Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Devonport,Auckland

Devonport,Auckland

Old Dec 24th 2011, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of
Default Devonport,Auckland

Just took a look on Google streetview of my old rental pad,Rata rd Cheltenham Beach. It's not great viewing for the returnee.
Remember this is supposed to be Mega-money-ville

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=new+...p=12,29.1,,0,0

a. The houses look poorly maintained,bearing in mind these houses are $1M starting price
b. People have 15yr old Toyotas parked outside.
I'm not pretending (even) that I'm worthy stayed there by good fortune. My rental has since been demolished/rebuilt.
Perhaps it's a barometer of how things are,but if the Hooray Henry's are struggling ....
P.S. there is one Porsche 911 if you look hard enough (pretentious moi ?!!)
P.P.S Happy Chrimble

Last edited by Droidling; Dec 24th 2011 at 10:06 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Devonport,Auckland

Don't know how long you've been away, but 15 year old Toyotas are very much the norm in "100% pure" NZ. If you had one nobody would think that you had an especially old car, and it would still be worth about $3,000 (instead of £300)

Just another example of Kiwis not stopping to pause and wonder why this should be the case in their country, which was just about the world's wealthiest 45 years ago...
Old Dec 25th 2011, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

ok thanks for that, serious recce needed
Old Dec 25th 2011, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Devonport is a nice place but its falling apart and the prices keep going up.
I've done a fair bit of work in some of the places down there and they aint pretty
yet its a trendy place to live and only 10 mins from the city on the ferry so its VERY VERY expensive.
I dont know why anyone would pay Devonport prices for property when you can get so much
more in plenty of other really nice places
I couldnt live there but there are lots who like the coffee shop and artyfarty feel of the place