Reload this Page >

Dietitian needing advice...NZ or Australia

Dietitian needing advice...NZ or Australia

Old May 22nd 2012, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

smiler81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dietitian needing advice...NZ or Australia

Hi everyone,

I'm very new at this and hope someone can give me some advice. I am stuck between a move to NZ or Australia most likely Auckland or Brisbane but open to other locations. I'd like to continue working as an acute dietitian (currently working in an acute hospital in NHS) and want to make a permanent move. I know I have to sit an exam for either country but cannot decide which one to sit! I believe dietetics is a profession on the NZ skilled list but not Australia so will that make it easier for a visa? Judging by some job vacancies I have looked at Australia seems to pay more but will that be offset against the cost of living? Really looking forward to starting the process if I can decide which exam to start revising for!

Regards
Emma
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dietitian needing advice...NZ or Australia

Originally Posted by smiler81
Hi everyone,

I'm very new at this and hope someone can give me some advice. I am stuck between a move to NZ or Australia most likely Auckland or Brisbane but open to other locations. I'd like to continue working as an acute dietitian (currently working in an acute hospital in NHS) and want to make a permanent move. I know I have to sit an exam for either country but cannot decide which one to sit! I believe dietetics is a profession on the NZ skilled list but not Australia so will that make it easier for a visa? Judging by some job vacancies I have looked at Australia seems to pay more but will that be offset against the cost of living? Really looking forward to starting the process if I can decide which exam to start revising for!

Regards
Emma
Hi Emma, just wanted to welcome you to our NZ forums. I can't help with your question. I don't know anything about the Australian immigration system, though I'm sure you'll be getting help with that from the Australian forum.

What would be your likely salary in NZ? You will need to factor in that Auckland is an expensive place to live but it will depend on what sort of lifestyle you have currently, what sort of lifestyle you are expecting, have you any money to bring with you etc., etc.

Don't wish to put you off, just want to make sure that your plans are realistic.
Good luck.
Old May 24th 2012, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

pom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of light

Australia have just taken dietitian off the skilled migrants list as they have enough home grown. NZ still need them as, (well certainly north island, not sure if there is a undergrad course at Otago) the only way to qualify as dietitan is a postgrad qualification.

The pay in NZ works out about the same as over here, so not too bad, but always a bit better if there are 2 incomes coming in....

Becuase one of the biggest chanllanges for NZ dietetics is the DM2 amounst the mauri population, employees look favourable on a smatering of maouri - (I think for some professions, like social work it may be a requirement.) There is lots of info on the NZ dietetics board website, but expect you already know that off by heart
Old May 24th 2012, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! Yes, I've had a look on the dietetic website Can't work out where all the jobs are listed though to get an idea of what is available. We have NHSjobs here that has it all.
If dietetics is off the main list for Australia (but is on schedule 2 for now, for state nomination whatever that is) does that mean there will never be a way to work in Australia?
Emma
Old May 25th 2012, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

pom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of light

No, nothing like NHS jobs - and not as many jobs advertised, this is pretty much it - http://dietitians.org.nz/jobs/?no_cache=1

- although some health centres advertise separately. It may be worh contacting a medical agency

I'm fairly sure if you are an NZ registered dietitian you can work in Oz, which would make it possible once you were registered.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

This may be of interest....

http://www.kiwihealthjobs.com/jobdet...lth,16511.html
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:40 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Regards
Emma
Dieticians over here are involved with health plans within GP practices, they also work in hospitals (public and private) I think that people can also use their private health insurance to pay for consultations, much the same as acupuncture, physio, chiro etc are also covered. On that basis alone I would imagine that there are more jobs over here than in New Zealand, there are 4,700 practicing dieticians in Australia. And the money, taxation and pension benefits will be better too.

Why not try http://daa.asn.au/ for starters.

Oh..... the cost of living is definitely better here, it's far more of a struggle in New Zealand.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:44 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Currently 32 jobs are being advertised in Australia, but there's no reason why you shouldn't be self employed in this profession.

http://www.seek.com.au/healthcare-jobs/dieticians

This one is paying $60 -$75K http://www.seek.com.au/Job/dietitian...coast/22436759
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks guys for all your help! Will get looking into the suggestions :-)
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:02 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually if you do the old google trick, you might be surprised at the pay scales in the 2 countries. According to what I read a dietitian in NZ earns between $43,000 and $90,000. In Australia they earn $38,000 to $77,000. A new graduate starts off on $43,000 in NZ at the Health Boards.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 3:32 am
Banned

Many thanks guys for all your help! Will get looking into the suggestions :-)
Don't forget to allow for the difference in exchange rate between NZ and Australia. $75 Australian = $96 New Zealand.

There is also a big difference in the tax you pay. From 2st July 2012
The tax-free threshold increases from $6,000 to $18,200. This means if you earn less than $18,200 per year you do not need to pay income tax, or if you earn more then $18,200 per year you will only pay income tax on earnings over $18,200.

The personal tax rate increases from 15% to 19% applying to earnings that exceed $18,200 but not $37,000. The second marginal tax rate increases from 30% to 32.5% applying to earnings that exceed $37,000 but not $80,000

If you have a taxable income below $80,000, you will receive a tax cut (around $300 a year).
You can find out more about it here http://www.ato.gov.au/content/00322112.htm
Old Jun 11th 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi

There is also a big difference in the tax you pay. From 2st July 2012
Yes, if you are a salary of $75,000 in Australia, next year you will save a grand total of $128 in income tax. If you are on $90,000, next year you will end up paying more tax because they are increasing the tax rates in Oz for those earning over 18k a year.
Someone on $75,000 in NZ will actually pay slightly less income tax next year than someone on the same salary in Australia. As NZ has a more flat rate tax, as salary increases, NZ has a greater and greater advantage over Australia as far as income tax is concerned.
And if you're taking that job in Rockhampton, don't bother packing a sauna, because you'll be walking into one every time you walk out the front door, for about 7 months of the year.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:41 am

As it happens, I think Australia is a great country. As long as you go where you think you'll be happiest. That's the main thing Smiler81. Going by your username I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up. Good luck!

Last edited by waikatoguy; Jun 11th 2012 at 6:47 am.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:30 am
Banned

Emma you mentioned Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch.

I'd say Brisbane over Auckland, Wellington over Christchurch.

I've mixed feelings about Melbourne, I'm not much of a city type and find it too large and bustling. I prefer a more relaxed lifestyle.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Didn't even think of tax! Thanks! Many thanks for your responses. Brisbane is my first choice at the moment since I have an old school friend living there. My main issue is getting a visa though as my profession is on the 2nd skills list. I reckon I'd be happy in either country, and thanks for the Melbourne thoughts. Although I live in a city, it's a small one situated about 40 mins from Manchester. I'm originally from a small village in Scotland though so Melbourne probably isn't for me!

Emma