Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

daughter broke her arm

daughter broke her arm

Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default daughter broke her arm

well first crisis yesterday,daughter broke her arm on trampoline.......

having said that doctors were fantastic,we were only there for about an hour,and that includes the cast....or stookie as we call it in scotland......

$60 dollars for doctor and $20 for ex ray

she can't wait to go to school today,first time ever

bet she milks it to the end.........jacky
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:13 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: daughter broke her arm

Did she have her choice of colour for her 'stookie'? A couple of years ago when I busted my ankle the bone shop at hospital offered me a complete palate of colours to choose from. Being the wild and crazy guy I am I chose white.

Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:24 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

So even in A&E you have to pay for Doctors and Xray
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:28 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by ned
When I had my ankle reconstructed I didn't pay a brass razoo, nada, zilch, not a dollar.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:53 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

That is one thing about the NHS if you need it you dont worry about having to afford it
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by ned
That is one thing about the NHS if you need it you dont worry about having to afford it
I come from the States where access to medical care is Kafkaesque. Whatever New Zealand's drawbacks are access to basic health care here has the USA beat hands down.

Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ned
Garryhg either went to a private hospital such as the White Cross group or isn't resident because attention at a state A&E would be free.

I went to our local state A&E with a sore knee - the waiting time was 3-4 hours, so I hobbled down the road to the private one and paid $30 to see a doctor within 20 minutes. sometimes it's worth paying a little extra.

The majority of this cost was paid for by ACC because it was an accident. Had I been sick, the private cost would have been substantially more.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear about the accident but sounds like every cloud how ever painful has a silver lining...this one with school etched on it.....

How big a trampoline did Garry go for in the end Jacky... he was talking like the full dimensions that i gave him for the width of the lawn may not have been enough space for what he had in mind......
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:00 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Garryhg either went to a private hospital such as the White Cross group or isn't resident because attention at a state A&E would be free.

I went to our local state A&E with a sore knee - the waiting time was 3-4 hours, so I hobbled down the road to the private one and paid $30 to see a doctor within 20 minutes. sometimes it's worth paying a little extra.

The majority of this cost was paid for by ACC because it was an accident. Had I been sick, the private cost would have been substantially more.
thank you dlmckay for keeping me in the loop
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ned
thank you dlmckay for keeping me in the loop
It's very confusing - I broke my finger a year after we got here and didn't know about state A&E's, assumed it would cost money to get it looked at, didn't have any and therefore, didn't get it seen to.

It's taken me a while to figure it out for myself!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

We would have received free A&E care had we went to the hospital, but for ease and speed we went to East Care.
Sometimes it's easier to spend a minimal amount of money to save any hassles.

B,

We got a 12' complete with the safety net?

Cheers
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
well first crisis yesterday,daughter broke her arm on trampoline.......

having said that doctors were fantastic,we were only there for about an hour,and that includes the cast....or stookie as we call it in scotland......

$60 dollars for doctor and $20 for ex ray

she can't wait to go to school today,first time ever

bet she milks it to the end.........jacky

Our daughter broke her arm not long after we got here too. Fell off the flying fox at school. This was the week before school camp and she a plaster from fingers to shoulder. I called at the school explaining how I understod how she wouldn't be able to go to school camp and the teacher looked at me and asked why I WAS STOPPING HER FROM GOING, I just presumed she would not be able to go (as in the UK), but no, not NZ, the teacher said she would MISS OUT ON SO MUCH BY NOT GOING !!! So of she went and loved every minute of it.

Gill
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Our daughter broke her arm not long after we got here too. Fell off the flying fox at school. This was the week before school camp and she a plaster from fingers to shoulder. I called at the school explaining how I understod how she wouldn't be able to go to school camp and the teacher looked at me and asked why I WAS STOPPING HER FROM GOING, I just presumed she would not be able to go (as in the UK), but no, not NZ, the teacher said she would MISS OUT ON SO MUCH BY NOT GOING !!! So of she went and loved every minute of it.

Gill
Forgot to say, all treatment was free at local ED (A&E).
Gill
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob

Gill
hi jacky here...i know what you are saying about it not stopping kids here with cast on.

my son had cross country sports day,which is a huge annual event at his school aparantly,i was helping out...there was a little girl there running the 4 laps the same as the other kids with a cast on....i couldn't beleive it
health and safety would have a field day back in uk....

i put a note into school with her today excusing her from p.e,but she has to do it tomorrow:theres no way she would get out of that here for 6 weeks..
they don't wrap kids in cotton wool here,