British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dark ngts? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dark-ngts-329641/)

Born2tri Oct 5th 2005 3:10 am

Dark ngts?

Hi could anyone please tell me what time it gets dark approx in the summer and winter in NZ, and do they have local pubs we would be used to in England or is it more like Australia. Also do they have the big spiders and snakes etc, Sorry to sound naive but my sister is planning to move over there nxt yr and wants to find out as much as she can, as we just moved over to Australia and i am finding things like that really hard to adjust to.

Thanks Lisa

Herm Oct 5th 2005 3:28 am

Re: Dark ngts?

Originally Posted by Born2tri
Hi could anyone please tell me what time it gets dark approx in the summer and winter in NZ, and do they have local pubs we would be used to in England or is it more like Australia. Also do they have the big spiders and snakes etc, Sorry to sound naive but my sister is planning to move over there nxt yr and wants to find out as much as she can, as we just moved over to Australia and i am finding things like that really hard to adjust to.

Thanks Lisa

Darkness - like the UK it depends on where you live. I live on the north island and in summer it stays light until around 9.30pm - in the winter its dark by about 5pm. If you lived on the south island - say Dunedin - the timings are more like the south of England with summer evenings being longer and winter shorter.

No snakes at all - no really large spiders and, with the exception of the white tail (imported from Aus - now living in the top half of the north island but rarely seen) no poisonous spiders.

Plenty of places to drink but no 'real' English pubs although there are a few themed bars that try very hard -

Anything else you need to know?

Born2tri Oct 5th 2005 4:03 am

[QUOTE=Herm]Darkness - like the UK it depends on where you live.

Hi thanks for your reply thats a big help, will tell her to come on here herself as I got alot of help before we moved over to Brisbane although it has still hit me hard the different way of life, one more question if you dont mind is the weather also the same as UK as the adverts on tv over here look fab for NZ?

Thanks again Lisa

on_the_last Oct 5th 2005 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Born2tri
Hi thanks for your reply thats a big help, will tell her to come on here herself as I got alot of help before we moved over to Brisbane although it has still hit me hard the different way of life, one more question if you dont mind is the weather also the same as UK as the adverts on tv over here look fab for NZ?

Thanks again Lisa

In case any folk living NZ haven't see it, you can view the TV advert on the web at http://www.newzealand.com/travel/sou...r-tvc_home.cfm - and click on the link.
Wow! I really want to go :cool:
R.

Herm Oct 5th 2005 7:42 pm

[QUOTE=Born2tri]

Originally Posted by Herm
Darkness - like the UK it depends on where you live.

Thanks again Lisa

Again depends where you go. I'm living in the Bay of Plenty where daytime temperatures on average range from about 12 degrees in the winter to high 20's in the summer. More rainfall than where I lived in the UK but over much fewer days (no drizzle really). Averages about 2500 hours of sunshine a year and able to grow oranges, lemons, olives etc. Lots of wind - longer summers and shorter winters than UK.

If you go north (Auckland and above) becomes more tropical with higher rainfall. The west coast is generally wetter than the east.

The further south you go - especially Christchurch downwards I would say the more 'english' the climate becomes. Shorter summers, occasional snow in winter, more frosts at night etc etc.

I like the climate and on balance prefer it to the UK - its more predictable.

Try www.xtra.co.nz and click on weather.

Cheers
Martin

SarahB Oct 6th 2005 8:54 am

Yep I can confirm that it certainly rains here a lot!!! When's it ever going to stop?? :confused: Its not cold though!

Boopy Oct 15th 2005 7:28 pm

Would you say that it rains more in NZ than the North East Of England.
Boopy

Originally Posted by SarahB
Yep I can confirm that it certainly rains here a lot!!! When's it ever going to stop?? :confused: Its not cold though!

Boopy Oct 15th 2005 7:29 pm

Would you say that it rains more than the North East Of England.
Boopy

Originally Posted by SarahB