Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disgraceful if Overseas Students Allowed to Get Residency in NZ!

Why not put it to the people of NZ in the form of a referendum?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Because referendams are ignored by the nz govt.
We had one on should parents be allowed to smack their children
earlier this year. The outcome was a huge YES but the govt had already
said prior to the result that the outcome was irrelevent as it would not
change the current laws that make it a criminal offence.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:22 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
In fact if domestic students had to meet the international entry requirements quite frankly many wouldn't (literacy/English language being a prime example).
So, so true!

Originally Posted by Robbo25
NZ must be careful with this as Australia has found the flood gates opening with hairdressing students and the like, who then get PR. The education industry for such things has become big business, so now they are having to tackle the thorny issue the economy suffers whilst a business sector (education) readjusts to a lower level of income.
It wouldn't be that hard to prevent this happening though- you just set the only graduate PR entry at highly skilled professions using some sort of rating system and only through universities of a decent calibre, so no PR through hairdressing at the local tech.

Originally Posted by KazUK
Integration is the key here
When i was in NZ i saw plenty of Asian (indian, chinese, Hong Kong) students who had awful english. Obviously the Universities are looking at how much money they cn make. How can these students integrate in NZ when they cant speak english

If this policy was put into practice NZ would end up a mess like the UK, where ghettos of minorities exist, where people dont have to learn english ever
PMSL, they were probably tourists OR on one of the many uni exchange schemes Kiwis enjoy

Originally Posted by dkc

I recently took my IELTS I got : Listening 7.5 Reading 7 Writing 7.5 Speaking 6.5 (due to 5 years of staying away from OZ). This result is from the BritishCouncil where they assume the British accents. For IDP, I got L.7/R.7/W7/Speaking 7.5. The highest band for a non-native speaker is 8.0 so I think my English isn't bad?
That's a very respectable IELTS score- good luck with your PR application

If you open up the doors to people from the 3rd world, like India, then loads will come over.

If you gave someone the choice of living in a village in the Punjab or NZ, anyone would say NZ.
I think you've fundamentally misunderstood a skills-based immigration system.

Yes NZ needs more skilled people, but you have to be selective. Your engineering graduate may offer skills, but he will work 16 hours a day and send his salary back home and fail the cricket test.

An engineering graduate working 16 hours a day will pay a shed load of tax and can do what the hell s/he likes with their pay.

My problem is that Indians stick together all the time. Fair enough you want to increase the population, but it has to be a good mix. If you let the Indians take over NZ will be the new Palestine. <snip>

If NZ was to hit 20 million people and 14 million were from India, the non-indians would be treated as 2nd class citizens. They would only employ Indians for jobs as they would see it as some kind of service to employ their 2nd cousin.
He's not a racist, but .....

I hope you lot haven't scared this poster off, I'm looking forward to seeing him integrate
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:28 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
Because referendams are ignored by the nz govt.
We had one on should parents be allowed to smack their children
earlier this year. The outcome was a huge YES but the govt had already
said prior to the result that the outcome was irrelevent as it would not
change the current laws that make it a criminal offence.
Yeah, sometimes the majority just aren't right though
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:20 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Yeah, sometimes the majority just aren't right though
Yes but damn it it's our right to be wrong!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Not eating meat and simultaneously buying leather is perfectly justifiable, except to extremists.
Two meat eaters arguing on vegetarians

Of course you're right, except for my upper neighbour. He has chosen not to eat meat (infact anything that has/had eyes) but still bought a leather sofa.

It may be poor example, my intention was to point out hipocrisy where somebody chooses NZ to solve his/hers intolerance towards immigrants.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:27 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibex
Two meat eaters arguing on vegetarians

Of course you're right, except for my upper neighbour. He has chosen not to eat meat (infact anything that has/had eyes) but still bought a leather sofa.

It may be poor example, my intention was to point out hipocrisy where somebody chooses NZ to solve his/hers intolerance towards immigrants.
Yeah I know - the things I argue about sometimes are ludicrous. I seem to have a lot of buttons that are easily pressed, but it's a known weakness that I'm working on

Your basic point was well made without the analogy.

Thanks for taking my criticism in good spirit.

Cheers,

WP
Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobDon
Ditto the above!
More clever folk come in, bringing spicey food, its a win-win situation

The only part I am not sure about is automatic PR.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibex
except for my upper neighbour. He has chosen not to eat meat (infact anything that has/had eyes)
I'm going to go one better, I'm not going to eat anything that casts a shadow
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:33 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

simpsons?