Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Darfield - ChCh commutable?

Darfield - ChCh commutable?

Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Darfield - ChCh commutable?

never been but it looks like it might be where we're looking for... (??!!)

those that know - what do you reckon? how long to get to the middle of chch by car? is there a regular bus service - how long's the journey?

erm, and any thoughts on Darfield?

we're looking for nice, affordable rural SMALL town up to 45 minute commute from chch cbd -lots of that's subjective obviously, but any constructive thoughts/suggestions would be really useful!

Is there anywhere else you think might fit the bill?

(we'd really love to be further south, but it's likely that OH work will be chch)

thanks everso (as ever!)
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all
Default Re: Darfield - ChCh commutable?

hi there, i work with a guy who commutes from kirwee every day into christchurch. its near darfield. think its 45mins trip. pretty peaceful out there and not far to the mountains.

Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

If you look up Google maps/get directions it tells you how to get there and how long it takes, although I think their times are a bit conservative.

According to them, Darfield is about 45km away and takes about 52 mins, but I think it's a bit shorter than that. It's a very quiet country town.

Other places you might consider:
Lincoln (small, pretty, agricultural University town amongst farmland about 30 mins from Chch)
Springston (rural village 30 mins from Chch)
Pegasus Bay area is nice
Woodend (small town north of Chch)
Waikuku Beach (rural beach town)
Rangiora or surrounds (larger town but still quite rural)
Oxford is lovely, but I think it's probably and hour or more commute.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:58 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwinow
If you look up Google maps/get directions it tells you how to get there and how long it takes, although I think their times are a bit conservative.

According to them, Darfield is about 45km away and takes about 52 mins, but I think it's a bit shorter than that. It's a very quiet country town.

Other places you might consider:
Lincoln (small, pretty, agricultural University town amongst farmland about 30 mins from Chch)
Springston (rural village 30 mins from Chch)
Pegasus Bay area is nice
Woodend (small town north of Chch)
Waikuku Beach (rural beach town)
Rangiora or surrounds (larger town but still quite rural)
Oxford is lovely, but I think it's probably and hour or more commute.
Hi, All good locations for you to consider Oxford is 45 mins run it was voted by the AA last year one of 3 up and coming places to live IN NZ, you have all you need plus a good supermarket, swimming pool, cafes bar, shops, craft shops and much more. I live at Woodend but will live at Oxford one day with its stunning views Must just add not seen many buses in some places you have to get two buses due to no direct route.
Lin
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

ace, thank you all for your helpful suggestions!