Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dargaville to Whangarei

Dargaville to Whangarei

Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:55 am
Just Joined

SWALLOW2 has a spectacular aura aboutSWALLOW2 has a spectacular aura aboutSWALLOW2 has a spectacular aura about
Default Dargaville to Whangarei

We are coming to NZ in a couple of weeks time. I've got a job in Whangarei but are going to be living in Dargaville (a long and complicated tale!) for approx 6 months. So obviously will be commuting by car. I see from the map,the road from Dargaville to Whangarei appears a straight one. Does anyone have any experience of this road in terms of traffic, how busy, and can you put your foot down a bit, so I can get home sharpish etc? I believe it could take 40 mins? Many thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:01 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dargaville to Whangarei

Originally Posted by SWALLOW2
We are coming to NZ in a couple of weeks time. I've got a job in Whangarei but are going to be living in Dargaville (a long and complicated tale!) for approx 6 months. So obviously will be commuting by car. I see from the map,the road from Dargaville to Whangarei appears a straight one. Does anyone have any experience of this road in terms of traffic, how busy, and can you put your foot down a bit, so I can get home sharpish etc? I believe it could take 40 mins? Many thanks.
Only driven it once, with no drama.

However I would advise you against 'putting your foot down' over here; NZ police are very proactive and are quite ingenious in finding ways of catching you
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

You'll have no trouble on that road. It's a really pleasant one. You find that the roads running east to west are much better than the ones running north-south as there is less traffic going across than up and down. If you go down from Dargaville you see the hills in front on you and it is really lovely. Was up there over the holidays and the scenery reminded me of parts of Scotland.

If you want a really pleasant drive when you get settled - try the Twin Bridges road To Kaikoe (sp) which is off that road. Well worth the drive.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Dargaville to Whangarei

Hi, I think 40 minutes is a realistic commute time from Dargaville to Whangarei, I used to live in Whangarei and have done the trip a few times, the only issue is if you do get stuck behind traffic (or a tractor) is finding a decent place to pass.

HTH
Gina
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:51 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Once you hit Whangarei you might hit traffic - especially in holiday/summer season. It took us ages to skirt the city last time we were up there