British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Discombobulated (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/discombobulated-778586/)

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 23rd 2012 10:06 pm

Discombobulated

As some of you know, I have been trying to get a job as a trainee anaesthetic technician. I decided to study for a couple of relevant papers to give myself a better chance of being taken on. I passed these last week.

However I can't even get an interview for a position and North Shore Hospital aren't recruiting this year. Feedback from one hospital was that my medical experience wasn't recent enough:frown:.

Apparently NZ is very short of A.T.'s, so it's rather frustrating. I'm trying not to take this personally but I'm hugely disappointed. So despite my not liking the NZ maternity set-up it looks like I shall have to do a midwifery return to practice course.

I'm not anxious to get back into midwifery given my history of miscarriage & infertility, as it can be quite painful (especially as I'm now at a certain age :eek:) but needs must I guess.

Just needed to have a mild rant & offload.

MrsFychan Nov 24th 2012 5:59 am

Re: Discombobulated

sorry to hear that you don't seem to be getting anywhere but :fingerscrossed: something comes along for you

simonsi Nov 24th 2012 7:13 am

Have you tried Southern Cross in Glenfield?

Bo-Jangles Nov 24th 2012 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10398401)
However I can't even get an interview for a position and North Shore Hospital aren't recruiting this year. Feedback from one hospital was that my medical experience wasn't recent enough:frown:.

Apparently NZ is very short of A.T.'s, so it's rather frustrating. I'm trying not to take this personally but I'm hugely disappointed.

I heard that North Shore and Auckland Hospitals have hit the fiscal cliff and aren't recruiting anyone but essential staff. Besides, I expect there will be some element of winding down for Christmas already, you might have better luck in the New Year. :fingerscrossed:

skends Nov 24th 2012 10:44 am

hi vital - sorry to hear that, i guess whenever they start recruiting trainee AT's you will be in an excellent position - i have no idea how these things work in NZ but i wish you luck. Maybe like Bo-jangles says - after xmas and new year there may be some openings.
Not sure what you meant about the maternity side of things but as an AT - maternity is also lurking/ - unless of course your workplace dosent offer maternity services. Its not my favourite speciality!

Charismatic Nov 24th 2012 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10398889)
I heard that North Shore and Auckland Hospitals have hit the fiscal cliff and aren't recruiting anyone but essential staff.

Yep my 'ickle sister just took her state finals to be a nurse and can't find anything much in New Zealand. It may seem a bit short-sighted given the increasing number of old people and increase in life expectancy but...

...O.K. I can't really think of anything redeeming to say but any questions should be addressed to your local MP...by mail...in a readily recyclable format.

I have no idea of how governments allocate funding, given the $100m for a school payroll system that doesn't work as well as the system it replaces (another big government IT project that fails to deliver, imagine our surprise! :rolleyes:) and the cycleway that wasn't I think it may be some sort of...Lotto based system :confused:.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 24th 2012 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10398856)
Have you tried Southern Cross in Glenfield?

I wrote to Southern Cross a couple of months back & I had a reply saying they don't train anaesthetic technicians. I found this odd because the NZATS website says they do :unsure:.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 24th 2012 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10398889)
I heard that North Shore and Auckland Hospitals have hit the fiscal cliff and aren't recruiting anyone but essential staff. Besides, I expect there will be some element of winding down for Christmas already, you might have better luck in the New Year. :fingerscrossed:

ADHB didn't give me an interview either & didn't get back to me when I asked for feedback.

The recruitment process is only once a year to begin in February. Seems to follow AUT's yearly intake. So unfortunately there will be nothing now until next year. C'est la vie.

Skends - the maternity system in NZ is very different from the UK system. I don't like it for many reasons but I shall just have to suck it up for a while if it gives me the chance to get where I want to be.

Thanks for the positive thoughts all. I've stopped taking the rejections personally now.

Maybe need to consider becoming a high-class tart more seriously :eek::rofl:

mickey_d Nov 25th 2012 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 10399701)
Yep my 'ickle sister just took her state finals to be a nurse and can't find anything much in New Zealand.

Apparently there's something like 1400 new qualifiers looking for work & less than 700 jobs & not all full time.

simonsi Nov 25th 2012 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10399725)
I wrote to Southern Cross a couple of months back & I had a reply saying they don't train anaesthetic technicians. I found this odd because the NZATS website says they do :unsure:.

Umm they have two presently....so very odd, perhaps approach NZATS for training opportunities instead of the hospital direct???

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 25th 2012 9:02 pm

I'll try that. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Caz8NZ Nov 26th 2012 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10399735)
ADHB didn't give me an interview either & didn't get back to me when I asked for feedback.

The recruitment process is only once a year to begin in February. Seems to follow AUT's yearly intake. So unfortunately there will be nothing now until next year. C'est la vie.

Skends - the maternity system in NZ is very different from the UK system. I don't like it for many reasons but I shall just have to suck it up for a while if it gives me the chance to get where I want to be.

Thanks for the positive thoughts all. I've stopped taking the rejections personally now.

Maybe need to consider becoming a high-class tart more seriously :eek::rofl:

I hate job hunting and i know the feeling about taking the rejections personally. Particularly recently - I applied for a job that i have just the right experience and background for - got the generic rejection email. so I decided to phone the agency for "feedback". After a short conversation she invited me in to interview with her to determine further if i was suitable for the role - now they are putting me forward to the company.....i'm not sure they read applications/cv's properly!

On another note - have you also tried CMDHB? I'm pretty sure we are a teaching hospital and always have lots of AUT students here.

lardyl Nov 27th 2012 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10399735)
.....Maybe need to consider becoming a high-class tart more seriously :eek::rofl:

Could offer you some on the job training if you like......would have to be pro bono (on your part) of course....

Seriously though, best of luck working your way along whichever route opens up for you :fingerscrossed:

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 27th 2012 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10402597)
I hate job hunting and i know the feeling about taking the rejections personally. Particularly recently - I applied for a job that i have just the right experience and background for - got the generic rejection email. so I decided to phone the agency for "feedback". After a short conversation she invited me in to interview with her to determine further if i was suitable for the role - now they are putting me forward to the company.....i'm not sure they read applications/cv's properly!

On another note - have you also tried CMDHB? I'm pretty sure we are a teaching hospital and always have lots of AUT students here.

CMDHB did advertise but to be honest it's just too far from Gulf Harbour to be feasible. So I didn't go for it. With hindsight etc. :o

Good luck with your new opportunity.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 27th 2012 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 10403494)
Could offer you some on the job training if you like......would have to be pro bono (on your part) of course....

Seriously though, best of luck working your way along whichever route opens up for you :fingerscrossed:

Cheeky monkey :sneaky::rofl:

Thanks mi duck!