Dental fees

Old May 12th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dental fees

Are private dentists in NZ as expensive as here?
Old May 12th 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental fees

i just go to my local dentist, and let me tell you i had the best dental check up and scale and polish in my life, she was so thorough.. i also had xrays done and she smoothed down an old filling i have, all for only 103 dollars. i thought this was fantastic. my hubby also had 2 wisdom teeth removed for 200 bux which also seems cheap to us so we very happy with ours
Old May 12th 2009, 8:48 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

As a rough guide ( very rough!) change the pound cost of a private dentist and change it into dollars.

so filling 150 pounds will be $150.

Standard of dentistry in my husbands opinion is very high, but price a shock if you're used to national health prices and fine if you used to go private.
Old May 12th 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

i used national health dentist in uk and price is the same as here, my hubby was private in uk and he noticed a big difference over here with pricing, he paid through the roof in britain... one time we both had same treatment in the uk i was around 40 quid he paid around 130 .. a joke.. much better over here IMO
Old May 13th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I think your dentist in NP sounds on the cheap side of normal, but you need to ask around about which dentists do a good job and compare prices, as there can be huge variations. Unfortunately, most dentist work isn't covered by insurance or govt health here, except for kids under 18.
I've just been to my dentist and I had a clean and two small fillings and it cost $350. It was over 2 sessions though.
Old May 13th 2009, 4:03 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dental fees

Would you really want to take the risk on a cheap dentist? I'd rather pay a bit more and go to one who does a really good job.
Old May 13th 2009, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

my dentist here is fantastic and better than any of my previous dentists , as i said earlier i have never had such a thourough check up or scale and polish, she was fantastic and has a very good name for herself round here. remember though im in inglewood so probably cheaper than main town np. i didnt shop around as only one in inglewood and its in my doctors surgery so made sense..

i have seen on here docs app cost 60 dollars again only 20 here and thats for everyone nz'er wtr or whatever and the doctor is great

but then i find np cheap overall for most things

think we stroke it rich by coming here

caz

Last edited by CarolineSwan; May 13th 2009 at 5:31 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 13th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Would you really want to take the risk on a cheap dentist? I'd rather pay a bit more and go to one who does a really good job.
no way.. would only be with a dentist if they any good, had a very bad dentist in the uk and has made me extremly wary of them.. cant help her being good as well as cheap though can i lol
Old May 13th 2009, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

The cheap dentists here are often as good as the expensive ones. In fact, some of the expensive ones are to be avoided - that's why I say ask neighbours and people at work etc which dentists are good and which aren't, and don't just go by price. You can always leave if you're not happy. My dentist is more expensive than others in the area and the only reason we're still with him is that my son has braces that need adjustment. I have heard great reports about a dentist close by who is about a third cheaper.
Old May 13th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Are private dentists in NZ as expensive as here?
There are some old threads on this if you search.
Depends really, central Auckland and Wellington will tend to cost more than New Plymouth. (I'm sure Caroline is paying the going rate there).
Although there is a shortage of dentists in some rural areas of NZ, in the big cities there seems to be no shortage; and rather than 'stack em high and sell em low' approach, they tend to keep prices reasonably high in NZ terms but offer a personalised service, so that going along is actually pretty pleasant....just as Caroline has implied I think. I>M>E> just like GPs, they make you feel very welcome and not 'just another set of teeth' such as one might typically find in UK NHS.
I would say my private UK dentist cost more relatively speaking than my NZ one but I prefer the service here. In UK I did 'pay as you go' not Denplan.

In Wellington I have paid NZ$200 for a small filling replacement and around NZ120ish for a halfhour check-up or NZ100ish for half-hour hygiene slot, which actually I think is excellent value, although if your budget is tight, you might not agree.

Follow Pixidust's formula of pound=NZ$ and you will probably be pleasantly surprised rather than shocked unless you need sth major like a crown - the price for which will vary widely but then as Charismatic says so will the quality. You usually do get what you pay for.
I am one of those people for whom whether I feel comfortable with the dentist on a personal level is extremely important so that fact alone means I am not price-sensitive and would never choose dental treatment purely on the price....skill level maybe.

The main shocker for someone emigrating might be braces for their kids teeth which would not be covered at all here...in UK it still is in certain cases I understand. Maybe you can put it on private insurance, I don't know.

The NZ School Dental Service (which is free at point of use) is staffed by dental therapists not dentists so many fussy people (like me) choose to take their kids to a private dentist where they can more easily get regular check-ups and see the same practitioner each time. From age 16+, they can also get free treatment from a bonafide dentist but only if that dentist chooses to take part in the Government scheme...many do not because they say the reimbursement rates are too low..usual story etc etc. I did read an article recently though which said a greater percentage were currently opting back in because of the recession slowing down their flow of adult patients.

So yes unless you want to 'go kiwi' and only attend when in pain, you need to build dental costs into your monthly budget.

Last edited by luvwelly; May 13th 2009 at 11:19 am.
Old May 13th 2009, 11:00 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
The main shocker for someone emigrating might be braces for their kids teeth which would not be covered at all here...in UK it still is in certain cases I understand. Maybe you can put it on private insurance, I don't know.
In the UK the number of children getting their orthodontic requirements met by the NHS is very low. The criteria is that there has to be a medical requirement not just cosmetic one.

There are insurance companies here that pay for at least half of the costs. Having paid nearly 3 thousand pounds for my son's treatment in the UK, and knowing my daughter probably needs treatment too, I am hopeful the costs here and the treatment will be much better.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Our dentist is also quite good last visit $200 for myself and hubby clean and a tooth built up. Children are free with him also.Just starting ortho treatment and have been quoted $6000 for my son over two years xray and 1st appointment $200.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:52 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

can I just say this thread is lovely. Being married to a dentist, I am so used to hearing negative things about them. I take it much more to heart than he does and feel very protective of him as I know he's a blooming brilliant dentist!
It's been so nice to see a positive thread about how people feel about their treatment here. Also another good thing for those of you with children, the government have just said that they will be increasing the amount they pay dentists to see children for free ( to make it a lot more realistic) so hopefully more should join ( my Dh just heard this at a meeting on Wednesday so I don't know exactly when it'll be coming into effect)
Also for those of you that do have a dentist who is part of the scheme, if you are worried about mercury fillings for your children some dentists ( those that do composite as well as amalgam) will put in the composite ones either for free and take the cost themselves or let you pay a wee bit, just worth asking in case you are worried about the mercury.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:55 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minky
Our dentist is also quite good last visit $200 for myself and hubby clean and a tooth built up. Children are free with him also.Just starting ortho treatment and have been quoted $6000 for my son over two years xray and 1st appointment $200.
have you checked out Marram - 60% off orthodontics!
Old May 14th 2009, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I recently went for my cleaning and check up. I paid $153 which covered one hour with the hygenist and then a quick look by the dentist. I also had xrays done too. I use a dentist in Avonhead in Christchurch. He is very interested in his patients and is very good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.