Death Penalty

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of
Default Death Penalty

I was watching TV this morning and they were putting a case for returning the death penalty, mainly bought up because of the Weatherston case (glad he was found guilty personally).

I can see arguments for and against the death penalty does anybody have any strong views. I see it as a step backwards and can only cause more problems in a problematic society. I feel NZ would be a great place to trial it if they were going to but hope we never get to that stage.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:47 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Death Penalty

I wouldn't support the death penalty as it doesn't deter crime and sometimes they kill the wrong person.

However leaving criminals with life sentences on an island with only each other for company. We wouldn't have any problems with prison overcrowding or cost of housing prisoners then and they’ll face better justice/rehabilitation at each other’s hands rather than ours .
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death Penalty

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I wouldn't support the death penalty as it doesn't deter crime and sometimes they kill the wrong person.

However leaving criminals with life sentences on an island with only each other for company. We wouldn't have any problems with prison overcrowding or cost of housing prisoners then and they’ll face better justice/rehabilitation at each other’s hands rather than ours .
Yes, NZ has some sub-Antarctic islands that would be superb for that purpose.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Yes, NZ has some sub-Antarctic islands that would be superb for that purpose.
For this bloke yes. Most definitely. How much will his incarceration cost...3-4 million? How much is a bullet, a length of rope or a bit of leccy? He deserves to die in my opinion. I am not brave enough to be an executioner but I am sure there would be a long queue for this chap.

We know he did it, there's no doubt..his termination may give the family a better degree of closure plus some reasonable justice.

One hopes Johnny Knocker will be paying him many visits inside. He his an evil individual, his act and subsequent behaviour quite unforgivable.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

I support the death penalty for most murder cases. Certainly in cases were guilt is undesputed such as with DNA evidence or being caught red handed. However, maybe it should not be considered where all the evidence is circumstantial regardless of how compelling it may be. Eg, David Bain was originally convicted on circumstantial evidence and there had always been doubt about the strength of his original conviction, the death penalty would not be considered in these cases.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AH30
I support the death penalty for most murder cases. Certainly in cases were guilt is undesputed such as with DNA evidence or being caught red handed. However, maybe it should not be considered where all the evidence is circumstantial regardless of how compelling it may be. Eg, David Bain was originally convicted on circumstantial evidence and there had always been doubt about the strength of his original conviction, the death penalty would not be considered in these cases.
I agree!!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 10:18 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Death Penalty

undesputed such as with DNA evidence
Well...ummm...DNA evidence isn't perfect by a long shot. I know in CSI and NCIS they make it appear so but there are many ways it can go wrong .

I thought this case was based on his own testimony and other evidence?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Well...ummm...DNA evidence isn't perfect by a long shot. I know in CSI and NCIS they make it appear so but there are many ways it can go wrong .

I thought this case was based on his own testimony and other evidence?
His DNA was all over the weapon he used but it wasn't a factor because he admitted killing her, but denied it was pre meditated and gave evidence shoppong for a manslaughter verdict.

The death penalty was only repealled in NZ in 1989. I remember the last hanging in NZ in 1957 as I was in our colleage debating team at the time and they wouldn't let us use the hanging as a topic. The chaps name was .... Bolton and he had murdered his wife.

There was some story going around that his demise wasn't very nice as some of the men present had to swing on his legs due to a miscalculation by the hangman. That may or may not be true.

Charismatic research I have seen at work suggests that DNA if done correctly is very accurate. I don't have a copy of that so hope this will do....

http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/dnapolicybook_solve_crimes.htm

I think we should bring back the death penalty. As I see it DNA will not only finger those responsible for crime but will also eliminate those wrongly convicted.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

Not being in NZ I know very little about the case apart from the fact he was a university lecturer and he murdered his girlfriend by stabbing her about 200 times. It seems pretty clear cut murder to me, does anyone know what his motive was and why he seemed to think that his actions were justified?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Not being in NZ I know very little about the case apart from the fact he was a university lecturer and he murdered his girlfriend by stabbing her about 200 times. It seems pretty clear cut murder to me, does anyone know what his motive was and why he seemed to think that his actions were justified?
He tried to convince the jury that he was provoked.

He must think the jurors were mad to believe that a there was nothing odd about a university lecturer carrying a carving knife in their bag when they went to visit an ex girlfriend, lock her bedroom door once he got in and then feel he had to use the knife to protect himself.

That poor girls Mum was on the other side of the door trying to get in while he sat astride the girl on the floor, murdered her then continued to mutilate her face after she was dead.

Mongrel. They talk about Maori and crime in NZ. What the bros will do if they get a chance is top him in prison.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
He tried to convince the jury that he was provoked.

He must think the jurors were mad to believe that a there was nothing odd about a university lecturer carrying a carving knife in their bag when they went to visit an ex girlfriend, lock her bedroom door once he got in and then feel he had to use the knife to protect himself.

That poor girls Mum was on the other side of the door trying to get in while he sat astride the girl on the floor, murdered her then continued to mutilate her face after she was dead.

Mongrel. They talk about Maori and crime in NZ. What the bros will do if they get a chance is top him in prison.
Good grief my heart goes out to the girls mum how must she be feeling....as for him...locking him away is too good for him...wonder given what he's done the threats on his life will be enormous...solitary confinement etc all a luxury in my opinion...it'snever right is it? and that poor girls family have lost someone so very precious...l can't get my head round it all..it's so unfair!!!!!!!!!!!