Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Did anyone use a migration agent?

Did anyone use a migration agent?

Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Firestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura about
Default whos hubby

Oh can't even get my name right not much hope
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone use a migration agent?

We did as I felt our application had "issues" someone with experience of the system could help with. These were related to the timescale we had to sort a visa as we were rapidly running out of time on our WHV's, suitable job category's to look for employment in and apply under, some dubious medical history on my part and the limited time we had available as we were still searching and starting in new jobs having just arrived in WLG.

To be honest we did have a bundle of problems with them however these were eventually sorted out very quickly and professionally once I spoke directly to the right person with the right language about the complaints and compensation tribunal process I was aware of.

Our work visa's were finally sorted less than a week before our existing WHV's ran out, despite promises they would be done way in advance, which caused a lot of stress. EOI however was selected on the first draw we went in to and the residence visa was granted within 3 months of submission once they got their act together and finally submitted it.

Their fees broke down as follows.....
Work visa professional fee $1700 (plus GST@ 15%)
Residence visa Professional fee $3,500 (plus GST@ 15%)

Then the standard government fees....
EOI application lodgement fee $440
Residence application lodgement fee $1,550
Migrant levy $620 ($310 x 2)
Work visa application lodgement fees $460 (230 x 2)

They would have normally taken half the professional fees up front and the remaining at lodgement of the residency application. One of their biggest screw ups was not getting us to sign any form of contract for their services at the outset so this put us in a strong position. Given the issues we had, which are too numerous to detail here, they agreed they wouldn't seek payment for anything until we had a decision.

When the time came to pay the bill I was so hacked off with the bad service received, until they pulled their act together, I offered to pay $3k for professional fees (inc GST) and no more. They accepted. Makes me wish I'd gone in even lower!

Given the situation we were in at the time though with the various uncertainties we had I think $3k is a pretty small price to pay when getting the right decision was going to have such a massive affect our lives moving forward.

Would I recommend them though? NO
Would I use them again? NO
Would I consider using a agency again if required? YES. As has been mentioned if you feel there are factors which make make your case "unusual" I think it's worth it given its such a life changing decision. I suggest holding off some payment to the end as a service quality guarantee and raise and document every mistake they make or delay to the application they cause to haggle on the final price.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

I should add that the agency we started using turned out to be the same one my new employer had used before to successfully get a couple Brits in over the past few years.

We were unlucky with the advisor we got allocated from the firm who delegated a lot of the work to the new secretary and didn't monitor the progress as he flitted between NZ and OZ.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

e4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nice

Hi there, good luck with your application! Here's a few links to some agri job sites :-)

Farmright - http://www.farmright.co.nz
Agri Jobs - http://www.fonterra.com/fencepost/jo...uationsvacant/
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by e4ebs
Hi there, good luck with your application! Here's a few links to some agri job sites :-)

Farmright - http://www.farmright.co.nz
Agri Jobs - http://www.fonterra.com/fencepost/jo...uationsvacant/
Thank you