Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Did anyone use a migration agent?

Did anyone use a migration agent?

Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did anyone use a migration agent?

Hi,
Hubbie, me and 2 kids are wanting to emigrate to NZ but are unsure if we should go about it by ourselves or use a migration agent?
Just wondered if anyone had used one, their thoughts and what it cost them. We have had a quote of £2250. Not sure if this is good or bad.

Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:49 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone use a migration agent?

Sounds about normal Though I have only the experience of what people have quoted on here.

It's a lot of money that could be better spent on plane fares and all the other myriad expenses involved in emigrating. All I can assume they do is fill in the forms for you, tell you what documents are needed and tell you what to do at each of the stages. I cannot think what else they can do NZIS does not give preference to applications involving advisors so you don't gain anything there.

Most of us on here have done it ourselves. It is not that difficult and if you do choose to do it yourself then we're usually friendly and will answer any queries however small I understand that it can seem confusing and daunting at first.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ will tell you everything you need to know.

Have a look at what you need to do before paying that much money-at least you then know for certain that you don't want to do it yourself

Your husband is a farmer I believe
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

We have done it all ourselves. It was very straight forward.

We considered Oz a few years ago but it fell through as my job was taken off the skills shortage list before I got the visa application in. On that occasion we used an agent and found it to be incredibly expensive for not a lot of stuff all of which we could have done ourselves.

So this time we did. It's easy.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
Sounds about normal Though I have only the experience of what people have quoted on here.

It's a lot of money that could be better spent on plane fares and all the other myriad expenses involved in emigrating. All I can assume they do is fill in the forms for you, tell you what documents are needed and tell you what to do at each of the stages. I cannot think what else they can do NZIS does not give preference to applications involving advisors so you don't gain anything there.

Most of us on here have done it ourselves. It is not that difficult and if you do choose to do it yourself then we're usually friendly and will answer any queries however small I understand that it can seem confusing and daunting at first.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ will tell you everything you need to know.

Have a look at what you need to do before paying that much money-at least you then know for certain that you don't want to do it yourself

Your husband is a farmer I believe
Thank you so much for your advice . I wasn't sure how easy/hard it was applying yourself which is why I though I would ask.

Thank you for the link. Have been on the site quiet a few times. Housework etc suffering as when kids are in bed instead of doing it Im glued to the net looking at things.

Yes husband is a farmer. We currently live on his family farm in the Pennines where hes worked the last 10 years. If we are able to get over we plan for him to work for someone for 2/3 years learning the NZ way of farming, making contacts etc then set up on our own.

Thank you again Claire
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by M_and_M
We have done it all ourselves. It was very straight forward.

We considered Oz a few years ago but it fell through as my job was taken off the skills shortage list before I got the visa application in. On that occasion we used an agent and found it to be incredibly expensive for not a lot of stuff all of which we could have done ourselves.

So this time we did. It's easy.

Thanks for the reply. Reassuring to know that it's not too hard. Ideally hoping to be out there Oct/Nov- husband wants to see the last tup sale over here (big thing in farming land ). Hard part is gonna be getting the job offer we think but he may be coming over in Sept to try and meet farmers and get a job that way

Thank you again, Claire
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I did ours There is much info gathering, which even if you pay an agent, you would have to get all the info together for them anyway. Good luck
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

333redangel is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all, ive just joined forum, (hubby been on it 4 months) just like 2 back up what boopy is saying. . . . . . . we shelled out £500 for starters with a agent then found this site. . . . . .great find !!!! sacked the agent and did our selves, with the help/advise off people on here. . . . . thanks all !!!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:56 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 333redangel
hi all, ive just joined forum, (hubby been on it 4 months) just like 2 back up what boopy is saying. . . . . . . we shelled out £500 for starters with a agent then found this site. . . . . .great find !!!! sacked the agent and did our selves, with the help/advise off people on here. . . . . thanks all !!!
Nosey parker here wants to know 'who's hubby?'
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:08 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by c_wal10
Thanks for the reply. Reassuring to know that it's not too hard. Ideally hoping to be out there Oct/Nov- husband wants to see the last tup sale over here (big thing in farming land ). Hard part is gonna be getting the job offer we think but he may be coming over in Sept to try and meet farmers and get a job that way

Thank you again, Claire
Yes, I remember replying. Farmers are on the ISSL so he will need a job offer first unless you have enough points between you to apply for residency without a job offer. This would mean a work visa to start working. Unless the start date was late enough that you could apply on the SMC.

One thing is that they don't call them tups over here, always rams. My partner who was brought up on a sheep farm didn't know what a tup was even though they do use the phrase tupping time And I'm not sure what they'd make of yows even though they're pretty good at mangling their vowels are NZers! Could be a regional thing though...he's from the South Island.

Alston is lovely-always used to make the effort to drive up and through there on the way from my annual visit to the Lakes and to my parents in Co. Durham, far more scenic than the A66. Usually used to walk along Cow Green and down to the bottom of Cauldron Snout, the dog loved it!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

333redangel is an unknown quantity at this point

333firestorm
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:32 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

OP, good on ya. We didn't use an immigration agent and I can only concur with what other posters have written. Although, if someone's background has got a little bit awkward i.e. bankruptcy, a guest of HM government, a health issue etc then an immigration agent might help them navigate around some of those if they were obstacles to getting a visa.

Just one small thing on the farming front. NZ is having a drought presently. I don't know what that will do to future prices of stock or land or to jobs. I accept prices will fluctuate generally.

If you look on trademe.co.nz for jobs sometimes there are agricultural vacancies along with all the other vacancies.

Good luck. Also, New Zealand is gaining an excellent reputation for it's milk which is about to eclipse it's lamb meat sales internationally.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 13th 2013 at 11:34 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:06 am
Just Joined

djb81 is an unknown quantity at this point

No need to use a migration agent unless you have a complicated situation. Just read the rules and online forums and you should be fine. I did it and saved myself heaps of money, plus it went through really quick. Good luck!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

We did for our LBTV visa but will be doing it ourselves for the WTR visa
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I am going over next month on a temp visa. The ITA is being sent tomorrow. we did the whole thing on our own.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just as nosey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.