Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

is a diploma in nursing recognised as a skill shortage?

is a diploma in nursing recognised as a skill shortage?

Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

emma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really nice
Default is a diploma in nursing recognised as a skill shortage?

Hi everyone,

my name is emma and i am hoping to move to new zealand next year with my partner keith and little boy sean, we are hoping to start applying over the next couple of months . however I was wondering wether my nursing diploma is a recognised qualification for the skills shortage? if not what would be the best visa for me to apply for?

any tips would be great xxx
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is a diploma in nursing recognised as a skill shortage?

Originally Posted by emma jayne
Hi everyone,

my name is emma and i am hoping to move to new zealand next year with my partner keith and little boy sean, we are hoping to start applying over the next couple of months . however I was wondering wether my nursing diploma is a recognised qualification for the skills shortage? if not what would be the best visa for me to apply for?

I would contact nursing agencies over here and see if you can secure a job first, this would speed up the application
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as long as you are a UK Registered Nurse, you will get your NZ registration. It's a bit of a process to go through and you need to sit the English Lanaguage test. You need to apply for your registration via the New Zealand Nursing Council. Apply direct to any of the DHB's District Health Boards.. there are 21 of them.

Good luck
Gill
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: is a diploma in nursing recognised as a skill shortage?

Hi everyone,

Hi emma,

Yes yor diploma in nursing is on the skills shortage list. I am currently awaiting for my PR. I went with Geneva Health who arranged a face to face interveiw with the hospital and I got a job offer in feb 09. You will need to gain you new zealand registration and to do this you have to pass the academic IELTS (english exam with 7 in every category cost £105 to take!) IELTS is valid for 2years so this would be your first step after registering with an agency.

If you need any more info happy to help. BW ragdolls2
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

emma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really nice

thanks so much! thats a massive help!

I had an idea that the diploma was recognised but was unsure about wether i would need to sit a test. i am currently living in liverpool, would i need to do the test here in the uk before i am accepted?

i am going to the expo next month so hoping to catch up with a few nursing agengies there!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

Hi emma - you need to sit the IELTS to be able to apply for your NZ nursing registration ( 485 NZ dollars) If you are going to be the principle applicant you need your NZ nursing registration to be able to claim immigration points. (once you have your registration you then have to apply for an annual practising certificate to be able to work in NZ (96 NZ dollars). We went to the expo in March and there were lots of nursing agencies so they will provide you with loads of info. I only went with Geneva health so have no other reference but have found them to be extremely helpful. When I received my job offer Geneva Health appointed me an immobilisation consultant who e-mails me regulary offering support and will phone me if I ask her to. BW
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

thats great your one of many i have chatted to and heard about this geneva health!

i am a community district nurse tho do you think i would have difficult time trying to find this particular job as this is my passion and i fear i may have to do a completly different job?
ps thanx for the sppedy reply
ems
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Emma - it is in the agencies best interest to find you a post that you are experienced in and enjoy ( means good retention!!). Once you speak to an agency they will be able to reassure you. when I first started to consider NZ I sent my CV to all NZ agencies i could find through google. the response was over whelming!!!. They have a huge deficit of nursing staff one doctor told me it was near the 5000 mark!!. the agency asked me where I would like to live Nth or Sth Island. I chose the nth and the rest is history as they say.

The process is very wearing at times. You need to get a transcript of your nursing programme for the university / school of nursing (£10) you attended and verification from the NMC(£35) Both these institutions have to send the info direct to the NZ nursing council. this process can take a couple of weeks / months depending on how quick they respond to your request, again the nursing agency you choose to go with will advise you this.

Exciting timesxx
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

kejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nice

My OH has just requested the info to be forwarded from her Uni and the NMC. Must admit they were very quick to supply and forward the required information.

From sending in the forms to them we had a copy of OH's transcript back from the Uni within 2 weeks (with them obviously forwarding a copy to NZNC).

IELTS is a bit of a pain, they are almost always pretty full and it is best to book up as soon as possible. We had to go Cambridge to get OH's done, other options were Coventry and Oxford.

kejktfc
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

thanks that clears up alot, i didnt realise am guna have to go to london to sit the exam tho

nevermind all will be worth it. expect that the reps at expo will help with the job situation also, thanx for the tip tho i may do as you did and email a couple of companys to see if they want me

thanx again and wish me luck!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:14 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

thanks that clears up alot, i didnt realise am guna have to go to london to sit the exam tho

nevermind all will be worth it. expect that the reps at expo will help with the job situation also, thanx for the tip tho i may do as you did and email a couple of companys to see if they want me

thanx again and wish me luck!
Hi Emma, i am a community district nurse too, and have got a job through geneva also. I am so impressed with the company, very friendly. However, I am not going to do community when I eventually get there, personal preference (just thought it is scary going other side of the world, so will do ward work for a while untill I feel my feet), although dont know how i will like it as so diff to what we do in community eh? Then, geneva assures me that with my experince in community from UK I can then look at doing that in NZ when I feel that I am ready

Tina. x
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working as a community nurse. My particular job is a bit of an oddity because it's rural health...which basically means that we get to do everything that they can't persuade nurses to drive out from town to do . But it includes a huge amount of district nursing
I know for sure that there are plenty of district nurses employed and the job is basically the same as in the UK, I'm sure there are a few differences, but nothing outstandingly different...except maybe that parking does seem to easier over here
That said I believe that community nurses get paid less than hospital nurses . I'm not entirely sure on that, having not worked in an NZ hospital, but several people have told me that it is....any nurses on here able to confirm or deny that one please?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. I have Diploma in nursing and the only problem I encountered (well, 1 of many really) was that I did not get points from my Diploma without it being assessed by NZQA which took about 6 weeks fast tracked. They only recognise the Degree!! If you need the points from your Diploma get it assessed asap as it does take a while Bevissa
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
Hi Emma, i am a community district nurse too, and have got a job through geneva also. I am so impressed with the company, very friendly. However, I am not going to do community when I eventually get there, personal preference (just thought it is scary going other side of the world, so will do ward work for a while untill I feel my feet), although dont know how i will like it as so diff to what we do in community eh? Then, geneva assures me that with my experince in community from UK I can then look at doing that in NZ when I feel that I am ready

Tina. x
thanx hun thats a great bit of advice there! i do hope to continue district nursing for a while longer simply because i do enjoy it so much ! ps wen you say it is less paid???do you still get the millege allowences?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Hi there. I have Diploma in nursing and the only problem I encountered (well, 1 of many really) was that I did not get points from my Diploma without it being assessed by NZQA which took about 6 weeks fast tracked. They only recognise the Degree!! If you need the points from your Diploma get it assessed asap as it does take a while Bevissa
Hi
Another nurse here !
WE should start our own forum
I am registered with the NZNB ,And have submitted my EOI and now awaiting it to be DECISION SUCCESFUL
I havent got a job but have recently applied to Tonics whom are hoping to get me a job SOON [They have been very informative by the way ]
I have over 20 years in the NHS and work as a BAND 7 .But I want to get back to basics and enjoy time with my children and partner , thats why we choose NZ. I have only a diploma too so I hope i don t encounter any probs
Wishing all you nurses success anyhow
JO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.