Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dentists and dental plans in NZ

Dentists and dental plans in NZ

Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:38 am
Just Joined

kramvi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dentists and dental plans in NZ

I read posts on dentists which are about two years old. Wanted to know if any new kind of updates have been made to the dental system.

I would like to get a regular check up at least once a year and attention to fillings which are becoming sensitive however it's not an emergency.

I am wondering if it would be cheaper to just go and have the cleanings and checkups done or is there an insurance that's worth the payments in the long run.

Last edited by kramvi; Mar 25th 2015 at 4:39 am. Reason: addition
Old Mar 25th 2015, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists and dental plans in NZ

Dental treatment here is extortionate.
There are discount sites like GrabOne, Groupy, TreatMe, 1Day etc that regularly have offers on for dentist check-ups and x-rays depending on the area you live that are around 35-65% cheaper than just walking in off the street.
We've done it and got a great deal in Wellington but haven't been since. The Mrs needs 2 x fillings and the cheapest we've been quoted is $450 + gst!!!
There are health insurance plans that you can purchase that does cover basic dental then major dental but the downside is this will be a comprehensive health plan covering everything else so will cost a fortune.
I've looked but haven't found a specific dental insurance plan. They all seem to be integrated with other health plans with the dental being an optional extra.

Some dentists are cheaper than others so the key is to find the best for price and quality.

Our landlord is a dentist but he works for a big company and their prices are way overpriced so won't be visiting him in a hurry.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know of any dental plans available in nz.

I had a new crown fitted to one of my front teeth last week
at a total cost of $1380....week !!
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Once you're in their clutches of course they find a whole heap of work to fund their next trip to Fiji. Costings from my own recent visits because of tooth hurty:

1. Check-up $85.00
2. Hygienist for cleaning $195.00
3. Replace two leaky fillings in non-hurty teeth $720 - getting ouchy now!!
4. Filling in hurty tooth $340 - ready to pass out on floor.

And they wonder why I'm not so keen on making another appointment in six months time.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 6:01 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

husband just having to have his teeth looked at.

Consultation $95.00
xrays
oral hygiene instruction
Dressing 14 (?) $55
Total first visit: $150.00

Treatment Plan
Posterior Composite Restoration x 2 $584.00
Posterior Composite Restoration x 1 $248.00
Anterior Composite Restoration x 2 $462.00

Total $1294.00

From another dentist quote was $1685.00
Old Mar 25th 2015, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Posterior Composite Restoration x 2 $584.00
Posterior Composite Restoration x 1 $248.00
Anterior Composite Restoration x 2 $462.00

Total $1294.00
Sounds more like a quote for home renovation than dental work !!
Old Mar 25th 2015, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

Amazes me how they get away with such huge charges. The industry seriously needs someone to come in and start under-cutting the market! I've heard that people go to Aussie because it is cheaper there - even including the airfares! Not researched it myself. Tempted to try and find a good private dentist when I next visit the U.K.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I've asked the question.

Our current landlord is a dentist.
He's English and been here 20 odd years. He had his own practice but eventually got fed up with the high costs to keep it running, the hassle, the hours he had to put in, changing technology and staff training etc so he put it up for sale.
It was bought out by Lumino and they took him on as their Senior Dentist where he's still there now.
He says the treatment price is a reflection of the high cost of equipment and materials in NZ. As you can understand everything here must be imported and we all know how expensive everything is so it stands to reason that the treatment will be more expensive if the equipment they are using is expensive and the materials expensive. He also said the technology is ever changing and if you don't keep up with it the business will quickly go under as patients seek cheaper costs and quicker pain free treatment.
Obviously they are medical professionals so in that respect are well paid so that in itself is gonna have a reflection in to the cost of treatment.
There is also a consideration in that there is no NHS funding or contributions to their business here. It's all private with the possibility to claim something back from ACC if someone is having work done after an accident.
Says he was so glad to get out of owning and running a dentist business. Has a life now.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 4:44 am
Just Joined

kramvi is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an update on what I just learned.

Someone who has had work done from a dentist recently said that the WINZ does help out with the costs and one has to pay back 10 dollars a month or something. Not sure if one has to be enrolled with them first to apply for this.

I don't think it is a big financial help since you have to pay it back. However it might be of help to those who have immediate need for money.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 8:10 am
Just Joined

kyliehair is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been told that dentists are so expensive we are heading over in July so are having as much done before we come over lol but my son has braces I know I have to pay for them over there but has anybody any idea of how much a visit to an authadantsist is we will be in Christchurch if that helps
Old Mar 29th 2015, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kyliehair
I have been told that dentists are so expensive we are heading over in July so are having as much done before we come over lol but my son has braces I know I have to pay for them over there but has anybody any idea of how much a visit to an authadantsist is we will be in Christchurch if that helps
My daughter has braces and I think the total cost is $6,500 however most Orthodontists have a payment plan to allow the cost to be spread out over the time of the treatment. Like most services, shop around as I have heard prices ranges between $5,000 - $8,000.