Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

did anyone else find this difficult?

did anyone else find this difficult?

Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:01 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: did anyone else find this difficult?

Originally Posted by simonsi
No problem! Once we've worked out how to move the money markets to psych the £ higher we can surely manage a teensy change to earth orbit to sort out your fresh produce

Either that or come up with some glasses that turn green into red...
Those wouldn't be the rose tinted spectacles I've heard so much about would they?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:05 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teeym
Those wouldn't be the rose tinted spectacles I've heard so much about would they?
you got me!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by teeym
I'm hoping that rump steak is seasonal too!
It is, steak season is all year round

Check out this
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibex
It is, steak season is all year round

Check out this
Yup and 'cheap' meat from the likes of The Mad Butcher is usually cheap for a reason. Good quality usually comes with a higher price tag to match. There's no accounting for taste; we go to friends houses for dinner and BBQs and they usually brag on about how cheap the steak was and wax lyrical about how good it is. I generally try to avoid it, as my jaws and gag reflex don't cope well with chewing boot leather.

I agree with Bevs on the veggies too, I don't ever remember a time in my life in the UK where I would have seen tomatoes for sale with 'bottom end rot' or scabby and scarred fruits, the likes of what we see in the supermarkets here. Mostly I attribute the poor quality due to lack of correct storage in most shops rather than the them starting out as poorer quality. Fruit and veg shops pile it high and leave stuff hanging around far too long with flies and wasp crawling all over. Stuff like soft fruits being kept in sweaty polythene bags outside in the sun.

UK supermarkets would have sold it off as 'Whoopsies', long before it reached the overripe, squashy, limp or shrivelled stage. Not so here, it will stay on sale at full asking price until it's practically unfit for consumption.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Apr 5th 2010 at 9:40 am.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I don't buy veg on a sunday usually because I figure that it's definetly not market fresh that day

I do like buying in season though...I only ever buy what's cheap or in season but my weaknesses are bananas and mangoes

I hate crap meat so never ever buy at mad butcher.
I only (well mainly) buy free range chicken and pork which I sometimes get from supermarket, sometimes from butcher

for people coming to Auckland, then I recommend nosh for meat and sometimes veg as they have good specials
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:54 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yup and 'cheap' meat from the likes of The Mad Butcher is usually cheap for a reason. Good quality usually comes with a higher price tag to match. There's no accounting for taste; we go to friends houses for dinner and BBQs and they usually brag on about how cheap the steak was and wax lyrical about how good it is. I generally try to avoid it, as my jaws and gag reflex don't cope well with chewing boot leather.

I agree with Bevs on the veggies too, I don't ever remember a time in my life in the UK where I would have seen tomatoes for sale with 'bottom end rot' or scabby and scarred fruits, the likes of what we see in the supermarkets here. Mostly I attribute the poor quality due to lack of correct storage in most shops rather than the them starting out as poorer quality. Fruit and veg shops pile it high and leave stuff hanging around far too long with flies and wasp crawling all over. Stuff like soft fruits being kept in sweaty polythene bags outside in the sun.

UK supermarkets would have sold it off as 'Whoopsies', long before it reached the overripe, squashy, limp or shrivelled stage. Not so here, it will stay on sale at full asking price until it's practically unfit for consumption.
The UK supermarkets have their food specially prepared sized and cloured to suit their needs. The Golden Delicious apples are sprayed 7 times to ensure no blight contamination, colour correctness, no bruising etc...hence why it is so hard to bite through the skin! Tomatoes from Italy are picked green to supermarket sizing and loaded into massive wharehouses, gassed to stop ripening. They are loaded onto container ships and regassed at the last mo to send them red before shelving hence no taste. All of the other veg from Kenya, Uganda, egypt etc is treated the same. If that is what people are stupid enough to set as an acceptable standard then give me the overripe shiverilling variety please
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
The UK supermarkets have their food specially prepared sized and cloured to suit their needs. The Golden Delicious apples are sprayed 7 times to ensure no blight contamination, colour correctness, no bruising etc...hence why it is so hard to bite through the skin!
Indeed and they get a lot of that produce from New Zealand, we generally get what's leftover that didn't meet the exacting export specifications.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

The UK supermarkets have their food specially prepared sized and cloured to suit their needs. The Golden Delicious apples are sprayed 7 times to ensure no blight contamination, colour correctness, no bruising etc...hence why it is so hard to bite through the skin! Tomatoes from Italy are picked green to supermarket sizing and loaded into massive wharehouses, gassed to stop ripening. They are loaded onto container ships and regassed at the last mo to send them red before shelving hence no taste. All of the other veg from Kenya, Uganda, egypt etc is treated the same. If that is what people are stupid enough to set as an acceptable standard then give me the overripe shiverilling variety please

Karma for that...british supermarkets are not to be upheld for their ethics.
Not that we can say that the Australasian one's are but british supermarkets have a particularly shady record
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

All of the other veg from Kenya, Uganda, egypt etc is treated the same.
African lettuce....................... yuck.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bo-Jangles;8473069]Yup and 'cheap' meat from the likes of The Mad Butcher is usually cheap for a reason. Good quality usually comes with a higher price tag to match.]

Hello
We have a great Mad Butcher here in Rotovegas. I can honestly say we have had some fabulous steak from there and this week end I cooked a leg of MB pork and it has been delicious. OK some of it may be that I'm an wonderful cook, but it pays to shop around eveywhere as there are lots of inconsistencies with supplies.

Gill
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

Good quality usually comes with a higher price tag to match
I didn't try Mad Butcher during our trip but meat from the supermarkets (PaknSave, Countdown, etc.) was all good. And at least here in Europe this is not where the best quality may be found.

Speaking of lettuce, I've been said the italian one is fertilized with waste water Yumee!