Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Disaster on the $ front

Disaster on the $ front

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Disaster on the $ front

Its almost at $2.26. I guess many of us are looking a bit daft not having grabbed a bunch of kiwis at $2.50!!! Where will it end?? How many eons afore we ever see $2.60 plus. I soooooooooo feel for people who are just making the move like we were about 4 years ago and they want to cash in their GBPs. Can anyone actually afford to do that these days? I wonder if it will be $2 for a pound come xmas?? What complete and utter shite on the fiscal front. Just about to commit a load of GBPs to 3.5% for 12months offshore with Anglo Irish bank. Wonder what the rate will be October 2010???
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Disaster on the $ front

Originally Posted by Genesis
Its almost at $2.26.
I so feel for people who are just making the move like we were about 4 years ago and they want to cash in their GBPs. [/quote]

So do I. Everyone will just have to hope for a global upturn.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I to can feel for the folk but at the same time for so long they had it so good in the UK,all things must end.
With each day i rub my hands in glee...for purely selfish reasons in that a mews house in The Royal Borough of Kensington,is getting ever closer.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:36 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I need to buy some £££

I'm liking it. But I think I'm an anomoly.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:55 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I'm over the bloody moon! It all means we couldn't've bought our house now, so the depressing 2.72 wasn't so bad after all.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:29 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the unfortunate position of having income in the UK which we need to bring over to NZ to live on.

What with reducing interest rates and a terrible exchange rate, things have got really tough recently.

The problem is not the strength of the Kiwi $ but the weakness of the GBP. Essentially the UK has made itself bankrupt propping up the banking system.

I dont see that changing any time soon, and $2 to the pound looks like a real possibility to me

Last edited by NakiMan; Sep 22nd 2009 at 6:32 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

In view of this situation we have decided to rent for at least 12 months now
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 8:41 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

All these people who think NZ and OZ for that matter are cheap countries and poor relations to Mother England are in for a rude awakening.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all

Its almost at $2.26. I guess many of us are looking a bit daft not having grabbed a bunch of kiwis at $2.50!!! Where will it end?? How many eons afore we ever see $2.60 plus. I soooooooooo feel for people who are just making the move like we were about 4 years ago and they want to cash in their GBPs. Can anyone actually afford to do that these days? I wonder if it will be $2 for a pound come xmas?? What complete and utter shite on the fiscal front. Just about to commit a load of GBPs to 3.5% for 12months offshore with Anglo Irish bank. Wonder what the rate will be October 2010???
Hi, A couple of questions, can I open an account with Anglo Irish Bank from here? and, how safe are they if I give them my wedge?
I need to open an account somewhere soon to put some GBP and sit and wait for the exchange rate to get better.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrier2
Hi, A couple of questions, can I open an account with Anglo Irish Bank from here? and, how safe are they if I give them my wedge?
I need to open an account somewhere soon to put some GBP and sit and wait for the exchange rate to get better.

Its easy peasy mate. All on line form printed off and filled out and posted. All you have to do is get a copy of your CURRENT (mine was not!!) passport or driver's license certified at a court house. We did it all from NZ posted the stuff off and today we got our approval. They are owned by the Eire Govt so I understand and have the guarantee similar to the UK set up....50k GBP per account holder..ie Mr and Mrs gets 100k cover. All pretty bullet proof aye. It was 3.7 for 6 months its down to 3.55 now..still better than the half of one % at Nationwide!!!!!!!!!!! Mind you just googled them and they are laying huge numbers of staff off just now..but if they are in the guarantee scheme does it matter?? By the way I think you and me will have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oong wait for the rates to go in our favour. I think I missed the boat BIG time jan just gone. However my wife Kate works with people (some very young people) dying of cancer, so really I must stop whinging about a bit of cash aye?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrier2
You will be in for a long wait.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
In view of this situation we have decided to rent for at least 12 months now
So are we Kerching!!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

Its easy peasy mate. All on line form printed off and filled out and posted. All you have to do is get a copy of your CURRENT (mine was not!!) passport or driver's license certified at a court house. We did it all from NZ posted the stuff off and today we got our approval. They are owned by the Eire Govt so I understand and have the guarantee similar to the UK set up....50k GBP per account holder..ie Mr and Mrs gets 100k cover. All pretty bullet proof aye. It was 3.7 for 6 months its down to 3.55 now..still better than the half of one % at Nationwide!!!!!!!!!!! Mind you just googled them and they are laying huge numbers of staff off just now..but if they are in the guarantee scheme does it matter?? By the way I think you and me will have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oong wait for the rates to go in our favour. I think I missed the boat BIG time jan just gone. However my wife Kate works with people (some very young people) dying of cancer, so really I must stop whinging about a bit of cash aye?
this is something that i am not clued up on but there is a lot of talk in ireland about toxic debts etc and how they have set up something called NAMA. its all above my head but if you google it maybe it might be of some use.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

I like it too, paying child maintenance is a little easier with these rates. Although she'll probably get a bigger xmas pressie now!!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a disaster if you need to keep transferring funds back and I do.
With offshore accounts (if that's what these are - some HSBC ones mentioned earlier), do check whether UK/Eire Government Deposit Bank Guarantees apply (doubt they do) and then ask if that risk is acceptable to you.

Last edited by luvwelly; Sep 24th 2009 at 12:25 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.