Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dilemma 2020 - I want to leave NZ but my partner wants to stay 2020

Dilemma 2020 - I want to leave NZ but my partner wants to stay 2020

Old Jan 12th 2020, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dilemma 2020 - I want to leave NZ but my partner wants to stay 2020

I'm not able to give any advice as I've not been in this situation, but I'm sorry this has happened to you.
Becoming a parent certainly changes our perception of things.
I wish you all the best sorting it out..
​​​​​​

Last edited by Mishclark; Jan 12th 2020 at 12:34 pm. Reason: Didnt finish post!
Old Jan 21st 2020, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

weejada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dilemma2020
Thanks for your replys.
Currently in the UK have been here for 7 weeks and leave to go back to NZ next week. My partner is also here and said how much he likes it. Yes I could easily settle back here.
in terms of it not working unfortuantely it's not something I think about. It could not work in NZ and then I am left as a single mother with no one in NZ.
if the shoe was on the other foot I would do it for him. Plus he has stated how he does not want to live in Auckland so living in the UK would be exactly the same.
Hi, we moved back last year. Similar situation. We did the trip back and thought we could reintegrate but failed to account for the financial side of life and that it is different visiting to living in a place.

When we were visiting we didn't do normal life, such as rush hour, school runs, staying in etc. Now that has all come crashing back. Let's just say we quickly got fed up with NEDs/Chavs doing around in gangs while everyone claims it's a normal state of affairs. Sitting in traffic is demoralising especially with constant rain and little sunshine. Staying in is depressing after going to beaches most weekends. You quickly realise more time is spent sitting in watching a film instead of being outside.

Needless to say we regret coming home. With a new child nursery costs are astronomical in UK. Without 2-3 years of work history here you are entitled to no benefits (result of the papers peddling benefit migrants from EU). We wish we had stayed put and are looking at returning to NZ. The UK just isn't what we remember.

I tell you the above because it is important to look at the practical side of living back in the UK rather than the holiday mode of living. You may end up in the same situation. Please fully consider everything, including finances.

Good luck with what you decide, it isn't easy having this decision while caring for a little one.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejada
Hi, we moved back last year. Similar situation. We did the trip back and thought we could reintegrate but failed to account for the financial side of life and that it is different visiting to living in a place.

When we were visiting we didn't do normal life, such as rush hour, school runs, staying in etc. Now that has all come crashing back. Let's just say we quickly got fed up with NEDs/Chavs doing around in gangs while everyone claims it's a normal state of affairs. Sitting in traffic is demoralising especially with constant rain and little sunshine. Staying in is depressing after going to beaches most weekends. You quickly realise more time is spent sitting in watching a film instead of being outside.

Needless to say we regret coming home. With a new child nursery costs are astronomical in UK. Without 2-3 years of work history here you are entitled to no benefits (result of the papers peddling benefit migrants from EU). We wish we had stayed put and are looking at returning to NZ. The UK just isn't what we remember.

I tell you the above because it is important to look at the practical side of living back in the UK rather than the holiday mode of living. You may end up in the same situation. Please fully consider everything, including finances.

Good luck with what you decide, it isn't easy having this decision while caring for a little one.
Sounds like a depressing life but the same can happen to you again. It's all about timing really and if it's not the traffic or weather, it could be the housing costs and prices for food etc and things change quickly. Location within that country plays a big part too and why did you leave NZ in the first place if everything was better there? You say "With a new child nursery costs are astronomical in UK" but even NZ isn't that cheap. The world is getting smaller and unfortunately even the simple life is not free. Places closer to home that might offer you the simple life would maybe be Cantabria. It's a bit like an untouched UK with NZ feel and at least you can still get a stone cottage for under 30K but would have other challenges.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 21st 2020 at 1:34 pm.