills, but he will work 16 hours a day and send his salary back home and fail the cricket test.

Hey, Records Management might not be the biggest profession going, but there is a demand for overseas professionals so i'm chancing my luck.

My problem is that Indians stick together all the time. Fair enough you want to increase the population, but it has to be a good mix. If you let the Indians take over NZ will be the new Palestine. They wont need to use the language of their new country, once they have passed the test. There are immigrants to the UK who have been here for 40 odd years and know no English. You cant afford to have the same problems in NZ.

If NZ was to hit 20 million people and 14 million were from India, the non-indians would be treated as 2nd class citizens. They would only employ Indians for jobs as they would see it as some kind of service to employ their 2nd cousin. It happens in the UK all the time. If someone doesnt have the right surname, caste or religion, they will be overlooked.

NZ is already struggling to address the wrongs of the past with the Land Tribunals (yes it was the UK's fault)

What would the Maori say if the Indian population was to jump up so that they became the biggest group?
There would be no respect or recognition of anything Maori
Punjabi would be the new language of NZ
rugby replaced by cricket
The marae replaced by the gurdwara
no rugby on tv, just Shahrukh Khan 24/7

Nz is a great place with a great mix
it should stay that way with emphasis on the mix

Some of you may be offended by what i say, but having lived in a horrible place like Birmingham (where both the natives and immigrants are as bad as each other) i dont want to see NZ make the same mistake by allowing one major group to dominate.

If you've ever been down Southall in London, or Handsworth in Birmingham, you're transported to a different world (a mess)

You dont want Auckland to be the same

Well it looks like i've lit the touch paper with this thread so i'm going on a hiatus until i have something to update re: my application

Good luck to those applying, hopefully i'll see you all on Oriental Bay one day. I'll be wearing my Black Caps top (with Ryder on the back)

Until then, Goodbye

PS. I dont read the Daily Mail. I prefer the Telegraph, better sports coverage.
Well thanks for that, at least we all know what you'll be wearing so we can all head in the opposite direction. Unbelievable.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Why thank you kind sir.
Are you really that desperate for compliments
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I would need to see the arse in question before i could comment

Neil
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I would need to see the arse in question before i could comment

Neil
Are you really that desperate for compliments
Think total eclipse ...
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Has he gone yet?!!

Martyc
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Rugby replaced by cricket.

No Rugby on tv. )
Yay
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

This is amazing. There are a lot of British who choose to leave the UK because they believe there are too many immigrants there. And they go to NZ - a pure Immigrant country - becoming immigrants themselves.

This is like vegetarians who don't eat meat for the sake of killing animals but have a genuine leather sofa at home. I have one of those living above me (I ate the meat though )
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:57 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibex
This is amazing. There are a lot of British who choose to leave the UK because they believe there are too many immigrants there. And they go to NZ - a pure Immigrant country - becoming immigrants themselves.

This is like vegetarians who don't eat meat for the sake of killing animals but have a genuine leather sofa at home. I have one of those living above me (I ate the meat though )
How ironic, there was me thinking that being anti-vegetarian was just like being anti-pakistani or anti-ginger! sheesh, bigotry is everywhere when you look properly isn't it?

Not eating meat and simultaneously buying leather is perfectly justifiable, except to extremists. If we all used that kind of logic, no one could ever do anything unless it was totally consistent and compatible with everything else.

Besides, there are a hundred different ways to end up with a leather sofa other than deliberately compromising your principles to buy one. What do you expect them to do with it? Bin it for consistency?

Sorry to be confrontational, I'm a pacifist and a pedant and sometimes those things are incompatible with each other. For all I know the person who lives above you could be a complete arse. The person that lived above me was.

WP (A non-vegetarian)
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:58 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I've not joined this thread so far because I think that immigration policy, racism and multi-cultural issues are way too complicated for me to add anything useful.

Black and white thinking isn't going to help though!

WP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.