Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Decisions Decisions, Questions Questions!

Decisions Decisions, Questions Questions!

Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

until you have the visa in place I personally hold back on everything else.

What are your points now without a job offer? If over 140 you can apply if under but claiming 15 bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage that had a points total of 135. only been selected once this year so far so maybe a long short.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Your first step is to be eligible to apply for a visa. For that , from what you write, your OH will need a job offer to secure enough points and strengthen the application.

The trickiest part will be a firm job offer and that job offer being at a wage you can afford to live off.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's tricky but like most of us you have to get the chicken and egg all to happen at the same time. Sounds like you need a good quality job offer before you can apply for the visa and then it will be all systems go and everything else gets done afterwards

If your OH gets a job offer they'll likely want his booty over here asap, so you might stay in the UK and wrap up the affairs or what's the worst that can happen if you don't give three month's notice? There's nothing to lose, surely?

Do you hope to keep the whole immigration thing under wraps (near to impossible) ? Couldn't you pre-warn them nearer the time that it's likely you're on your way and if you've had a good relationship with your employer they probably would appreciate heads up, or would be happy for you to go earlier with their blessing. If not then they is probably a bunch of barstewards anyway and don't deserve three months notice.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

Thanks all for your replies. Yes, I think it's probably a good idea for me to give them the heads up when we have sold our house, as this is ideally when we'd be looking to get moving pretty quickly. And yeah - what can they actually do if I leave earlier than the 3 months?!

According to the points calculator, we appear to have 155 without a job offer (if I have done this correctly).

We have had a pretty extortionate quote from an immigration advice company (£6k) just for the visa. Having looked through all the info, I think I can probably do it myself. It is difficult with all the paperwork etc, but surely I would have to gather all of that even if I did go through an adviser. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? As long as I have my head screwed on, is it an ok process to do yourself?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:59 am
`

1. Apply for visa (eligible for skilled migrant as long as OH gets a job offer secured before applying)
Originally Posted by darbydoo
According to the points calculator, we appear to have 155 without a job offer (if I have done this correctly).
Which is it please?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

Sorry, don't understand the question?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:05 am
`

In the first quoted statement you stated you were eligible for a SMC application as long as your OH gained a job offer. So that reads as needed the points from a job offer.

In the next quoted statement , you stated that you had enough points for an SMC, presumably without points for a job offer.

What is the make up of your points?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

well he has qualifications and experience in a skill on the LTSSL, and I have a masters degree in Marketing, which is a skilled occupation (although not on any shortage list). I also have a brother living in Auckland, which gives me bonus points.

With OH job offer, we would have 215 if I remember correctly.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:17 am
`

OK. I now see there has been previous posts on this. I will merge the threads so we're not all going over the same ground for you.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:27 am
`

Default Re: Decisions Decisions, Questions Questions!

I have just tried the points indicator again using the info you have given. As I stated before, I can't get the points anywhere near to what you suggest.

Can you give a breakdown please.

For your OH the max pints would be 20.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:57 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your replies. Yes, I think it's probably a good idea for me to give them the heads up when we have sold our house, as this is ideally when we'd be looking to get moving pretty quickly. And yeah - what can they actually do if I leave earlier than the 3 months?!

We have had a pretty extortionate quote from an immigration advice company (£6k) just for the visa. Having looked through all the info, I think I can probably do it myself. It is difficult with all the paperwork etc, but surely I would have to gather all of that even if I did go through an adviser. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? As long as I have my head screwed on, is it an ok process to do yourself?
Well most of us on here have done it ourselves and we can help out if you get stuck. If you have a simple case then an agent does very little apart from filling in the forms! NZIS do not give preference to those filled in by agents. Agents are very expensive and yes, you would have to still gather all your documents together. I presume that cost includes all the visa costs as well and isn't just the fee for filling in the forms

First would be to double check your points-with 140 or more you could get residency prior to moving over and without needing a job offer. As BEVS said if you post your points breakdown we can give an opinion on it
Old Jun 20th 2014, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Here's the breakdown:

Rhys (OH - principal applicant)
30 points (age 27)
10 points (working in an area of skills shortage)
15 points (4 years work experience in skilled employment)
10 points (2 to 5 years experience in an area of absolute skills shortage)
40 points (level 4-6 trade qualification)
TOTAL: 105

Me:
20 points (holding a level 7+ qualification)
10 points (also hold a level 4-6 qualification) **can i claim for these too or can i only claim for my highest qualification?
20 points (brother in NZ)
TOTAL: 50

TOTAL: 155

Thanks for your help
Old Jun 20th 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Actually only 10 points for close family member, but when I use the online points indicator on the immigration website, it gives me 155 (not sure where the other 10 comes from!)
Old Jun 20th 2014, 4:05 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts, from what you've written
Here's the breakdown:

Rhys (OH - principal applicant)
30 points (age 27) YES

10 points (working in an area of skills shortage) These points are only for those with an actual job offer in NZ

15 points (4 years work experience in skilled employment) Yes

10 points (2 to 5 years experience in an area of absolute skills shortage) Yes

40 points (level 4-6 trade qualification) Yes, have you checked whether it needs assessing or is it on the list?
TOTAL: 105

Me:
20 points (holding a level 7+ qualification) Yes

10 points (also hold a level 4-6 qualification) **can i claim for these too or can i only claim for my highest qualification?
You can only claim for one qualification each so you cannot count these points

20 points (brother in NZ) only 10 points for close family in NZ
TOTAL: 50

TOTAL: 155

Thanks for your help
I get 125 points, it does mean you'd probably need a job offer in order to be successful. The only EOIs with 125 points that have been selected in the last 1-2 years [at least] have been those that include a job offer.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Aha I thought it was too good to be true

We have been told that it would be quite easy to get a job offer at the moment, so hopefully that will still be the case when our house is sold.

I have a feeling that the quals need to be assessed against the nzqf - will need to look into that.

Thank you for your help, very kind!