Dangerous dogs

Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of
Default Dangerous dogs

With the current spate of dog attacks lately, what do you guys think? Should certain dogs be banned from being breed here? Are certain breeds just too dangerous?, or is it down to bad owners? should bad owners be banned from having dogs?

i've had dogs for the last 15 years. All large breeds - Rottweiler/Ridgeback cross - pure Rhodesian Ridgeback - pure Bullmastiff. All these breeds could be classed as aggressive, but I'm of the opinion it's down to the owners most of the time (although it can be inherent). As a "good" owner I get very upset by owners who don't register there dogs, let them wonder around the streets, don't socialize their dogs properly, and don't train there puppies (when in some cases the councils supply it free!!!).

Slowly but surely dog owners are being allowed less access to area's and it's down to the ignorant gits who just want an aggressive dog to make them look good in front of their mates/gang members.

The dogs get a bad wrap, but it's usually the owners fault.

Although I must say I would never have a Pitbull or a Staffie personally, I don't trust them. Then again, before I had the Bullmastiff I wasn't sure about them either!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dangerous dogs

I think some dogs are just going to be aggressive no matter what and I don't think it's breed driven per se. My friend has always had big dogs, always socialized them well and had them around her (and my) small children, her Alsatian had no problems, great dog, her one Rottie was a pain, other was fine, no matter what she did, she ended up having to re home him after he bit one of her boys, and attacked one of the goats (and he was raised from pup with them) Then she got two Rhodesian ridge backs (rescue dogs) they were brilliant once she had trained them and socialized them with the boys, they were left to run about the farm and would alert to Mountain lions about, which was pretty common. One was lost to a Mountain lion injury, the other is old now with bad hips and doing fine.
I've been bitten by poodles and other small breeds and am just as warey of those. In our neighborhood there was a chow who animal control know well and bit anyone who it met if it got the chance.
The again I'm not a dog lover, I like them if they are well behaved and belong to someone else.
Bad dogs are usually owned by a bad owner, (but there is always the exception)
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:49 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It's all three - if you mix a naturally aggressive breed with a breeder who is breeding for aggression, and add a ned owner who views an aggressive dog as a sign of his manhood, then you have a problem. Just one or two of those things can be a problem.

If I owned an aggressive or assertive breed like a Rottweiler, Ridgeback, Dobermann, Chow, etc., I'd never leave it alone with children and I'd usually keep it on a lead in public (or put a muzzle on it if it was going to be off-lead).

We have a few problem dogs in the village (which is a very dog-friendly village - Suzy and I come across dozens of off-leash dogs on our walks every week). These problem dogs are assertive/aggressive. Suzy has been bitten or attacked a handful of times. The owners are oblivious to their dog's bad behaviour (but then I suppose some parents are like that too!).

Even supposedly nonaggressive dogs can bite under the wrong circumstances, although I can't see Suzy ever biting a person (she gives the odd bothersome puppy a matronly snarl now and again, though).
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:21 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I was bitten through the hand by a Boerboel and was very lucky that the teeth glanced off all bones as the teeth passed through. I have since talked to a South African as to the uses of this breed and was shocked at their training by the Boers. This dog lived in a cottage in a small English village and I can only question as to what purpose. Councelling has helped but the ease of how this animal threw me to the ground will always haunt me. The animal simply pushed its owner out of the way to attack me........nobody could have stopped it it weighed over 90kgs. The wife was pregnant expecting twins...sensibly the dog is no more!
Simply there are dogs and there are dogs, majority of owners of the nasty breeds are lacking somewhere trying to keep these things as pets!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Our Boxer is so playful and absolutely loves everyone and everything so when we meet people he gets really excited, which some people love... some dont. I think because he is a big boy it instantly worries them and they take his behaviour as being aggressive, which straight away annoys me. For instance they other day, man walking a tiny dog not on a lead. His dog comes over to our dog who is on a lead and starts barking is head off. Our dog stars jumping about trying to play, not barking or growling. When we walk on I'm sure I heard the man call our dog a bloody nutcase! To certain people, quite simply big dog = Menace

I think dogs are like people, whatever breed they can be good and bad. I'm embarrassed to say I have been worried when I've met staffies and such types of dog when we're out but is that because of what we hear in the media. Most of them turn out to be no problem. We also meet lots of little dogs, jack russels and terrier type things and they come across much more aggressive. My cousin had a staff when i was growing up and he was never a threat to me, my other cousin has a staff now and he is lovely with people but hates other animals as he has never been mixed with them.

Unfortunately as you mentioned people have dogs for a certain image. I dont think we have strict enough rules on who is breeding dogs or who the people are buying them. Also the punishments for not looking after your animals properly and acting responsibly are no way harsh enough

Last edited by Lee Lee; Feb 6th 2010 at 12:14 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
Our Boxer is so playful and absolutely loves everyone and everything so when we meet people he gets really excited, which some people love... some dont. I think because he is a big boy it instantly worries them and they take his behaviour as being aggressive, which straight away annoys me. For instance they other day, man walking a tiny dog not on a lead. His dog comes over to our dog who is on a lead and starts barking is head off. Our dog stars jumping about trying to play, not barking or growling. When we walk on I'm sure I heard the man call our dog a bloody nutcase! To certain people, quite simply big dog = Menace

I think dogs are like people, whatever breed they can be good and bad. I'm embarrassed to say I have been worried when I've met staffies and such types of dog when we're out but is that because of what we hear in the media. Most of them turn out to be no problem. We also meet lots of little dogs, jack russels and terrier type things and they come across much more aggressive. My cousin had a staff when i was growing up and he was never a threat to me, my other cousin has a staff now and he is lovely with people but hates other animals as he has never been mixed with them.

Unfortunately as you mentioned people have dogs for a certain image. I dont think we have strict enough rules on who is breeding dogs or who the people are buying them. Also the punishments for not looking after your animals properly and acting responsibly are no way harsh enough

As long as your dog's "playful" personality doesn't involve physical contact, then I'd agree. But too many "boisterous" or "excitable" dogs like to jump up on you, or even (as happened to me a few weeks back), literally run right into you! Some dog behaviorists would say that is not boisterousness it is dominance/assertiveness.

Dogs should simply not be allowed to jump up on strangers, regardless of whether they are just being "playful", period.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:18 pm
Ping-ponger

Hey, why has this been moved to the New Zealand forum???
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
As long as your dog's "playful" personality doesn't involve physical contact, then I'd agree. But too many "boisterous" or "excitable" dogs like to jump up on you, or even (as happened to me a few weeks back), literally run right into you! Some dog behaviorists would say that is not boisterousness it is dominance/assertiveness.

Dogs should simply not be allowed to jump up on strangers, regardless of whether they are just being "playful", period.
As you may or may not know Boxers are very well known for being a very playful breed. Also if you notice I wrote that my dog was on a lead as he always is when we are out walking to avoid him jumping up at people and he would never be able to run into anyone. You may also note that I wrote he jumped around after being approached and barked at by another dog, which seemed to annoy me much more than it annoyed him.

I simply do not allow my dog to jump at strangers whether he is trying to greet them or not. My dog is not dominante or assertive he is friendly. Period
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:46 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
As you may or may not know Boxers are very well known for being a very playful breed. Also if you notice I wrote that my dog was on a lead as he always is when we are out walking to avoid him jumping up at people and he would never be able to run into anyone. You may also note that I wrote he jumped around after being approached and barked at by another dog, which seemed to annoy me much more than it annoyed him.

I simply do not allow my dog to jump at strangers whether he is trying to greet them or not. My dog is not dominante or assertive he is friendly. Period
That's good news - but I'm not sure why you seem to be taking my (general) post so personally. It's not about you ...
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

LOL, yeah I know
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dunroving
Hey, why has this been moved to the New Zealand forum???
Because the OP requested the move as it was intended for the NZ forum in the first place..
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

PLEASE do not put Staffies and pit bulls in the same line in your post they are very different breeds Staffies are one of the most loyal, soft, great with kids, affectionate breed of dogs in the world.

It,s not there fault chavs want to walk round with them as some sort of penis extention

Neil
Old Feb 7th 2010, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

I have never owned a dog & would eventually love one but having been recently 'nipped' on the bum by a 'playful pup' I am opting for goldfish !
The 'nip' was the best meal the dog had had in ages though
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:29 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bolton1
I have never owned a dog & would eventually love one but having been recently 'nipped' on the bum by a 'playful pup' I am opting for goldfish !
The 'nip' was the best meal the dog had had in ages though

I have 2 dobermanns.. The eldest is mine, he's a poorly old man of 11 now and the 7 year old belongs to my 14 year old daughter.

Neither of us has a penis. So an extension of one would be ridiculous.

Funnily enough my husband was most reluctant to let me get a dobermann and made me prove, through my research, how loyal, soppy, devoted a breed they were. Not to mention beautiful!

But mine had attacked sheep back in the UK - cost me a fortune to pay the farmer off. Never been off lead since.

The bitch, terribly rude with other dogs. Both great with people and bought up with kids. Never left to roam, don't jump up at people (the biggest is 6 stone so not advisable ...) never off the lead. Family pets, a pain in the bum, but wouldn't be without them.

Would NEVER have a pitbull ....
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:22 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

I have 2 dobermanns.. The eldest is mine, he's a poorly old man of 11 now and the 7 year old belongs to my 14 year old daughter.

Neither of us has a penis. So an extension of one would be ridiculous.

Funnily enough my husband was most reluctant to let me get a dobermann and made me prove, through my research, how loyal, soppy, devoted a breed they were. Not to mention beautiful!

But mine had attacked sheep back in the UK - cost me a fortune to pay the farmer off. Never been off lead since.

The bitch, terribly rude with other dogs. Both great with people and bought up with kids. Never left to roam, don't jump up at people (the biggest is 6 stone so not advisable ...) never off the lead. Family pets, a pain in the bum, but wouldn't be without them.

Would NEVER have a pitbull ....

During lambing season here, the local farmer tends to shoot any dog that's off-lead on his land, regardless of whether they are anywhere near his sheep. The law is on his side too - he's never been successfully prosecuted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.