Declaring money

Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default Declaring money

On the landing card that you hand in when you arrive in NZ it asks if you're bringing in any cash or equivalent over $10,000 (I think that's the correct figure). I'm pretty sure that means, 'have you got that amount with you as you're walking through the airport customs?' I wouldn't want to carry that much in my back pocket anyway; but I was wondering is there an equivalent declaration you have to make (to customs?) for a transfer either before or after you arrive in NZ e.g. via a forex company, or just UK bank to NZ bank if you transfer >$10,000?
Thanks,
John.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring money

no
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
no

Thanks.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
no
Ditto no, its only hard cash in the back pocket or stuffed down yer pants.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:58 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

make sure you're totally honest with everything else on the landing card too - even if it sounds bizarre, e.g.
"do you have any grains or seeds" answer YES I have a box of weetabix in my suitcase.
"do you have any dairy products" YES I have a block of Cadbury's Dairy Milk.
"do you have any tramping or outdoor equipment that may be contaminated" yes I have my children's buggy wheels that we pushed through the park last week, or my children's football boots but they have been cleaned in bleach before leaving etc...
etc

depending on whether you get an arsey or pre-menopausal MAFF officer will depend on whether they laugh at you for declaring these items, or decide to fine you for not declaring stuff.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by P18PPS
make sure you're totally honest with everything else on the landing card too - even if it sounds bizarre, e.g.
"do you have any grains or seeds" answer YES I have a box of weetabix in my suitcase.
"do you have any dairy products" YES I have a block of Cadbury's Dairy Milk.
"do you have any tramping or outdoor equipment that may be contaminated" yes I have my children's buggy wheels that we pushed through the park last week, or my children's football boots but they have been cleaned in bleach before leaving etc...
etc

depending on whether you get an arsey or pre-menopausal MAFF officer will depend on whether they laugh at you for declaring these items, or decide to fine you for not declaring stuff.
Last time I went in and declared my cleaned walking boots, the MAFF lady was very impressed by their cleanliness and gave me a very nice smile
Sometimes i think the nothing to declare queue is longer and it's quicker to declare, say, a bar of chocolate. Though that wasn't the case last time with the boots as there was a girls' college soccer team returning from Aus with boots for inspection in front of me!
John.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:52 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnht
Last time I went in and declared my cleaned walking boots, the MAFF lady was very impressed by their cleanliness and gave me a very nice smile
Sometimes i think the nothing to declare queue is longer and it's quicker to declare, say, a bar of chocolate. Though that wasn't the case last time with the boots as there was a girls' college soccer team returning from Aus with boots for inspection in front of me!
John.
!! it was probably my daughter!