Reload this Page >

That deaf MP thingy

That deaf MP thingy

Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Nabbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: That deaf MP thingy

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Something that has always confused me about sign language is how can you write a language expressed in physical movement? Like when someone invents a new device or word and you read about it in a magazine how do you express it as a set of movements if you are talking about it to a friend?
Sign language is not a written language – a media language is more appropriate and I know many researchers are trying to translate it to the visual notations. In my view, it is still no good because English or any writing languages are quicker and easier than SL. In order to pass the message to a friend, it has to be a clip of the captured filming. The idea of the 2D or 3D animation is somewhat interesting and I have seen one pilot called SL avator : http://www.w3.org/2004/Talks/0628-rd...3d-signsci.mov. (quicktime plug-in required). It is entirely flopped down but a nice try though. Ice Age or Nemo films have the brilliant animation tools for SL but who will do that? Who will fund? I can only do only 2D animation. Maybe you can do that innovation.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:00 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Given that sign language is an official language here I feel it should be funded. It;s not exactly a jolly ole luxury is it.
Then surely Te Reo interpreters should be allocated for the ignorant who choose not to learn as well.

If she cannot perfom in that role, then she shouldn't have stood for election.
Plenty of complaining about how taxes are spent, I feel this one has been handled correctly myself. Not saying don't be an MP, but why should taxpayers pay for one person, then another to help her, to decide how to spend tax money?
2pc!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:49 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

But there are hundreds of assistants, advisers, secretaries etc. to MPs who help them with all kinds of things anyway. If an MP couldn't read to do mathematics I'd expect them to seek help, surely this is equally a disadvantage.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Charismatic
You know, the elected Green MP who wants funding to get a sign language interpreter so she can actually do her job.
I just found out that Deaf Green MP Mojo Mathers can speak very well so MPs will have no troubles to understand her verbally. The problem is she can not hear. I don't think Sign Language interpreter is not ideal for her but the notetaker is definitely what she needs to be aware of all the debates/speeches. It looks as her hearing loss probably started at her latest age. It is good to give her opportunity as 1 in every 7 have suffered the various degree of the hearing loss.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:49 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nabbie
I would like to point there are many misconceptions over Deaf definition.

Born-deaf or profoundly deaf persons are usually using native sign language and they belong to the very minority in the society. They are often not treated well due to the employment disadvantage. For instance, Can Deaf person do the role of MP?

Sign language is a natural fluent just like everybody are speaking every day. The big difference to use that is to visualize through eyes instead of ears. If anyone is willing to take 30 to 60 hours to grasp the concept of basic sign language depending on their learning paces. This will be a BIG help to many Deaf individuals. I am born-deaf myself and my overall employment career is a complete disappointment. Strangely, I become an expat over a couple of years.

May I ask how many of you have ever tried to use sign language in your education? I believe the integration is the most important part of the society.

Finally do you know what does thumbs up mean?
My parents had deaf and dumb friends when I was growing up and we learned the 'old fashioned' sign language - actually spelling out each letter of the alphabet. We never felt that we weren't 'talking' to them. I regret not keeping it up and learning modern sign language but maybe that's something to think about.

I think the whole episode with Mojo was blown out of proportion by the Greens (and I voted for them) - they like to stick it to the man!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Batty
My parents had deaf and dumb friends when I was growing up and we learned the 'old fashioned' sign language - actually spelling out each letter of the alphabet. We never felt that we weren't 'talking' to them. I regret not keeping it up and learning modern sign language but maybe that's something to think about.

I think the whole episode with Mojo was blown out of proportion by the Greens (and I voted for them) - they like to stick it to the man!
Yes, many acquaintances of mine have said that same thing to me so don't blame yourself. Deaf organisations are still trying to encourage the government from many countries to accept sign language as part of school curriculum. Fingerspelling is, of course, a real pain and it is not a natural fluent. Signing is generally based on feeling, movement and space. Moreover the hands are very useful to support the face expression. I have been teaching the students over 8 years. I notice they are very scared in the first day and it looks as though I am the ghost! However I am relieved to confirm most of them are enjoying to learn how throughout the course. Lots of laughs and they realise that sign language is a natural fluent just like other many spoken languages. Which country do you live from?
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:12 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nabbie
Yes, many acquaintances of mine have said that same thing to me so don't blame yourself. Deaf organisations are still trying to encourage the government from many countries to accept sign language as part of school curriculum. Fingerspelling is, of course, a real pain and it is not a natural fluent. Signing is generally based on feeling, movement and space. Moreover the hands are very useful to support the face expression. I have been teaching the students over 8 years. I notice they are very scared in the first day and it looks as though I am the ghost! However I am relieved to confirm most of them are enjoying to learn how throughout the course. Lots of laughs and they realise that sign language is a natural fluent just like other many spoken languages. Which country do you live from?
Hi, I'm from Ireland I can't imagine why sign language wouldn't be taught in schools, there should be nothing stopping deaf kids from attending mainstream school.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Batty
Hi, I'm from Ireland I can't imagine why sign language wouldn't be taught in schools, there should be nothing stopping deaf kids from attending mainstream school.
Yes, you have made good point but unfortunately government is treating that at the lowest priority. However the ISL (Irish Sign Language) courses should be available in most colleges and good tutor is essential (deaf or native tutor is recommended). Hope this will give you a nice thinking.

Last edited by Nabbie; Feb 23rd 2012 at 9:08 am. Reason: Add smile!