Reload this Page >

Dare I ask!?? North Is. poortowns

Dare I ask!?? North Is. poortowns

Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

tipsy10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dare I ask!?? North Is. poortowns

Hiya,
OK, I dare ask!! I have noticed the vast difference in property prices in the north Is. Of course Auckland is dear and most of BOP too. we all know that!!

But lots of other towns really vary!! From My observation the areas with heavy Maori and Islander population are often the cheapest, and there's nothing wrong or right about that. i.e a 3 bed in Whakatane might be $350K while the same house in Tokoroa is $140K and of course their only an hour or so apart.
I have lots of real estate searches for properties but really want to know of any extremes you guys know about specially the lower priced towns and cities. Someone told me that Wanganui was the most affordable place in the North Island but it full of dreggs (their words not mine) Of course by answering this question you acknowledge that heavy Maori and Islander populas causes "town run down"

Any help!?
an applecart upsetter
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dare I ask!?? North Is. poortowns

Generally people want to live where they have work, or where they want to retire too. My theory is that this causes the variation in property prices that you are seeing - the places with the low prices, that you are describing as poor towns, do they correlate with less working opportunites?
No different to house prices n the UK I guess.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:35 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dare I ask!?? North Is. poortowns

Another factor to consider is - it's not actually a bad thing ( and I'm not saying you said it was!!) to live in or near a predominantly maori town/village. We live quite far north near Kerikeri - which is very expensive and mostly European, there is a lot of money. Hence we chose not to live there!
We live in the countryside about 2km away from a very small almost totally maori village, which is immaculate, well cared for, friendly as anything. We love it., and have been made feel totally welcome. It has a real community spirit and a great rugby team!
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, due to it's closeness to Kerikeri the prices are rising rapidly.

It's funny cos my DH works in Kerikeri which is only about a 20 minute drive away and a lot of his patients have never even heard of the village we live near!