British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   De ionised water - Steam Irons (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/de-ionised-water-steam-irons-816809/)

Northern Henry Dec 3rd 2013 12:53 pm

De ionised water - Steam Irons

Got one of those fancy steam generator irons, which really need de ionised water in their tanks. In UK not an issue as cheap as well water in likes of Tesco's.

Is it easily available etc? I can't be the only one :confused:

NH

Englishmum Dec 3rd 2013 1:22 pm

Re: De ionised water - Steam Irons

Originally Posted by Northern Henry (Post 11018463)
Got one of those fancy steam generator irons, which really need de ionised water in their tanks. In UK not an issue as cheap as well water in likes of Tesco's.

NH

Hello from Switzerland! :)

I was very surprised when I moved here at just how much limescale/calcium etc. is in the water - it's fine to drink and in fact every Swiss town and village has drinking water on tap at drinking fountains. I was shocked at how quickly our kettle 'furred' up, but I do drink a lot of tea lol! We have to use Calgon descaling tablets or powder every time we use the washing machine, otherwise face a hefty repair bill, but just use salt in the dishwasher.

However for my small appliances eg. electric jug kettle, Nespresso coffee maker and steam iron I decided that it was/is easier to just get one of those Brita water jugs with the replaceable Maxtra filters instead of constantly using descalers after everything is already clogged up, and I always use this water when ironing.

I'm sure you can get the Brita jugs and filters (or similar) in NZ - probably in a DIY/hardware shop or supermarket.

Hope this helps!

MrsFychan Dec 3rd 2013 5:10 pm

Brita water filters are easily purchased here. we use it for drinking water, putting in the kettle and our steam iron. sorry the mains water here just seems to upset my stomach

Mark Smith Dec 3rd 2013 7:11 pm

Mitre10 used to sell water distillers (as used in medical centres), although they are over $200.

Bellasmum Dec 3rd 2013 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Northern Henry (Post 11018463)

NH

Don't know about now but you used to be able o buy distilled water in supermarkets.

That was until my OH convinced me to use the water from our dehumidifier.