British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dependents - moving down timescale? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dependents-moving-down-timescale-908739/)

Damson Feb 3rd 2018 8:37 am

Dependents - moving down timescale?

How long after the main visa holder has moved do family have to follow? I just can't get my head around timings ref schools, college/uni, shutting our business down, packing up and selling home, him getting a job and us getting there. The way things are looking, with him nearing the upper age limit, he is going to have to go about a year ahead of us. Is this allowed? Do they care. Cheers

simonsi Feb 4th 2018 12:26 am

Re: Dependents - moving down timescale?

All your visa are processed together and from my experience the Expiry Travel Date (the date by which you must enter), was the same for all 5 passports and not too far beyond the job offer start date the visa was based on.

You may have to all enter together and those that need to return do so with the appropriate re-entry visa obtained.

Bear in mind you have a 6mth window between UK academic year end and NZ academic year starting...

Stuck in Auckland Feb 4th 2018 7:06 am

A lot of the questions during the visa application will be around the full family commitment to the move.

Indications that its dabbing your feet in may result in negative assessment. Remembering that changes between what you state in application and what you do can have the visa rescinded.

Damson Feb 4th 2018 2:29 pm

That's great; that answers my question well. We may well be timing it for when our youngest is 16 and as he has no interest in further education, would be free to choose what he wants to do next without the constraints of still having to go to school - unlike the age 18 education limit in the UK. Thanks both.

j19fmm Feb 5th 2018 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Damson (Post 12434602)
That's great; that answers my question well. We may well be timing it for when our youngest is 16 and as he has no interest in further education, would be free to choose what he wants to do next without the constraints of still having to go to school - unlike the age 18 education limit in the UK. Thanks both.

If you have any other children who are interested in taking education to Uni level, you have to have been Residents for 3 years before they qualify for Student Loans of any kind. Otherwise it's Bank of Mum and Dad.

Gill and Rob Feb 10th 2018 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 12435662)
If you have any other children who are interested in taking education to Uni level, you have to have been Residents for 3 years before they qualify for Student Loans of any kind. Otherwise it's Bank of Mum and Dad.

And unless you have permanent residency, you are classed as a international student at tertiary level, with international student fees.

Gill