Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Devils advocate....??

Devils advocate....??

Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all
Default Re: Devils advocate....??

Originally Posted by kazmac72
Are you suggesting that New Zealand if only for the elite??

The way I see it is... if 4 million people can manage to make it work, why can't we?? We are not moving to make our fortunes, far from it... I am simply suggesting that you don't need millions to relocate and you can do it on a budget... for us the most expensive part will be the paperwork and the flights over... the furniture will be covered by what it would have cost us to send it over, and the savings will help toward start up costs such as rental costs and maybe a cheap car.

Everyone does the move on a budget but not all budgets are equal....

As for he major costs being flight and paperwork, that’s just the start of the costs...

How old are the girls, school uniform, outside school activities the good old 'voluntary' school contribution monies?????

Do you want to live in or near a city or really out in the middle of nowhere???

Flights back to the UK so see relatives??

Last edited by eddie_nz; Apr 27th 2009 at 10:52 am.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice

Kids cost money, I know that, and yes I do know about the voluntary contributions and the cost of uniform, and in fact have already spoken to someone at education NZ via email regarding these costs and other education issues. Why do out of school activities have to cost money? Mine do lots of things right now that cost nothing.

I have also spoken to Whangarei District Council regarding resettlement there, and have been researching local schools, and asking opinions about suburbs and well, doing a lot of research on just about anything I can think of. I know that I would need a license to keep a dog, I know that hospital treatment is free, but attending your GP's surgery is $45 to $60 and I also know that some of the birds in NZ have a liking for the rubber on cars, and I have even tried to learn Maori sayings and some of the history. Believe me when I say this isn't something we are taking lightly... we are not coming here for any reason other than the way of life it offers and the weather

What does it matter that some things matter more to one person than to another... you may put value on a plasma tv or an american style fridge or kingsize bed.... I understand that these things help some to settle in, perhaps because they are familiar in an unfamiliar place, but to others they merely serve as a reminder of what they have left behind. I just don't place any emotional value on these things whatsoever.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

So essentially you want to go from renting and not having much spending money in the UK to renting and not having much spending money in NZ because it’s hotter...

The renting expenditure will make it very hard to save for a house deposit and boring things like pensions / uni fees .

I'd say you need to write a realistic budget and think long and hard if that is what you want for your family and especially your children.

The thing is I think you’d be surprised that the ‘life it offers’ costs money, that us unless you have a multi $$$ pad by the beach in which case I will agree walking out to the sand is cheap.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by eddie_nz
So essentially you want to go from renting and not having much spending money in the UK to renting and not having much spending money in NZ because it’s hotter...

The renting expenditure will make it very hard to save for a house deposit and boring things like pensions / uni fees .

I'd say you need to write a realistic budget and think long and hard if that is what you want for your family and especially your children.

The thing is I think you’d be surprised that the ‘life it offers’ costs money, that us unless you have a multi $$$ pad by the beach in which case I will agree walking out to the sand is cheap.

Yes we want to come for the lifestyle, no we don't care if we live hand to mouth, yes we have thought long and hard about the move, and no, elitist and small minded individuals do not deter us.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we want to come for the lifestyle, no we don't care if we live hand to mouth.
You may not care you children may...
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking to move to Whangarei, within a 30 minute drive to the city. And will be looking to buy within a year or two of being there, that way we get to know the areas beforehand.

How did you decide upon Whangarei, do you have any real insight as to what it is like there? Particularly on the job front. It's hardly what you might call a thriving city with heaps of jobs in offices. Most expats that go there are medical professions working in the hospital. It beats me actually how a town of 51,000 people qualifies to be called a city - it's about similar proportions and equivalent in size of population, (with far less going for it) as Clacton-on Sea.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

You may not care you children may...

I appreciate and thank you for your advice, and whilst I appreciate your concern, I can assure you that this has been a family decision.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
How did you decide upon Whangarei, do you have any real insight as to what it is like there? Particularly on the job front. It's hardly what you might call a thriving city with heaps of jobs in offices. Most expats that go there are medical professions working in the hospital. It beats me actually how a town of 51,000 people qualifies to be called a city - it's about similar proportions and equivalent in size of population, (with far less going for it) as Clacton-on Sea.

It was and still is a choice between Whangarei and BoP... we just don't fancy big city life, we have that here... we would move to the outskirts of Auckland but neither of us fancy the commute.

I have found actually that a majority of jobs around NZ are healthcare related, but every hospital needs administrators, and in fact the last place I worked was in the Internal Audit dept of an NHS Trust HQ... also, I was told that most NZ jobs are not advertised and a speculative enquiry is often likely to result in employment.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

The precious things in my life will be coming with me, they are my girls and my husband... the treasured possessions will follow in a few boxes... the rest means nothing.... its just stuff.
I agree with you - when we move around OH's employer pays all the costs but I still wouldn't move to NZ on the figures you have outlined. Each expat move I make, I get rid of more and more stuff because I agree with you it is just stuff..of no consequence...people are what count...but you can't 'eat the scenery' as we are fond of saying on here...so as a family of 6 it really does pay to make sure you will be able to manage. There will be enough stress around the move nevermind throwing being 'near destitute' into the equation.

The main thing you have going for you from what I can see is that you have no property in UK to sell...hence you are not burning so many boats by making the move as most people. Conversely having no property to sell it will be harder to establish yourself here financially unless you have lots of savings which it didn't sound like you had?

Can you get PR as HGV driver? Those tax credits would certainly be useful.
The other things you hadn't originally mentioned are: state school contributions, GP visit fees, dental care - do any of your kids need braces - not free here?, there must be more....

Last edited by luvwelly; Apr 27th 2009 at 1:40 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I agree with you - when we move around OH's employer pays all the costs but I still wouldn't move to NZ on the figures you have outlined. Each expat move I make, I get rid of more and more stuff because I agree with you it is just stuff..of no consequence...people are what count...but you can't 'eat the scenery' as we are fond of saying on here...so as a family of 6 it really does pay to make sure you will be able to manage. There will be enough stress around the move nevermind throwing being 'near destitute' into the equation.

The main thing you have going for you from what I can see is that you have no property in UK to sell...hence you are not burning so many boats by making the move as most people. Conversely having no property to sell it will be harder to establish yourself here financially unless you have lots of savings which it didn't sound like you had?

Can you get PR as HGV driver? Those tax credits would certainly be useful.
The other things you hadn't originally mentioned are: state school contributions, GP visit fees, dental care - do any of your kids need braces - not free here?, there must be more....
Is $600 a week considered near destitute I thought that would be plenty lol... we have savings, I have actually just re-worked it out since posting, once we are ready to come, after the cost of the visas and flights we should have around £17000, not a great deal I know, but surely enough to start out on??

We would hopefully gain PR via me, as office manager is on the skills list, although I would need a job offer beforehand.... hopefully I will be travelling over in the next few months to do a recce and hopefully attend some interviews... failing that, we will apply for work visas instead and apply from within NZ, although PR to begin with is preferable.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

£17,000 is lots its not $17000 or £1700??

£17,000 is 43k NZD which is even getting into house deposit territory with a mortgage on top of course.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eddie_nz
£17,000 is lots its not $17000 or £1700??

£17,000 is 43k NZD which is even getting into house deposit territory with a mortgage on top of course.
No its not $ or £1700, its £17000, after flights... that is assuming that £8000 will be enough for flights for the 6 of us and the paperwork??

Thats not the issue here though.... the issue is that many of you have claimed that we will not be able to live on the amount suggested in my sums, and obviously that worries me!!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I agree with what others are saying. I chose to give away my white goods before I left the UK. It cost $8000 to kit out the NZ kitchen with a cooker, washer, dryer, fridge and dish washer in 2005. .
Most rentals will come with a cooker usually, maybe dishwasher but that's really optional anyway. So realistically a good quality fridge (not junk, but not the premium brands) and washer would cost approx $2000.

But I agree, money just goes when emigrating.

We used Seven Seas/Excess Baggage and had something like 42 teachests, was about 200Sq Ft and cost £800 - probably 1/3-1/2 a containers worth so we found it good value. Even saved £250 by dropping it off at their North London depot rather than them picking it up. Van rental was only £50, but we got them delivered to the door this side.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP. You seem pretty sensible and have done a bit of research and don't seem to be going to NZ with the blinkered view that it is a paradise as many do.

I don't think your figures are too wrong and if you are happy with those then you should go for it.

I've always thought it better to be poor or struggling in NZ than to be like that in the UK (Not suggesting you will be) and especially for kids.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much.... I'm not really that sensible and generally I live in my own little world (its fab ) but your comments are much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.