Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

IS IT DIFFICULT TO GET INTO NZ WITHOUT A TRADE?

IS IT DIFFICULT TO GET INTO NZ WITHOUT A TRADE?

Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

sam423 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IS IT DIFFICULT TO GET INTO NZ WITHOUT A TRADE?

me and my wife really want to move to nz permanentley,but niether have no trade.we are both under 30 have money,want to buy a house and settle down,will work anywhere doing anything to start with but eventually want to run a little business like a sandwhich shop by the beach if they r in demand. i am willing to do a painting course or upgrade my eu lpg gas certificate,which doesnt count much over there

do they use lpg gas bottles over there,?maybe on campsites?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice
Default Re: IS IT DIFFICULT TO GET INTO NZ WITHOUT A TRADE?

Hi,

If you're under 30 thats ideal. You could go over there on a working holiday visa and then apply for residency once you are settled, I believe!
I just got back from a holiday in the South Island and there are loads of LPG cylinders over there, mains gas is not very widespread so as you can imagine, there is quite a big demand for LPG.

Best of luck!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

One cannot just come and work on lpg gas bottles. You will need to be registered and have your UK quals assessed by the Plumbing and Gasfitting Board of New Zealand. (please click the link)
The camp sites and holiday parks will have registered gasfitters to attend to the gas. you will need to be employed by a gasfitting and /or plumbing company to do that work.

As you are under 30 you could come over on a Working Holiday Visa. This would allow you to come to NZ for a while and to do a little temporary work.

Another cheap way to travel is to WOOF and as you have already worked on camp sites and holiday parks, you could always try applying to an assortment of holiday parks for work in return for free accom as per the WOOOF ethic. Our own local holiday park has had seasonal people come to stay on the park for free in return for work. ( Not touching gas though. They have a registered gas person for this.)

It will not be possible for you to work full time at 'just anything' . For that you would need a full time job offer first and then apply for a work visa.
If you were to go down this route then your job offer needs to match your work experience/trade quals/skill etc.
If the job you are offered is not on one of the New Zealand Immigration Shortages lists , then the NZ employer can't just employ you . They have to prove to NZIS that there is no NZ resident or citizen who could do that job.

If you want to emigrate to New Zealand then you need to have a skill that NZ wants. There is a list of occupations that New Zealand sees as skilled. Not all these skilled occupations are wanted or needed though. The ones that are are on the skilled shortages list.

If you have the skill, work experience, a degree, a profession then you can apply under what is called the skilled migrant category provided you have enough points. The skilled migrant category works on a points system..

For example a gasfitter and a painter are seen as skilled occupations. For the New Zealand Immigration service to accept that you are skilled enough for the occupation you would need to show you have trained enough and have enough work experience to match the level that NZIS require.

However, painter is not on the shortages list, so an NZ employer couldn't just employ you as a painter. They would have to prove there is no NZ painter for the job.

Gasfitter is on the immediate shortgage list so an NZ employer could employ you BUT you would also need the gas fitting quals to be assessed by PGDB and those results shown to NZIS. The PGDB are strict about the standard of overseas qualifications.

For either of the above trades you should look at obtaining an NVQ 3 /C&G level 3 or above.

As you are young, you should maybe explore NZ via the working holiday visa and see what you think of the place. you could maybe then look at what occupations NZ needs and study for those when back on the UK.

This post is not meant to put you off in anyway and I am sorry it is a bit of a ramble.

It is meant to start you off with some small understanding of how the New Zealand Immigration service works. From that you may be able to decide what is best for you both.

Please do come back with any thoughts , ideas or questions. We are all here to help and who knows, you could see yourselves one day with a sandwich shop by a beach somewhere.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info

The only problem i have with getting an nvq in uk is that i have been away for 10 years and would hate to go back there. Is there anyway i could gain a qualification while in NZ? Do they have quick courses followed by assesment like they have in uk?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Is it possible to do an apprenticeship in NZ with an employer over a few years where i can gain a qualification at the end,or will my working visa run out during this?
how long do working visas last for?
can they be extended?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that you have to be resident in the UK to get a Working holiday visa.

Where are you living currently?
Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Yep uk residents,just worked in spain for last 10 years.
looks like the only way in is to go back to uk and get an nvq in a trade that i know,or was thinking if i went on a 23 month working visa ,maybe i could complete a 1 year course over there to get started or be an apprentice again.

Havent really got a clue what to do,just looking at every angle
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:44 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you have lived and worked in Spain for last 10 years NZIS would not class you as having been resident in UK for the purpose of a UK Working Holiday Visa.

A WHV, I think, is only valid for 12 months and cannot be extended and is only able to be applied for/used once.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 6:20 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with the advice above. We fell for NZ in 2001, went back to the UK and dh trained in mental health nursing. This was something he wanted to do but wasn't the only career he was interested in but it offered him the chance to train on a bursary and no debt (diploma route) and gain a qualification SERIOUSLY in demand in NZ (and Oz and just about anywhere), not for the PR in our case (dh citizen by descent anyway) but because we wanted free choice of where to live.

It sounds tricky if you've been out of the UK for a while as I'm not sure how easy it would be to rock up there and study/train. Have a look at the occupations in demand and see if either of you are part way there on any of them.