British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dentists (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dentists-481013/)

simonmarkellis Sep 13th 2007 10:50 pm

Dentists

What are the dentists like in NZ? How expensive are they? I've just cracked a filling on a chicken nugget (of all things) and am booked in for this afternoon...:(

garryhg Sep 13th 2007 10:58 pm

Re: Dentists

hi jacky g here

i think you are roughly $200ish for a filling.....

i got tooth ache 3 days after arriving:thumbdown:had to go to dentist....ended up having to get root canal treatment at a cost of $1,500

apart from the cost the dentists are, imo much better than back home....
i even got a face massage from dentist when she was finished:blink::thumbsup:

danny.f Sep 13th 2007 10:59 pm

Si-I'm with you brother! One of my teeth has cracked,died and gone to the bi spit-sink in the sky,but it aint sore,so I aint going. Good luck though mate. If I told you about the bills I don't think you'd go!!

happynz Sep 13th 2007 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5308931)
What are the dentists like in NZ? How expensive are they? I've just cracked a filling on a chicken nugget (of all things) and am booked in for this afternoon...:(

You'll pay somewhere between NZ$100-200 if you have the filling replaced. My last filling a couple of years ago cost NZ$130.

simonmarkellis Sep 13th 2007 11:18 pm

Cheers guys, i know i don't need root canal as that was down back in the UK, the tooth is dead, it's just still in my mouth for cosmetic reasons...

danny.f Sep 13th 2007 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5309030)
Cheers guys, i know i don't need root canal as that was down back in the UK, the tooth is dead, it's just still in my mouth for cosmetic reasons...

Jesus. It's coming out then?

Kiwiprincess Sep 13th 2007 11:31 pm

If you want a recommendation, my mother goes to the dentist at North City Plaza.

Yep, North City. Above the shops there is a floor of offices and there is a dentist office in there.

My mothers description of the dentist was “very good, no fuss, didn’t try to convince you to have work done you didn’t want/need” . I think she also said he didn’t talk much. But personally, I think that’s ok.

She got a filling done last week because she bit into a piece of chocolate. It cost her $145

danny.f Sep 13th 2007 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 5309064)
If you want a recommendation, my mother goes to the dentist at North City Plaza.

Yep, North City. Above the shops there is a floor of offices and there is a dentist office in there.

My mothers description of the dentist was “very good, no fuss, didn’t try to convince you to have work done you didn’t want/need” . I think she also said he didn’t talk much. But personally, I think that’s ok.

She got a filling done last week because she bit into a piece of chocolate. It cost her $145

Noth City rocks! It actually has got everything!

simonmarkellis Sep 13th 2007 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 5309064)

Couldn't get into that one until next week, going to one in Hartham Place, Wishart Dental Practice. Think of me at 2pm with me mouth open wide and a knee in my chest...:(

simonmarkellis Sep 13th 2007 11:51 pm

I take it they do take EFTPOS?

happynz Sep 14th 2007 12:04 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5309103)

I would be shocked if they didn't.

garryhg Sep 14th 2007 12:12 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5309103)

my dentist doesn't take eftpos:blink:but it takes cash,cheque or visa:thumbsup:

Jude J Sep 14th 2007 12:20 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5309030)

I've just been for the same thing. I go back on Monday for the work to be done. My tooth with the root canal will cost about 3k to save, that's $1500 for the old one taken out and replaced, and another $1500 for a crown. And she gave it a 50/50 chance of lasting for 5 years. I'm going to get it pulled instead!
I also have to have some kind of sealant on some back teeth, a clean and polish, and a couple of little fillings, total estimated cost, $2600. But I think that must include the replacement root canal so it should be quite a bit less than that.
Thankfully, they will accept installments!

UKNZAUS Sep 14th 2007 12:55 am

Where's this dentist Jude? I cracked a tooth just before coming out here, on a pizza :eek: and want something done as it's near the front of my mouth :(

Maz Sep 14th 2007 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 5309216)
Where's this dentist Jude? I cracked a tooth just before coming out here, on a pizza :eek: and want something done as it's near the front of my mouth :(

Heh... I had a cap on one of my front teeth before I got married. 3 days before we tied the knot, the cap came off on a piece of pizza. :lol: :rofl:

Simon, whatever you do, do NOT get the tooth pulled! Even if the root canal has been done, headaches, neckaches and backaches have all been linked to something as simple as having a tooth pulled. Two of my wisdom teeth have never "erupted" (love that word for teeth! :lol: ) and my dentist is leaving them in as they're straight. He said it would be very detrimental to take them out.

Just ask for gas and you'll be fine, I never go to the dentist without getting gas now! :D :thumbup: