British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dehumidifiers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dehumidifiers-448563/)

nero May 8th 2007 8:10 pm

Dehumidifiers

We will be heading over in the next 10 weeks (fingers crossed). We have heard people talk about using dehumidifiers in their houses to reduce condensation - my question is should we purchase one in the UK before we come across. Would it be cheaper to buy in the UK? Would it be useful?

Look forward to hearing from you. :confused:

Apple Tree May 8th 2007 8:27 pm

Re: Dehumidifiers

Originally Posted by nero (Post 4753311)
We will be heading over in the next 10 weeks (fingers crossed). We have heard people talk about using dehumidifiers in their houses to reduce condensation - my question is should we purchase one in the UK before we come across. Would it be cheaper to buy in the UK? Would it be useful?

they are about $400 here for a reasonable one, maybe a bit less.

nero May 8th 2007 8:30 pm

Thanks Apple Tree :)

I saw one the other day which was a heater and a dehumidifier and it was £99 - so it sounds like I should buy one before we move out. Would we use it?

Beachcombers May 8th 2007 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by nero (Post 4753364)
Thanks Apple Tree :)

I saw one the other day which was a heater and a dehumidifier and it was £99 - so it sounds like I should buy one before we move out. Would we use it?

Depends on where you live and the type of housing you choose. But if you got room in your container, then better to chuck one in.

Also one that cost £99 may not be up to the same spec as one that cost $400 so make sure you do comparisions.

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz

Jack The Lad May 8th 2007 9:34 pm

Do most people need them?

Or is it for older houses?

karonious May 8th 2007 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4753607)
Do most people need them?

Or is it for older houses?

If your house doesn't have double glazing, you will need them.

Jack The Lad May 8th 2007 9:54 pm

That bad?

I lived in Cornwall for a while and I needed one there. I had double glazing there though :confused:

Is it to do with the sea (moist) atmosphere or do you recon it the glazing? :)

Beachcombers May 8th 2007 10:09 pm

We have single glazing and we have no problems with condensation.

But I believe that is because of where we live, very low humidity and our house is made of permanent materials and well insulated.

Also we run a heat pump, which produces warm dry air.

Gas heaters, which are cheap, also pump out alot of moisture (created when the LPG in the canister changes from liquid to gas).

Jack The Lad May 8th 2007 10:10 pm

Cheers dude :)

karonious May 8th 2007 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4753681)
That bad?

I lived in Cornwall for a while and I needed one there. I had double glazing there though :confused:

Is it to do with the sea (moist) atmosphere or do you recon it the glazing? :)

To be honest, I'm not sure :blink:
It is damp in the Waikato but a lot of people have said they need dehumidifiers, not just people who live here.
I thought that double glazing cut it back an awful lot though. It condenses on the cold glass but the second layer stops that happening most of the time.
I have just done the rounds this morning, squeegeing the windows, took me 10 minutes tops. Although we have a DVS, it makes sense to me that if I am at home in the mornings, I may as well give it a hand.

Jack The Lad May 8th 2007 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4753758)
Although we have a DVS, it makes sense to me that if I am at home in the mornings, I may as well give it a hand.

Whats one of those? :)

karonious May 8th 2007 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4753781)
Whats one of those? :)

Domestic Ventilation System
It runs through the ceiling and vents in the living area and the bedroom lobby. It also has a heat function, so as it gets damned hot in the roof space with the tin roof, it will circulate that heat at the same time as it dehumidifies. :cool:
But like I said, I may as well give it a hand if I am here anyway. And I can then see out!

Jack The Lad May 8th 2007 10:29 pm

Ah I get it :thumbup:

Karen2000 May 8th 2007 10:57 pm

Hi

Does the DVS system really heat the house ? I have seen adverts for it and wondered how effective it really is. We have a tiled roof would this make any difference to the heat it might produce ? sorry if I sound thick ! Do you have any additional form of heating ?
Thanks Karen

Genesis May 8th 2007 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by nero (Post 4753311)

Buy 'em on trade me (www.trademe.co.nz) bought 4 like that. Mitsibuishi are one of the best..around $900 new less than half second hand on trademe.

Like ought you get what you pay for...I have 5 dehumidifiers and the best one BY FAR is the most expensive..the Mitsi Oasis. they are cheap to run especially if u get cheap nite leccy from Genesis Power.

Good luck with the move.