Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Definition of Asian

Definition of Asian

Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:33 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Definition of Asian

Originally Posted by jmh
It's perfectly acceptable to call someone 'black' in the UK. In fact it was a classification on the last census.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_...United_Kingdom
Black is the current approved term. There is confusion among older people because when they were younger black was insulting and coloured was polite, and now it's the other way round.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:38 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Black is the current approved term. There is confusion among older people because when they were younger black was insulting and coloured was polite, and now it's the other way round.
I guess it depends which country you are in. Yes there is some movement back to the term black and away from African American. I think the best answer, at least in the US is to refer to blacks as simply Americans.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Maybe you didn't, but most in the UK people do. Hence the quote from Wiki in my post.
It says that it is often used, not that most people do. It wasn't exactly intended as a statement of fact and has no citation.

Certainly though, it is fair to say that we do not label every single person from India and the 'Far East' as simply Asian or oriental.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 9:54 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I guess it depends which country you are in. Yes there is some movement back to the term black and away from African American. I think the best answer, at least in the US is to refer to blacks as simply Americans.
I agree but there are times when some people might want to know if there is a distinction, and referring to everyone as Americans or humans wouldn't be good enough.