Reload this Page >

Declaring unused (not new) goods

Declaring unused (not new) goods

Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:57 am
rgb
Just Joined

rgb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Declaring unused (not new) goods

We're getting close to departure and I've started to look at NZ customs form nzcs218 for declaring the household effects we intend to ship. I understand that new items are not excempt from duty etc, but one question asks about items that we already own but which have never been used. Will those items be taxed, or only if their amount is sufficient?

Should I include items like vacuum cleaner bags, blank DVDs and other consumables that, although strictly speaking are unused, come in a package of "many" of which only "some" have been used? We've also got things like reserve bike parts that we've been carrying around for years on cycling holidays, but are still unused (brake pads, spokes, cables, tubes etc).

If they're really pedantic I guess the list should even include books that we haven't read, and films that we haven't watched...
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring unused (not new) goods

We never declared nuffin I suggest you do the same
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:07 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I really can't help here. Just wanted to say congrats and hope it all goes ok with your move over. Our packing company did all the paperwork so we never had to fill in any customs paperwork. Personally though I don't think I would declare anything that was new but unused. You've no doubt paid VAT already for it. Why pay twice?!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:16 am
rgb
Just Joined

Of course I certainly don't want to declare anything I don't have to, and have no qualms about forgetting about a few minor things. But we tend to keep our stuff looking new, original boxes etc, so I'm worried there might be a few questions or raised eyebrows and aren't sure how closely they look or whether they really care about this small stuff. And the more I pack, the more of this kind of thing I realize we have. Just want to be on the safe side.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:47 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rgb
Of course I certainly don't want to declare anything I don't have to, and have no qualms about forgetting about a few minor things. But we tend to keep our stuff looking new, original boxes etc, so I'm worried there might be a few questions or raised eyebrows and aren't sure how closely they look or whether they really care about this small stuff. And the more I pack, the more of this kind of thing I realize we have. Just want to be on the safe side.
She'll be right mate! Stop worrying - people buy brand new stuff, take the boxes off and never even think about declaring them and as for parts and stuff like that... nah!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

neilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really nice

Customs don't care about household items - the cost of admin for a few personal things is just not worth worrying about for them. The are looking for large quantities of new goods that people are bring in to resell and profit from.

As mentioned - chill out and do not worry about it at all.

Neil
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
She'll be right mate! Stop worrying - people buy brand new stuff, take the boxes off and never even think about declaring them and as for parts and stuff like that... nah!
I was cheeky and bought a brand new Vax a week or 2 before and shipped it in it's original box I never declared it as it was the packers who did the paperwork, and when MAF came to look at my Vax, I declared it was brand new, he just took a glance in and said ok - didn't even charge me for it What a lovely guy!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:56 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I know of people who have shipped brand new washing machine, tumble dryer etc still in their shop wrapping and not declared it or had any problems because of it.

MAF only show an interest in the important stuff like lawnmower, xmas decs, golf clubs etc. They DO NOT open every single box and pull out each indivdual item on a container. The paperwork is lodged with them while your goods are still bobbing up and down on the water, they indicateto the shipping company, which box numbers they wish to inspect and they are set aside on delivery.

This whole process is stressful enough without looking for more work to do, in my opinion. So grab a bottle of wine, a takeaway and a DVD and forget about it
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I know of people who have shipped brand new washing machine, tumble dryer etc still in their shop wrapping and not declared it or had any problems because of it.
Oh yes, and a brand spanking new fridge/freezer too still in original packaging Packers weren't bothered, they didn't have the job of packing it, just lifting it
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

neilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really nice

Remember MAF and Customs are different entities with different objectives. MAF are not looking to charge you duty on any goods when they inspect - they are looking for bio hazards.

Neil
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:11 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilw71
Remember MAF and Customs are different entities with different objectives. MAF are not looking to charge you duty on any goods when they inspect - they are looking for bio hazards.

Neil
Quite right. And your container paperwork gets dealt with by customs for clearance first. They see the paperwork, not the goods. MAF get the paperwork and decided which box numbers might be of interest to them from a biosecurity point of view. They will tell you which box numbers, if any, they will be inspecting and ask you to put those to one side when your container arrives for them to inspect.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:36 pm
rgb
Just Joined

I realize should relax but I find it stressful filling in official paperwork, never really knowing what they are looking for.

On top of that I've recently been watching "Border control" from Australia, where basically all they show is how they catch people bringing in stuff they aren't allowed to or failed to declare on their landing cards.

Thanks to everyone who replied.