Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Devils advocate....??

Devils advocate....??

Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Devils advocate....??

Even outside of Auckland, I'm not sure you would be able to rent a three-bedroomed house for $200-300 a week? Remember, also that your starting-up rental would be approximately five-six weeks' rent up front!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

10k isk money is good and certainly more than you alluded to in your intial post.

Buying everything you need is never comfortable and we've all done it..

I guess it just depends if you can get the budget to balance and keep the lifstyle you wish for.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future

i think everyone has a way to do it, me and the hubby are in the early days yet and are researching hard. i came up with the idea of selling most of our stuff and rebuying it so it was flat packed and would basically mean more room in a container (that sounds mad now ive written it ).
im worried that we arnt going to get by but im also thinking i want us to have more time as a family and also i want my girls to have a better way of life.
i do know what you mean about stuff is stuff but i also look at it as some of this stuff is or can be quiet essential like a fridge, ect. at the moment we are researching prices of furniture in shops in nz and deciding what we can get away with leaving. also you need to look at weather paying 4000 for a container and cramming it would be cheaper or maybe dearer than buying those items over there.
anyhow like i said everyone is different and i wish you the best of luck with your move and people on here are fantastic and will help you they just dont want you to have a mighty shock .
good luck
ki x
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazmac72
I was told that most NZ jobs are not advertised and a speculative enquiry is often likely to result in employment.
Being Devil's wotsit again..the job market over here ia terrible...unemployment going thru' the roof..unless you are a Dr or nurse it won't be easy getting a job on the admin side in a small hospital.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
Being Devil's wotsit again..the job market over here ia terrible...unemployment going thru' the roof..unless you are a Dr or nurse it won't be easy getting a job on the admin side in a small hospital.
So your advice would be to go to a city or not bother then?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

So your advice would be to go to a city or not bother then?
Hey don't be so defensive..you asked people to be devil's advocate. We are being honest and not trying to be defeatist..just honest. We (those here) have been accused in the past of painting a way too rosy picture of life in NZ..I am being honest. Unemployment IS bad here. You are more likely to be able to find a wider range of jobs in somewhere like Auckland or Wellington..but maybe the weather won't be as good as that you hanker after. You have to be really honest with your self and ask your selves what are the chances of me securing employment in a smallish town like Whangerei? No one is saying don't bother..just be mindful of ALL the issues that will prevail in this move of yours.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Hey don't be so defensive..you asked people to be devil's advocate. We are being honest and not trying to be defeatist..just honest. We (those here) have been accused in the past of painting a way too rosy picture of life in NZ..I am being honest. Unemployment IS bad here. You are more likely to be able to find a wider range of jobs in somewhere like Auckland or Wellington..but maybe the weather won't be as good as that you hanker after. You have to be really honest with your self and ask your selves what are the chances of me securing employment in a smallish town like Whangerei? No one is saying don't bother..just be mindful of ALL the issues that will prevail in this move of yours.
Coming over with a job and PR is obviously a way better option than just coming over on spec and hoping for the best. The recession is biting here too, even in the shortage areas such as IT. The level of savings you have does put a better light on it too as others have said.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
To the OP. You seem pretty sensible and have done a bit of research and don't seem to be going to NZ with the blinkered view that it is a paradise as many do.

I don't think your figures are too wrong and if you are happy with those then you should go for it.

I've always thought it better to be poor or struggling in NZ than to be like that in the UK (Not suggesting you will be) and especially for kids.
OP I tend to agree with sr71, but then I am a Kiwi and my home town is Whangarei.

It is my opinion and experience is that while money can buy things, especially essentials there is far more to life than money.

My advice to you is look at your research and balance that with what kind of future you as a family want and how hard are you willing to work to make that happen. Look at all you have at your finger tips in the UK and can you life without them.

IMO the very worst thing you can do is come to NZ with an expectation that NZ is a smaller sized Britain.

Accept that NZ is a cluster of Pacific Island's surrounded by water and other clusters of Islands.

Best wishes whatever you decide.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:44 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if I repeat anything.

In Whangarei you will get somewhere nice to rent for $200-$300 per week. It won't be furnished though. ( probably!) When we arrived we got help from all sorts of people who lent us stuff.
Also trademe can be your friend - I love old well made furniture and got a lovely table and dining chairs for $80 which I then stripped, painted and recovered the chairs.
You don't have to pay $100 for a kettle or an iron.
deal.co.nz also have amazing offers on new appliances - we got our 8kg front loader washing machine from there for half of what we saw them for in the shops.
Personally I quite like Whangarei but like some of the surrounding rural areas better but if we all liked the same thing it would be so boring.

Kaz I am an hour up the road from Whangarei if/when you get here if there's anything I can do - we've got lots of plates and cutlery you could have hey it's a start!
most important thing to remember at this time of year is an....umbrella!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to wish you all the best. You have the guts to give it ago and it looks like you have done your research, so good for you. I know what you mean about being in the army and moving around all the time and you make do, hubbys has just come out of the Brit Army and now in NZ army. We are living on what you think will earn but we do have a pension on top of that and we did bring our furniture and we are loving it, we are watching what we spend but certainly not to the point of being miserable or unhappy and we make an effort to do all the 'free' things out here (and there are lots) but the free things are what we like doing anyway - walking on the beach, fishing, biking etc and you don't have to pay for parking.

Good luck to you and I wish you well.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice

Good morning/evening all...

Thanks for all of the replies whilst I was sleeping

This is what we are looking for, the offer of cutlery, the cheap furniture from second hand shops if necessary, the community feel... thats long gone from the UK, thats one of the things we like and hope to move to.... you're right, its not about the money, although obviously we need to live, and we live on around the same if not a little less over here, so I am hopeful that we should be able to do it.

I know there is a recession at the moment, there is the world over, my eyes are open to the fact that Whangarei is smaller than Auckland or Wellington... this is in fact one of the reasons we chose it... and yes there are less jobs, but that doesn't mean that I won't get one, its simply means I have to try harder and be the best person for the job!!

My defensive attitude came after a long and tiring day yesterday, not helped by the fact that I rather got the impression from some members that NZ was not for the working class and to be honest, I rather thought some members came over as snobs.

But I do appreciate all of the comments, and if nothing else, this thread has certainly been an eye opener.

Karen xx
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:38 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Hey kazmac72. I reckon you've got your head screwed on, your budgets about right, and with the 'can do' attitude you'll do just fine here.

Myself and the missus arrived and kitted out our unfurnished, $150/wk flat, on $700 at the Warehouse and a few inspired buys off Trademe. We got our first car for $700, and our second for $1300. We have taken it easy and buying what we can afford when we can afford it. Our first kettle was $12 - it still works now and we lend it out to new arrivals like you who are setting up.

In my opinion, if you are practical, are ready to work hard to find work, and are realistic with your expectations (as it seems that you are) then NZ won't be a bad place to make that new start.

I think that your worst case scenario would be having to survive on no wage or just one wage for a few months after arrival. Although unemployment isn't a disaster here, it is becoming more and more difficult for non-kiwi's without the much regarded 'kiwi experience' to get work. This could be what shatters the dream, so I say pay most attention to this and the rest will follow.

And I'll end with wishing you the best of British, and we look forward to seeing your 'We've arrived' post
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Too true, no more bureaucrats need apply, all government departments have capped recruitment as it was at December 08 and for that reason alone there won't be any new jobs created or many vacancies coming up, as nobody is going to leave a cushy Government job (unless asked to do so) in this economic climate.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of

I am always an optomist.... I leave the pessimism to the hubby

Ok, so earnings... I have been told that for my line of work I should expect to get anywhere between $35k and $55 depending on the area, and the hubby should expect $25k - $40k.... I am an office manager/PA, he is a heavy goods driver.

Based on the income of $38k for me and $25k for him, neither of which, according to the job searches I have been doing, seem unrealistic, in fact possibly on the lower side. According to the tax system this would mean take home of $588 for me and $395 a week for him, making a total of $983.

Rental of a 3 bed house approx $200 - $300 week, no rates, plus electricity averaged at $75 a week is approx $325 a week, which leaves $658. Our monthlys will come to $236, so divided by 4 makes around $60, taking our dispensible income to around $600, with a possible additional $200 a week to take off if we take out a car loan.... I think thats plenty to live off.... I have done a shop online and it came to $250, which included lots of stuff I would only get occassionally, so I would imagine our weekly shop will be around this mark... plus we are keen gardeners, so after a while I would imagine this would be reduced somewhat, given that we have lots of success with our vege's over here.

What I haven't even added to the income is any tax credits we may be eligible for, which according to their website could be around $230 a week (we have 4 children), plus all of my kids are older, so childcare costs don't really come into it, my youngest being 9... I would possibly need an after school carer for half hour until my eldest two get home from school, they are 14 and 15 and most definitely responsible enough to look after their sisters for an hour or so.

Ditching our belongings.... well, yes, for us this is definitely the way to go. The hubby is very handy when it comes to building things, and I have no problem with him building beds etc. Our sofa's are too old to consider bringing, our fridge too big, our cooker gas, our washing machine old and we are aware that by selling them, although we won't make a mint, we should make a thousand or two.... the most of our money being raised from the garden equipment, greenhouses, sheds etc etc.

We are looking to move to Whangarei, within a 30 minute drive to the city. And will be looking to buy within a year or two of being there, that way we get to know the areas beforehand.

Sorry if you feel I am being too optomistic, but I feel it is called for on the odd occassion
Hi.
Good on you.We came with the same attitude but had the luxury of a bit more savings than you have.Jobs are getting more difficult to find but they are out there.My wife is a P/A and she has found work easily enough. If your OH is a HGV driver he will earn much more than what you have budgeted for. I assume he has his UK class 1.Good luck
Cheers
Paul
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

:We are looking to move to Whangarei, within a 30 minute drive to the city.
I assume you mean a 30 min drive to Whangarei.
I have to ask the question - why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.