British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Direct Debit Charities: A Warning. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/direct-debit-charities-warning-522500/)

Avid Mar 17th 2008 9:36 pm

Direct Debit Charities: A Warning.

I was stopped in central Wellington yesterday by a young woman claiming to be acting on behalf of 'Save the Children'.

I told her in my best English accent that I would love to donate but, as she could no doubt tell, I wasn't a Kiwi.

She informed me that it was no problem as they now accept direct debit via ALL credit cards.

So be warned...pretending to be a tourist no longer works.

dreamfish Mar 17th 2008 10:20 pm

Re: Direct Debit Charities: A Warning.

yeh we got a visit from the WWF who asked for $36 a month by DD.
we tried the whole 'just arrived' and it didnt wash.

Knightm Mar 18th 2008 4:12 am

I played the dumb blonde (sorry girls) and told them that my wife took care of the family finances and I was not allowed to sign anything:) So I filled in the form without the account number and signture....no one ever phoned up.

Buzzy--Bee Mar 18th 2008 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 6076085)
I was stopped in central Wellington yesterday by a young woman claiming to be acting on behalf of 'Save the Children'.

I told her in my best English accent that I would love to donate but, as she could no doubt tell, I wasn't a Kiwi.

She informed me that it was no problem as they now accept direct debit via ALL credit cards.

So be warned...pretending to be a tourist no longer works.

I just say in my best Queen's English accent "awfully sorry old chap I don't speak English".

This has yet to fail.

Buzzy

Maz Mar 18th 2008 7:15 am

I've only been approached by one person volunteering for a charity, and that was the Red Cross. They don't even rattle their collecting tins here... :confused:

Bo-Jangles Mar 18th 2008 7:42 am

Just politely say 'No thank you' - works everytime for me. :rofl:

Avid Mar 18th 2008 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 6077667)
I've only been approached by one person volunteering for a charity, and that was the Red Cross. They don't even rattle their collecting tins here... :confused:

They are trained to.....ahem......target people who look like they have money to spare.....

or make eye contact

pascalr Mar 18th 2008 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 6077909)
They are trained to.....ahem......target people who look like they have money to spare.....

or make eye contact

nice:D

Maz Mar 18th 2008 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 6077909)

or make eye contact

Oi! :p It's the not making eye contact I happen to be rather good at. :) I dress very nicely, for work at least. ;)