British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dehumidifiers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dehumidifiers-448563/)

RobClubley May 8th 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Dehumidifiers

Originally Posted by Karen2000 (Post 4753980)
Hi

Does the DVS system really heat the house ? I have seen adverts for it and wondered how effective it really is. We have a tiled roof would this make any difference to the heat it might produce ? sorry if I sound thick ! Do you have any additional form of heating ?
Thanks Karen

Ours definitely makes a big difference to the temperature in the house if it's been sunny - but you can't rely on it. You can get a heater element for it but all it does it warm the air slightly, it doesn't fully heat the house. The DVS guy didn't seem to think much of it.

karonious May 8th 2007 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Karen2000 (Post 4753980)
Hi

Does the DVS system really heat the house ? I have seen adverts for it and wondered how effective it really is. We have a tiled roof would this make any difference to the heat it might produce ? sorry if I sound thick ! Do you have any additional form of heating ?
Thanks Karen

No, it doesn't heat that much but if it is on anyway, may as well have the extra heat. We have a heat pump for the main living/kitchen area, a wall mounted radiator in th bedroom lobby and a couple of heaters in the bedrooms. We have them on timers but to be honest, they haven't been on much yet.
We are in the process of having a heated towel rail and bathroom heater fitted but as the electrician dropped parts of his drill into the wall cavity and had to order more (:blink:), they are not up and running yet. That is one thing I refuse to compromise on: I HATE a cold bathroom :thumbdown:

P2L May 9th 2007 1:05 am

I use our dehumdifer in the bedrooms in the morning and in the laundry room.

The idea is that dry air is quicker and therefore cheaper to heat than damp air

I just bought a delonghi one from Noel Leeming for $399. It has a laundry setting too which is good if it's damp and you have stuff that needs drying.

If anyone suffers from asthma they are very beneficial too

brussels_sprout May 9th 2007 9:46 am

they are very heavy things ! i would buy one here in nz . it is not yet cold enough for effective use yet, condensation is still minimal, but beginning !

Apple Tree May 9th 2007 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 4755631)
they are very heavy things ! i would buy one here in nz!

I dont think they will be bringing the on the plane, so weight should not matter too much:p

southerner May 9th 2007 10:43 pm

I would recommend that you wait until you are here - as some homes do not require them, either because they have better insulation and/or double glazing, or they have heat pumps or DVS/Moisture Master type ventilation systems.

Jack The Lad May 9th 2007 10:47 pm

Cheers Southerner :thumbup:

BEVS May 10th 2007 1:43 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4753676)
If your house doesn't have double glazing, you will need them.

We need one :p We have a 30 year old house with a wood burner. This house has half an upstairs. We also need ot investigate heat transference . There is a ceiling fan but upstairs instantly becomes too hot , whereas the two downstairs back rooms remain cold.

Jack The Lad May 10th 2007 6:36 am

Bevs. What the heck is your Avatar?

Is it a Moa? :)

RobClubley May 10th 2007 6:57 am

It's a Pukeko!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/DSC04549.jpg