Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Decriminalizing drug possession

View Poll Results: Should we decriminalize?
No decriminalization
72.22%
Only decriminalize "Soft"
16.67%
Decriminalize all
11.11%
Other (please state)
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Decriminalizing drug possession

Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:20 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Post Decriminalizing drug possession

Should we? MPs admit to using but by the same token pass legislation making it more difficult to synthesis drugs.

I'm sure you can find lots of information about possible adverse effects on Wikipedia and such, almost all of them have adverse effects. There are many, they are varied and extensive as depicted here when UK experts where asked to asses the harm done:

Only Portugal has decriminalized and you can read about the effects here.

Cannabis law currently in Europe:
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:01 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decriminalizing drug possession

I was reading an interesting article relating to drug usage and means of monitoring. Basically results are studied by the measurement of traces found in sewage. In Europe and the UK weekend samples show almost no increase in the usage of ecstasy but a massive increase in heroin traces. In the Southern hemisphere and mainly Oz heroin readings stay steady but the traces of ecstacy rise sharply at weekends.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Should we?
I'm sure you can find lots of information about possible adverse effects on Wikipedia and such, almost all of them have adverse effects.
It is all about dosage - all drugs, from Paracetomol to P are dangerous if the dosage is wrong. Yet there is no restriction on many drugs - I could buy enough Aspirin or Alcohol to kill myself - but somehow, miraculously, that is 'ok'. Paradoxically, normal painkillers have little or no affect on my dodgy knee, yet something which I know works, even in tiny quantities (safely), is not allowed.

It would be trendy and liberal to say 'let adults decide for themselves'. But that would be akin to not having speed limits and saying 'people will drive to the conditions'. Just too dangerous.

If you could find a way to regulate and allow people to use recreational drugs sensibly it would be fine, but that may be difficult, or impossible to achieve in practice.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:10 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

The main reason that I voted NO is in a futile attempt to stop playground sales
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Agreed, 100%.

Trouble is sometimes it is the unseen enemy which can cause just as much damage. I know kids who will happily drink a huge bottle of energy drink every day on the way to school - and then remain unteachable for the rest of the day. Energy drinks are actually ruining the futures of some children.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

From what I can gather, there is no age restriction on energy drinks. Unbelievable.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

Red Bull, contains Taurine, which derives from the word Taurus, the Bull. That is a lot of Bull - probably more than you had hoped for - Taurine is synthetic Bull sperm. In case you didn't know.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:36 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Now I'm confused, you voted "No"?

Shouldn't you have voted "Yes" so that you could have a regulated (One assumes like alcohol where you need ID and to be over 18 to buy) market through licensed distributors to reduce playground sales? After all if it's illegal drug dealers take the same risk selling to a child as adult .
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Now I'm confused, you voted "No"?

Shouldn't you have voted "Yes" so that you could have a regulated (One assumes like alcohol where you need ID and to be over 18 to buy) market through licensed distributors to reduce playground sales? After all if it's illegal drug dealers take the same risk selling to a child as adult .
I voted NO to drugs hence suppliers/users stay criminals.............

Last edited by Stormer999; Aug 5th 2011 at 5:15 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:54 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

I see .
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:29 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billingham
Red Bull, contains Taurine, which derives from the word Taurus, the Bull. That is a lot of Bull - probably more than you had hoped for - Taurine is synthetic Bull sperm. In case you didn't know.
Are you serious? Yuck!

Khat

Voted no by the way
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes decriminalise them all then the wasters can slowly die off through over use and over doses
Old Aug 6th 2011, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billingham
Taurine is synthetic Bull sperm. In case you didn't know.
No it isn't
Old Aug 6th 2011, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mickey_d
No it isn't
It was first extracted from the Bile and Sperm of Bulls - hence the name. It is an amino acid present in many organs. Now it is synthetically produced, as I said. It is an urban myth, which is based on fact.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Justcol
Yes decriminalise them all then the wasters can slowly die off through over use and over doses
Hey, why stop there:

let's decriminalise speeding - all the boy racers can kill themselves.

Let's decriminalise guns - all the angry people can shoot themselves.

Let's decriminalise lucid thought, then we may get some meaningful discussion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.