dentists

Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all
Default Re: dentists

How did you guess
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Just in the past 4 weeks or so I had Root Canal work done on one of my upper right molars.

Quoted circa $700 at the outset.

A total of 4 separate sessions later (apparently my root canals weren't straight like normal peoples, but were bent, which meant the fancy tool they had for clearing out the canal wouldn't work so they had to resort to manual files, bent to shape and almost having one knee on my chest to hold me down whilst they filed away) and I've been stung for a little over $1,000
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:46 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeys
Even the thought of the dentist is giving me misery at the moment. Well, my wallet misery.

I have a crown, well virtually all crown and no tooth no, that I had fixed up before leaving UK 3 years ago. Its come out and been refixed twice here, each time weakening the ability to adhere next time.

It's loose again and has come to the 'crunch' (sorry). I went to the dentist today and got a quote of $5400 to have an implant. I knew this was coming but really gutted. Can't really let it just fall out and leave it as I do training in my job and don't want to go round looking like a pirate. Thinking of all the things I could do with the money instead of a little piece of porcelain in me gob....

Off to the bank to extend my credit card this week

By way of comparison, similar treatment back home would cost around $3000-$3500. Though this treatment often has to be done over a period of months while the post takes to the jaw, which means I can't really nick over to the UK to get it done, or elsewhere with cheaper dental care for that matter.

Honestly any thoughts of pain or discomfort of the treatment are eclipsed by the thought of shelling out this money! Still, if it is done well it should last till I'm a pensioner, by which stage I won't give a sh!t

The disparity between the state of nashers of the rich and poor is pretty striking here I think, don't you agree? Lots of Gummy Bears in New Zealand

Lollies anyone??
Just a thought by why not have the next tooth/teeth to it crowned with a bridge? it will cover up the gap from the broken tooth - a lot cheaper than an implant and still a permanent solution.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Gives you some free choice though - a dentist is a very personal thing - it could be that they would only reimburse up to a set amount anyway - if you do a thread search, there are some old posts on dentists in Tauranga and Tooth Fairy is mentioned on there.
If you are in Tauranga Elizabeth Street dentist is fab and cheap check them out.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:27 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington 'high-end' fillings can be $200-300 - dentists should not be chosen for cheapness though!
A more expensive properly done one will last longer...each time you treat a tooth, you make it more likely you will tip the nerve over the edge...which then means root canal or extraction, so cheap fillings can definitely be false economy long-term.
Agree $500 is a lot unless it's massive and will take an hour to do.
I wasn't recommending choosing a place for cheapness though. The place I go is cheaper because, other than with health insurance, you are required to pay up front. No credit facilities with paying later.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb
almost having one knee on my chest to hold me down whilst they filed away)
This is an urban myth lol! Note you said almost.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Just a thought by why not have the next tooth/teeth to it crowned with a bridge? it will cover up the gap from the broken tooth - a lot cheaper than an implant and still a permanent solution.
Yes cheaper but involves drilling into 2 other healthy teeth!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:23 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Yes cheaper but involves drilling into 2 other healthy teeth!
I reckon you were a dentist in a former life!

Expatkiwi -unfortunately a bridge isn't a permanent solution. One won't last a lifetime. An implant, however, should. And may be the most expensive, but if it can possibly be afforded it will be the best. A good dentist should be able to give you options, though. There are always options. Also something of importance you could go to several dentists and maybe get a different solution from each of them ( just to confuse things!)
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:00 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Can you explain why an implant is twice as expensive as a bridge?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I reckon you were a dentist in a former life!
Doubt it..it's all a result of having had problems with dental care as an expat (not in NZ) and having too much time to research on the internet. I do now know more than a layperson should, 'tis true .

Last edited by luvwelly; Dec 5th 2010 at 4:43 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Hi Expat Kiwi,

That's exactly what I am gonna do now. My son's mate's Dad is a dentist, dunno why I didn't talk to him first. There is something called a 'Maryland Bridge', of the adjoining teeth. I was worried previously about working on otherwise fine teeth, but it sounds like the amount that is shaved off the back is minimal. It's gonna come in under $2k rather than $5.5, which is a lot more palatable. The long term (10 yrs or so) success rates are still high, only marginally smaller than an implant.

To try and answer your question about costs, I think the implant is dearer, primarily because of the combined costs of the dentist's work and the surgeon who attaches the implant into the jaw. It can also prevent the jaw shrinking in the gap where the tooth/root was. If I had the money I would go for this option, but I don't so will go for the bridge.

Last edited by turkeys; Dec 5th 2010 at 10:00 am. Reason: more tooth info!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:17 am
Banned

Thanks Turkey's I've wondered for ages why it costs so much. It really does sound like major surgery having such a large hole drilled in ones jaw.

I'd not heard of this Maryland bridge either, sounds very interesting and definitely a lot less painful, both on the wallet and the jaw!

I may talk to my dentist about this and see if it's covered on the health fund.

Let us know how you get on! good luck