British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   day trip to rotorua where are the best geysers? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/day-trip-rotorua-where-best-geysers-665377/)

sormesher Apr 24th 2010 10:32 am

day trip to rotorua where are the best geysers?

hi there,
i hope someone can help, we are in auckland and are going to drive to rotorua to have a look at the thermal lakes and geysers like the ones i have seen on wanted down under but i am a bit confused as to where you go.
any tips? we are going this monday so would love your help
thanks
sarah

Stormer999 Apr 24th 2010 11:09 am

Re: day trip to rotorua where are the best geysers?

Take state highway 5 south out of Rotorua and visit Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland and the Lady Knox Geyser or stop sooner at Te Puia and the Pohutu world famous geyser...:thumbup: and have a good 3 hours walk about...:thumbsup:

sirplug Apr 24th 2010 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8518418)
Take state highway 5 south out of Rotorua and visit Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland and the Lady Knox Geyser or stop sooner at Te Puia and the Pohutu world famous geyser...:thumbup: and have a good 3 hours walk about...:thumbsup:

All of the above but also, don't forget to visit the Polynesian Spa, for a bit of relaxation......

sormesher Apr 24th 2010 11:49 pm

thanks alot for the tips now atleast i know where to head, just need a road map now!
looking forward to the relaxation time too :thumbup:

Gill and Rob Apr 24th 2010 11:55 pm

The Lady Knox goes off at a specific time, so you have to be there early. However Wai o tapu is fabulous to walk around and has amazing mud pools.Would be best to do Te Puia, if you want geysers. Rotorua in a day from Auckland would be pushing it. There is so much to do and see.

Gill

Tomsk Apr 25th 2010 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob (Post 8519358)
The Lady Knox goes off at a specific time, so you have to be there early. However Wai o tapu is fabulous to walk around and has amazing mud pools.Would be best to do Te Puia, if you want geysers. Rotorua in a day from Auckland would be pushing it. There is so much to do and see.

Gill

I have to agree with Gill, Wai o tapu is brilliant to walk around, but Lady Knox goes off early each morning, something like 08:45 (but that's from memory & may be wrong) so it's either an early start or try Te Puia instead. The landscape isn't quite as impressive (IMHO) but there's 2 geysers there, side by side, the Pohutu geyser & the Prince of Wales geyser, both of which go off very regularly 2-3 times an hour I believe, so you'll definitely get to see them :thumbup: They've also got a kiwi house & the whole maori cultural experience thing if you're interested in that.

Personal opinion only but I'd give the Polynesian Spa a miss, it's very busy with tourists & not cheap. If you're heading out to Wai o tapu then it's worth visiting Waikite Valley Spa which is just the other side of SH5 from Wai o tapu. It's smaller & less busy than the Poly Spa.....also a lot less commercial. Unfortunately though it's just hot pools there, no spa treatments etc.

Edited quickly to add that Te Puia offer a Whanau card for NZ residents which is a 12m pass offering discounted entry. Costs $60 for a family of 4 which is pretty good value bearing in mind that 1 adult day admission is $40. You can apply online, just google Te Puia

mickey_d Apr 25th 2010 6:15 am

Google is your friend;)

http://www.waiotapu.co.nz/attractions/lady-knox-geyser/

The guides set it off with soap powder so it is the same time each day