David Reid Homes

Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice
Default David Reid Homes

Anyone used this company?

Strengths and weaknesses etc?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice
Default Re: David Reid Homes

...a solitary tumbleweed roles through the thread...

Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:22 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I will ask husband when he gets home..... if I can remember by then. He works on new builds.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
I will ask husband when he gets home..... if I can remember by then. He works on new builds.
Thanks Bevs- that would be great!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zoglet
Anyone used this company?

Strengths and weaknesses etc?
Hi my Husband works with the President of the Master Builders Federation from what I understand they are more expensive then say Golden Homes but say they build more quality Homes.
He he gets home from work I will ask him what information he can get hold of
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

They just built a house next to us , it was huge and went up very fast, looks really nice though have not been in it, i swear it was built in like 12 weeks. Wish we had went with them lol
Old Jan 21st 2010, 4:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ok Zogs.... as Mr BEVS speaks.

..." they advertise themselves as the high quality end, so obviously you pay that little bit extra. I've only ever done a few David Reid homes in my 5 years here .
I wouldn't say that their standard of build was that much higher than any other home build. They might install a higher quality of fixture and fittings but you can specify that with other builders anyway as 'extras' .

David Reid pride themselves on a better quality finish. So, you could get a better quality light fitting for instance but the person that installs and the cable in the wall would be the same.

From what I have seen , which is not many, they do not give any different service than any other off the peg home builders.

Builders, carpenters, plumbers , electricians etc will all work for all the off the peg builders , be they Jennian, GJ Gardner or David Reid. It just depends who gets that contract at that time. All tradesmen will work on all new builds , no matter what build company, at one time or another.

You can contact any of these types of services and spend time with them , telling them what you need and what the price would be. They will all fall over themselves to try and get your business.

At this time. In this particular climate, working for all of them, you should get ALL of them in and have them quote to you ....plus extras !

Remember, all these types of businesses need to turnover so much in $$ and things are a bit quiet.

The beauty of the bigger companies is the completion date thing. They go all out for it and there are penalty clauses for going over.

Most of these types of builders allow you to specifiy what type of tapware. What type of vanities etc. There again it could cost you a bit more if you go 'off the peg' with that particular company.

Well worth getting in a quote with David Reid and then contacting Jennian etc and have them quote to the same spec.

They will all be pleased to see you coming through their front door. It is the one that gives you the best offer and the one you meet that you feel you can deal with. The tradesmen working on the build will have worked for David Reid, Gardner etc in their time.

Best thing is to make your mind up before the build , exactly what you want. Be sure to know what you want so you are not changing your mind through the build coz once you start changing your minds you incur costs - add ons - and just make sure you get exactly what you ask for. Keep a good eye on the project as it goes without being a parrot on their shoulder.

A little thing . A touch. Is to find out from your builder /contractor when the roof has gone on and they will advise you when to do a roof shout for a few beers and pies for the guys on site.

It is an old Kiwi tradition. You don't have to hang around but it brings the lads onboard and you get a bit of goodwill back.

Strengths and weakensses will very much depend on the branch . I can only comment on the Nelson and Bays area. From what I know, you could get a more stylish home through David Reid but you will pay for it of course as they do aim for the top end of the market. "

Blimey He stopped talking.Does that help.?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

..." they advertise themselves as the high quality end, so obviously you pay that little bit extra. I've only ever done a few David Reid homes in my 5 years here .
I wouldn't say that their standard of build was that much higher than any other home build. They might install a higher quality of fixture and fittings but you can specify that with other builders anyway as 'extras' .

David Reid pride themselves on a better quality finish. So, you could get a better quality light fitting for instance but the person that installs and the cable in the wall would be the same.

From what I have seen , which is not many, they do not give any different service than any other off the peg home builders.

Builders, carpenters, plumbers , electricians etc will all work for all the off the peg builders , be they Jennian, GJ Gardner or David Reid. It just depends who gets that contract at that time. All tradesmen will work on all new builds , no matter what build company, at one time or another.

You can contact any of these types of services and spend time with them , telling them what you need and what the price would be. They will all fall over themselves to try and get your business.

At this time. In this particular climate, working for all of them, you should get ALL of them in and have them quote to you ....plus extras !

Remember, all these types of businesses need to turnover so much in $$ and things are a bit quiet.

The beauty of the bigger companies is the completion date thing. They go all out for it and there are penalty clauses for going over.

Most of these types of builders allow you to specifiy what type of tapware. What type of vanities etc. There again it could cost you a bit more if you go 'off the peg' with that particular company.

Well worth getting in a quote with David Reid and then contacting Jennian etc and have them quote to the same spec.

They will all be pleased to see you coming through their front door. It is the one that gives you the best offer and the one you meet that you feel you can deal with. The tradesmen working on the build will have worked for David Reid, Gardner etc in their time.

Best thing is to make your mind up before the build , exactly what you want. Be sure to know what you want so you are not changing your mind through the build coz once you start changing your minds you incur costs - add ons - and just make sure you get exactly what you ask for. Keep a good eye on the project as it goes without being a parrot on their shoulder.

A little thing . A touch. Is to find out from your builder /contractor when the roof has gone on and they will advise you when to do a roof shout for a few beers and pies for the guys on site.

It is an old Kiwi tradition. You don't have to hang around but it brings the lads onboard and you get a bit of goodwill back.

Strengths and weakensses will very much depend on the branch . I can only comment on the Nelson and Bays area. From what I know, you could get a more stylish home through David Reid but you will pay for it of course as they do aim for the top end of the market. "

We did a roof shout and ended up staying ourselves and you know the actual builders on the job really appreciated it, also the day we moved in a few sat back for a drink , then on the sat and sun lol, but we will have proper drinks cos at the end of the day we were late in , but they did do a good job

definetly get everything down on paper , take out all PC costs as this is what we did so we knew what we were paying and then it was only extras like upgraded kitchen , we upgraded our en suite vanity things like that but get the costs in black and white so they cant change it later,
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to both Mr & Mrs Bevs for that- Im gonna let t\it digest for abit but may have questions later if that's ok.

As you can probably tell,I am in the process of contacting lots of building companies and gathering as much info as I can. First I am targeting the bigger companies- then the plan is to speak to smaller outfits. As this is the first time I have explored building, you can appreciate there is a lot to learn.

Thanks again!