Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

Another 5 million wouldn,t even be noticed here theres plenty of room, if they have skills and are paying the taxes they have as much right as anybody

Neil
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

There seems to have been a sudden increase in Daily Mail readers on this site ...
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:03 pm
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dustybin
There seems to have been a sudden increase in Daily Mail readers on this site ...
For any rabid right wingers missing the Mail's special form of bile this should help;

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KazUK
Integration is the key here
When i was in NZ i saw plenty of Asian (indian, chinese, Hong Kong) students who had awful english. Obviously the Universities are looking at how much money they cn make. How can these students integrate in NZ when they cant speak english
Does that mean you can speak Maori then? Some of them have awful English too.

If you want to integrate fully then maybe you should learn it?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Integration is the key here
When i was in NZ i saw plenty of Asian (indian, chinese, Hong Kong) students who had awful english. Obviously the Universities are looking at how much money they cn make. How can these students integrate in NZ when they cant speak english
They speak awful English but often do have very good jobs.

Some of them integrate well. but majority of people don't. That's my main concern.

at the end of the day, Its a Matter of Culture.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 6th 2010 at 11:29 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, i know i shouldnt be making generalisations

Just dont want NZ to jump to 5 million people overnight and be ruined
er...you know that you're planning to be a migrant eh?
I'm a bit confused?
Surely you would help swell the numbers too. Or are you a special case?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
They speak awful English but often do have very good jobs. I know a Korean girl who just arrived from Korea (her qualifications from there) in 2006 November, and she got a job (IT) at the Ministry of Justice in 2007 January and she got paid $64000 (the first salary offer). She is not my friend, but she is my (Kiwi) friend's friend. I hear she earns $90000 now. She was 29 at that time, and her partner is a Kiwi too.

Some of them integrate well. but majority of people don't. That's my main concern.
That's no different to the Brits! How many on here ask for meet ups with other Pomms even though English is your native language? Go to Spain, France etc and then see how well you integrate.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
That's no different to the Brits! How many on here ask for meet ups with other Pomms even though English is your native language? Go to Spain, France etc and then see how well you integrate.
Exactly...Aussie bars, Irish pubs..I reckon it's a human phenomenon

it's just when they don't look like "us" or talk like "us" that we seem to pathologise it.

It gets my goat for sure. I figure that I'm lucky to be here and I'm grateful that NZ allowed me to be here. Why would I be shirty about others having the same opportunity?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
seriously I would write a book of myself - what I had to go through - the pain of being an immigrant. (I am the one who speak awful English.... ) am considering to do this project when I do my phD in future. The economic impact of immigration/Immigration, social integration and mental health Or analysis of food consumption behavior.

The best way is - not being an immigrant and treated as a 3rd class citizen. Its just awful. I was depressed for a decade and still am (slightly) I think.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 7th 2010 at 1:20 am.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Havent read all the replies but the first post is such a load of crap.
I'm guessing its from someone who is finding it hard to get into NZ and is feeling bitter but i could be wrong.
NZ NEEDS a bigger better qualified population, The Govt is doing what it can to encourage
young people to take up uni places but they cannot do so unless they meet the required standard.
Its a long process but the aim is to raise the overall standard of education in NZ
not lower the entry requirments for the universities. Grants and scholarships are available
to many percieved disadvantaged sectors of nz society. Maori uptake is very low even
though grants can be claimed for as little as 1/16th maori ancestry.
University costs are rising all around the world, the days of the priveledged few getting almost
free degrees on the back of the tax payer are long gone.
How can these graduates come from "fake" universities ?? The statement says
they would be graduates of NZ universities meaning they have studied for and gained
their degrees in NZ.
Are you suggesting that NZ should only throw its doors open to UK imigrants ?
Foriegn students pump a lot of much needed capital into all universities.
Have you any idea how many campus's would fold if it wasnt for overseas students.

You once posted this
I've only been to the north island and thought it was great
the people were all friendly- and i mean people from all races
the rudest person i met was a brit
You seem to have changed your opinion on some people.

And this
try Birmingham. Its hell on earth. Its a concrete jungle full of uncivilised people
What, like indian or chinese graduates who manage to gain their degrees in foriegn
universities despite english not being their first language.

and this
NZ is great- if people dont like it then why move there?
Its chilled out,
I think you should have another look at your previous posts and take a deep breath.

It could be argued that an indian engineering graduate who is emplyed in NZ possibly designing
or improving components that may go off for export and in doing so raise the view of kiwi manufactured
goods around the world would be of more use to NZ than someone who files things away like an archivist/records manager.
I know which proffession i would rather give a visa to. but thats just me.

Last edited by Justcol; Jun 7th 2010 at 1:04 am.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:05 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

International students make universities money but domestic students are a cost (Until they go postgrad), they will never turn foreign students away if they can possibly avoid it. Hence domestic students are capped

In a way it seems like a good plan to increase the numbers of educated young foreigners moving to New Zealand. In my experience (as a career student) is that there is a massive variation in the quality of universities abroad, but in New Zealand students are punished equally so doesnt it matter .
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:20 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

I see much more value for NZ in encouraging healthy young Asian (or any nationality) thats highly educated and "professional" than some middle aged, over weight, poorly educated tradesman from England (or any nationality) who comes from a cash in hand culture instead of contributing to taxes.

Sorry if thats generalising but there is some truth in that.

Let them in, chirst there is only 4m people in NZ anyway and the country could easily accommodate 30m and it would still be fine (UK is fine even with 60m in my opinion).

More people would mean more opportunities for all. NZ could then find itself more on a world stage rather than being a backwater no-one cares about.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:40 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
Sorry if thats generalising but there is some truth in that.
Here here, same is true of all sensible countries, just more warm bodies doesn´t make sense at all.

Last edited by simonsi; Jun 7th 2010 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:43 pm
dkc
Just Joined

dkc is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

As an asian who graduated from Australia I would like to share a few reasons why they should stay there. First, the salary in undeveloped countries are incredible. My family paid me AUD $60,000 for my Australian master degree but I was earning around AUD $650 a month after I came back and worked in my hometown. This figure is drastically lower than my classmates in Oz where they earn $40-$70K p.a. Additionally, it also makes my English become worse since I don't use it everyday like when I was in Australia. Thirdly, it seems like people in Bangkok do not regard qualifications from Australia/NZ. I know that they DO pay something like 65,000BHT per month for some UK./US. graduates but not Australian or NZ graduates.This means the wage disparity is so HIGH! Moreover, some without any qualification but have connections with those insiders in MNCs tend to earn more chance to receive better job opportunities.

I recently took my IELTS I got : Listening 7.5 Reading 7 Writing 7.5 Speaking 6.5 (due to 5 years of staying away from OZ). This result is from the BritishCouncil where they assume the British accents. For IDP, I got L.7/R.7/W7/Speaking 7.5. The highest band for a non-native speaker is 8.0 so I think my English isn't bad?

When I was working in Singapore, I met a recruiter who graduated from Melbourne Business School which is another faculty at my university, she was shocked at the salary I earned in Bangkok.

That's why I've just lodged my PR application.... hope to get it soon.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

KazUK is an unknown quantity at this point

If you open up the doors to people from the 3rd world, like India, then loads will come over.

If you gave someone the choice of living in a village in the Punjab or NZ, anyone would say NZ.

Yes NZ needs more skilled people, but you have to be selective. Your engineering graduate may offer skills, but he will work 16 hours a day and send his salary back home and fail the cricket test.

Hey, Records Management might not be the biggest profession going, but there is a demand for overseas professionals so i'm chancing my luck.

My problem is that Indians stick together all the time. Fair enough you want to increase the population, but it has to be a good mix. If you let the Indians take over NZ will be the new Palestine. They wont need to use the language of their new country, once they have passed the test. There are immigrants to the UK who have been here for 40 odd years and know no English. You cant afford to have the same problems in NZ.

If NZ was to hit 20 million people and 14 million were from India, the non-indians would be treated as 2nd class citizens. They would only employ Indians for jobs as they would see it as some kind of service to employ their 2nd cousin. It happens in the UK all the time. If someone doesnt have the right surname, caste or religion, they will be overlooked.

NZ is already struggling to address the wrongs of the past with the Land Tribunals (yes it was the UK's fault)

What would the Maori say if the Indian population was to jump up so that they became the biggest group?
There would be no respect or recognition of anything Maori
Punjabi would be the new language of NZ
rugby replaced by cricket
The marae replaced by the gurdwara
no rugby on tv, just Shahrukh Khan 24/7

Nz is a great place with a great mix
it should stay that way with emphasis on the mix

Some of you may be offended by what i say, but having lived in a horrible place like Birmingham (where both the natives and immigrants are as bad as each other) i dont want to see NZ make the same mistake by allowing one major group to dominate.

If you've ever been down Southall in London, or Handsworth in Birmingham, you're transported to a different world (a mess)

You dont want Auckland to be the same

Well it looks like i've lit the touch paper with this thread so i'm going on a hiatus until i have something to update re: my application

Good luck to those applying, hopefully i'll see you all on Oriental Bay one day. I'll be wearing my Black Caps top (with Ryder on the back)

Until then, Goodbye

PS. I dont read the Daily Mail. I prefer the Telegraph, better sports coverage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.