British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Did you get travel insurance for trip home to UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/did-you-get-travel-insurance-trip-home-uk-419549/)

74NZ Jan 17th 2007 12:14 am

Did you get travel insurance for trip home to UK?

I'm off home for a four week trip sometime in June to July. Yipee

However another member has said to make sure I get travel insurance. (Thanks Steve :) ) Which made me curious as to.........

How many of you got cover at all?

Cover for the trip, but nothing in the UK (Good ol' NHS)?

Or any combination of the above.

Thanks Guys

Jude J Jan 17th 2007 12:31 am

Re: Did you get travel insurance for trip home to UK?

I didn't when I went over for my sisters wedding.
I didn't even think about health cover, and now I think about it I presume the NHS still see to its citizens, even if they live abroad?
But I lost my wedding and engagement ring whilst in Germany and only found out my insurance here didn't cover me whilst abroad, even though we have premium cover. :(
Actually, I wasn't really bothered about getting money back for them, the wedding ring was a one off and I couldn't have replaced it anyway.

kwprwn Jan 17th 2007 12:40 am

Originally Posted by 74NZ (Post 4292116)

However another member has said to make sure I get travel insurance. (Thanks Steve :) ) Which made me curious as to.........

Thanks Guys

I read somewere on here ...dont ask me were that if you dont pay your contributions then the nhs will charge you for treatment

also if your baggage gets lost, and never seen again, then you cant claim it off the airline, they wont pay for it all, they generally say claim on insurance

But I know what you mean it might be tempting not to, but I have to admit I wouldnt not travel without

74NZ Jan 17th 2007 6:16 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn (Post 4292169)
I read somewere on here ...dont ask me were that if you dont pay your contributions then the nhs will charge you for treatment

also if your baggage gets lost, and never seen again, then you cant claim it off the airline, they wont pay for it all, they generally say claim on insurance

But I know what you mean it might be tempting not to, but I have to admit I wouldnt not travel without

Heavens! thats a worry:ohmy: I've never heard that. I will investigate further, though not sure where yet.

It makes me wonder if honesty is always the best policy! Maybe I would keep stum about living abroad.:unsure:

I've heard that Southern Cross do a competitive quote so will see the figure we are talking about before making a final decision.</IMG>

poppets Jan 17th 2007 6:16 am

Thanks Guys

i got my travel ins with Air NZ when i went back a few weeks ago, i got it with them cos its was easier at the time & i already had enough hassles just trying to get back quickly. Air Nz do free travel ins if you book a flight online though i think:unsure:

Batty Jan 17th 2007 6:26 am

I forgot to get ours and only remembered when we were in Frankfurt on our way here - I spent the rest of the trip in a frenzy in case anything went wrong:eek: (cool smilies :thumbsup: )

Oops! that was on our way TO NZ.

pixi-dust Jan 17th 2007 6:26 pm

our ASB visa gives us free travel insurance as part of its deal - we had to upgrade it to a gold one though. Before we knew about the insurance on the card we got a quote from the bank and one from the travel agent - the banks one was $800 :eek: for 2 for a months travel back to the uk. The travel agent was $680. The upgrade of the card was free - guess which one we did. ;)

mazi Jan 18th 2007 2:23 pm

When we came to Italy in Summer (northern Summer) 2005 we did take travel insurance (can't think why as we have gold cards, maybe they were maxed out at the time) but it only cost about 100 dollars - where are you lot going for your travel insurance?!

As I said we have gold cards so usually get our travel ins that way but I wouldn't go anywhere without it as I have to visit a hospital in every country I go to. Saying that, I never bother with it when I fly from Italy to the UK (and I don't use the gold card for those flights as a rule).

74NZ Jan 18th 2007 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by pixi-dust (Post 4294928)
our ASB visa gives us free travel insurance as part of its deal - we had to upgrade it to a gold one though. Before we knew about the insurance on the card we got a quote from the bank and one from the travel agent - the banks one was $800 :eek: for 2 for a months travel back to the uk. The travel agent was $680. The upgrade of the card was free - guess which one we did. ;)

Thanks for that, we also have ASB credit cards, though not nice shiny gold ones;) .

I will definitely have a word to our financial adviser and see what we can do about that, and check out the conditions.
</IMG></IMG></IMG>:thumbup:

BEVS Jan 18th 2007 10:00 pm

Hi.

We used Southern Cross. They charged $280 for two weeks .
$409 for 5 weeks.

We bank with ASB also.
ASB did suggest I use them but it was a whopping $800 for the five weeks.
Once we had our mortgage they suggested the gold credit card which comes with travel insurance. We did seriously think about this but the $110 pa fee put us off. Shame, as it is an easy wat to be covered. We had this type of cover with our platinum visas in the UK.
You can use a rewards point system to offset against the fees. I think its 1 point for $1 spent. There again its $20 pa for joining the rewards scheme.

pixi-dust Jan 19th 2007 3:56 am

BEVS - we got our gold card about three weeks ago - and there was an offer where there was no fee for the year. It may still be available. :unsure:

BEVS Jan 19th 2007 7:56 am

Aye PD:p . We were offered a free first 6 months. :sneaky: Not for us. We don't pay to spend our own money.

edited... not meaning to sound crabby - which it wasn;t meant that way.. LOl.. if you get what I mean .

74NZ Jan 21st 2007 7:17 am

[quote=BEVS here;4299379]Hi.

We used Southern Cross. They charged $280 for two weeks .
$409 for 5 weeks.

Hi Bevs. was that price for a family. As its just for myself and my 5 year old, could it be cheaper?

I will get off my arse this week and talk to the various powers that be about their prices and let you know :D

BEVS Jan 21st 2007 9:25 pm

It may well be cheaper.

You can do an on-line quote to check.

https://www.scti-online.co.nz/public...=policya1.aspx

jueinnz Jan 22nd 2007 12:40 am

Thanks Guys

We didn't get insurance, and we like most English would not dream of going anywhere with out it before we came here, I felt it was really expensive.
We weighed up the pros and cons and what could go wrong... We would be ok if we had an accident in UK with the hospitals etc, so risk was to ourselves on the way over and our luggage, it was a risk we decided to take.