Diesel v's Petrol

Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:48 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default Diesel v's Petrol

Okay now i know that deisel is cheaper because it isn't taxed at the pump and that makes it about 30c cheaper than petrol - and so you have to buy miles to run a diesel car and i've been to the relevant web sites and looked at their indeciferable charts. So question is . . . does anyone have experience of running a deisel and how much are these miles to buy? Is it worth it for the extra fuel economy or is petrol the way to go? Hubby is a deisel head and finds thinking about running a petrol car so scarey he hides!

Last edited by spid; Feb 4th 2008 at 1:49 pm. Reason: pertol cars don't exist!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:02 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diesel v's Petrol

We bought an second hand (well probably sixth hand) petrol 4x4. It seemed to work out fairly even stevens between the difference in pump prices once you added on the diesel miles but I honestly can't remember now how much it was to buy 10k miles.

Everytime you shop at most (if not all) supermarkets you get a fuel docket anyway which gives you between 4c and 10c off each litre for 1 fill, which helps.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

I think you will find that there is not actually much choice of diesal cars anyway...the certainy isn't the large no's of say TDI engines that you would see on the forecourt in UK.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:36 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
I think you will find that there is not actually much choice of diesal cars anyway...the certainy isn't the large no's of say TDI engines that you would see on the forecourt in UK.
There seems to be a good choice down here (Cch) but a lot of Jap imports and they used to have to do something to the diesel ones when they got here, can't remember what, but had something to do with poor quality diesel and we were told that it wouldn't be long before they wouldn't be importing any more diesels by several car sales lots.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
There seems to be a good choice down here (Cch) but a lot of Jap imports and they used to have to do something to the diesel ones when they got here, can't remember what, but had something to do with poor quality diesel and we were told that it wouldn't be long before they wouldn't be importing any more diesels by several car sales lots.
I stand corrected