British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Destination Welly....Sept!! but where ?... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/destination-welly-sept-but-where-444336/)

ceri75 Apr 23rd 2007 12:22 pm

Destination Welly....Sept!! but where ?...

Hi there... when i first posted on this site my destination was to be Auckland & had great responses from everyone with there own experiences & advice. Things have since changed & i'll now be heading to a clinic in either Paraparaumu OR Lower Hutt! mid sept!! I have no recce under my belt & am unable to do so, so was hoping you could oblige again ???
about me .....i'm going over alone (+ 2 dogs !!), do not want inner city living really, though not ready for the recluse lif just yet.. can anyone give me info on whats on offer for these 2?
i know this is rather vague , but tinternet searches are giving me a headache & not neccesarily an accurate view. decisions....decisions.....:confused:
cheers
ceri :o

simonmarkellis Apr 23rd 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Destination Welly....Sept!! but where ?...

Originally Posted by ceri75 (Post 4684596)
Hi there... when i first posted on this site my destination was to be Auckland & had great responses from everyone with there own experiences & advice. Things have since changed & i'll now be heading to a clinic in either Paraparaumu OR Lower Hutt! mid sept!! I have no recce under my belt & am unable to do so, so was hoping you could oblige again ???
about me .....i'm going over alone (+ 2 dogs !!), do not want inner city living really, though not ready for the recluse lif just yet.. can anyone give me info on whats on offer for these 2?
i know this is rather vague , but tinternet searches are giving me a headache & not neccesarily an accurate view. decisions....decisions.....:confused:
cheers

When i recce'd last August with the family we fell in love with Porirua area particularly Whitby and Paramata. Thought this location had everything going for it's self - Transportation links, closeness to the sea, amenities, shopping and not to long a drive into Wellington. Also right in between Paraparaumu and Lower Hutt, roughly 20-30mins either way

Leighlou Apr 23rd 2007 10:08 pm

Hi Fellow Edinburger! Fabulous decision if you ask us!:D We're heading for Welly too! One of the biggest reasons being that we felt we'd be more at home there as it was vaguely more reminiscent of Edinburgh than Auckland - silly really, just the size of it I think. Sorry, can't actually help with your question, but just wanted to say hi and wish you luck!:D

Avid Apr 23rd 2007 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4687094)
Hi Fellow Edinburger! Fabulous decision if you ask us!:D We're heading for Welly too! One of the biggest reasons being that we felt we'd be more at home there as it was vaguely more reminiscent of Edinburgh than Auckland - silly really, just the size of it I think. Sorry, can't actually help with your question, but just wanted to say hi and wish you luck!:D

Yes, it does have a strange Edinburgh/Glasgow feel about it. Glasgow because it's windy, all the buildings were built around 1900 and the people are very friendly. Edinburgh because it's the capital city, there's a statue of a dog in the city centre and all the junkies live on the outskirts!

Leighlou Apr 23rd 2007 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 4687139)
Yes, it does have a strange Edinburgh/Glasgow feel about it. Glasgow because it's windy, all the buildings were built around 1900 and the people are very friendly. Edinburgh because it's the capital city, there's a statue of a dog in the city centre and all the junkies live on the outskirts!

Bloody Hell have you been to Edinburgh as well as Japan? :eek: V. well travelled.:thumbup:

Avid Apr 23rd 2007 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4687168)
Bloody Hell have you been to Edinburgh as well as Japan? :eek: V. well travelled.:thumbup:

I've been around. But, seriously, there is a 'Central Scotland' feel about Wellington, so it should make it a little bit easier to get used to the place....

(or get bored of it)

poppets Apr 24th 2007 12:04 am

1 Attachment(s)

cheers

i live nr paraparaumu. it has a shopping centre (Coastlands - http://www.coastlands.co.nz/ ) & a fantastic beach. we've been on the kapiti coast for just over a year, (we are a family of 4 , the kids are 6&4 nearly) there is a lot of retired people here, but we find its a nice atmosphere & a relaxed lifestyle that suits us well. there seems plenty to do & if you want i can research your intetersts for you to see whats about locally.

all i know about lower hutt is it has some good shops

heres the profiles on each place if that helps... its profiles are scored out of 9(!!), 1 being low & 9 being high , i found the info on internet just over a year ago, but i'm buggered if i can remember where but i have most wellington suburbs on my records!!

Biddy Apr 24th 2007 12:29 am

Given the choice of Paraparaumu or the Hutts - I'd go for the former anyday - mainly because of the fact that it's on the coast. SHI goes right through Paraparam and you can get anywhere from it.
If money is an issue then you get more for your buck propertywise up the coast - Waikanae, Te Horo, Otaki, Levin, Foxton etc. If you need to be closer to the city then head South - Whitby and Papakowhai are lovely but I don't much care for Porirua myself.

I can recommend Waikanae - as Poppets above does - has pretty much all you need and is a lovely part of the country.

Very difficult to choose from afar - we chose Waiakane under recommendations from board members and haven't regretted it one bit.

Happy Hunting!

Boopy Apr 24th 2007 6:13 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 4684681)
When i recce'd last August with the family we fell in love with Porirua area particularly Whitby and Paramata. Thought this location had everything going for it's self - Transportation links, closeness to the sea, amenities, shopping and not to long a drive into Wellington. Also right in between Paraparaumu and Lower Hutt, roughly 20-30mins either way

I'll second that.:thumbsup:

cherry Apr 24th 2007 6:28 am

Bit of a dodgy area around Porrirua :thumbdown: especially with the "Mongrel Mob" and a few dodgy "Pommies" :rofl: .Upper Hutt and especially Riverstone Terraces , its more refined :thumbsup:
Love it

:rofl: :p

Boopy Apr 24th 2007 8:40 am

Originally Posted by cherry (Post 4688301)
Bit of a dodgy area around Porrirua :thumbdown: especially with the "Mongrel Mob" and a few dodgy "Pommies" :rofl: .Upper Hutt and especially Riverstone Terraces , its more refined :thumbsup:
Love it

:rofl: :p

And just in sight of the prison.....how handy for you!

Winnie Apr 24th 2007 8:56 am

cheers

Hi Ceri
I have lived in Paraparaumu for 6 months now and absolutely love it. We lived in Tawa (near Porirua) before we moved here, and although we enjoyed it there we found we were visiting Paraparaumu more than we were spending time at home! It has a good shopping centre, as Poppets said, a beautiful beach that stretches for miles, and the housing is a little cheaper than further down the coast (although they seem to be catching up). Not to sure about the Hutt though (sorry Cherry). I have really only passed through and besides the shops doesn't seem to be much else there.........please correct me anyone out there!

ceri75 Apr 24th 2007 9:26 am

:thumbup: thanks for this guys, i'll start searching tinternet again! think the beach life is a calling :) might end up a bit furthur down SH1 just so its an easier trip into the centre. not really big into shopping but do love being outdoors & cant wait to start following the local rugger team :o
just a wee bit stressed at the mo', trying to turn flat into a 2 bed which will hopefully earn me my millions ! deciding on location & preparing to say goodbye to fantastic family, who will all visit but............ well you've all been there.. & get this done before sept, just seem to be chasing tail :(
but ...your replies have spurred me on, so thanky you all & off i pop to planet google :thumbsup:

ceri75 Apr 24th 2007 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by poppets (Post 4687517)
i live nr paraparaumu. it has a shopping centre (Coastlands - http://www.coastlands.co.nz/ ) & a fantastic beach. we've been on the kapiti coast for just over a year, (we are a family of 4 , the kids are 6&4 nearly) there is a lot of retired people here, but we find its a nice atmosphere & a relaxed lifestyle that suits us well. there seems plenty to do & if you want i can research your intetersts for you to see whats about locally.

all i know about lower hutt is it has some good shops

heres the profiles on each place if that helps... its profiles are scored out of 9(!!), 1 being low & 9 being high , i found the info on internet just over a year ago, but i'm buggered if i can remember where but i have most wellington suburbs on my records!!

OMG:eek: just checked out the coastlands link & theres a piccy of the clinic i could be working in !!!!! Bay Audiology :thumbsup: could this be a sign??:rofl:

cherry Apr 24th 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 4688681)
And just in sight of the prison.....how handy for you!

:o

:rofl: :rofl:
I tell them its a sports stadium lit up at night.:thumbsup:

Lower Hutt has a lot more shops and people ,Upper Hutt is smaller and quieter with less traffic .House prices are creeping up however but are still reasonable.