Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Did anyone immigrate without a job?

Did anyone immigrate without a job?

Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Did anyone immigrate without a job?

Arrived in tauranga in jan 2006 with PR and no jobs. We found that the best way to find work was to go and knock on a few doors and get the face to face contact. That way a lot of employers take you seriously and know you are committed. We started to look for work in the middle of Feb 2006 (just after school holidays) this allowed us time to set up bank accunts, get IRD numbers, find schools, fnd somewhereto live, buy a car, furniture etc.

I got a job almost immediately and my wife who was a shool teacher at the time did one term as a relief teacher and then secured a permanant position.

You do have to make compromises with the work for instance i was an engineering manager for a large phamaceutical company ( but there isnt any similar industry like that in taurang) so I accepted a job as the production supervisor for a fertilizer company.

It took us a while to accept that the pay was pants and the cost of living was high but the lifestyle was so much greater than our expectations so just love it here.

2 and a half years later my wife now owns and runs the Helen Ogrady speeach and drama academy for the bay of plenty and I am the site manager for a major chemical company.

Its quite exiting when you arrive with no jobs. It realy forces you out there to meet people and some of our best friends are those we met when we were setting up our new lives
Old Oct 4th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yes. We put the house on the market, waited for the visas, the house sold, I quit my job and we were on the plan three weeks later. We both have jobs, we bought a section, built a house and almost have lived happily ever after!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Doesn"t everyone arrive without a job ? Everyone i know did
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

No, not everyone comes without a job. Many in Nursing and other medical frequently have a job before arriving. I have read of others on here having one before hand too. So, it is possible to get one, but my experience, in my field is that you really have to be hear first and give it some time.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of

thanks for all the posts, very reassuring. I guess it's just scary to leave everything you know (with dependants in tow) and move to the other side of the world and hope for the best. But with a bit of prior research, it seems that we should hopefully be ok.