Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Damp and mould - Dom Post today.

Damp and mould - Dom Post today.

Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:11 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damp and mould - Dom Post today.

Originally Posted by annie22
When we owned a caravan a few years ago it was common practice for everyone on the caravan park to wipe over the windows every morning with a bit of washing up liquid on a damp cloth, leave it soapy and it disapears in minutes, no steamed up windows for two or three days after that, so it must help the condesation inside the house.
now that is interesting - maybe something to do with surface tension and droplet formation (maybe its like clouds where you need dust or something for the droplets to form on? hence how the rain-making systems work, hold on Beijing.......)
Only trouble is, if you do have a very humid atmosphere in your home and the moisture is not lost (say on a cold window/metal part) and then collected on the squeegie or towel then it will tend to condense out somewhere else - if that is in your roof timbers then you could be storing up trouble! That is one of the reasons that loft eaves need to be ventilated in the UK, to prevent damp and rot in roof spaces.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:37 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annie22
When we owned a caravan a few years ago it was common practice for everyone on the caravan park to wipe over the windows every morning with a bit of washing up liquid on a damp cloth, leave it soapy and it disapears in minutes, no steamed up windows for two or three days after that, so it must help the condesation inside the house.
Hi Annie,

Do find your house has the same condensation levels as your caravan ?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:53 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
Hi Annie,

Do find your house has the same condensation levels as your caravan ?
Splutter
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's an old trick to clean things like bathroom mirrors with wash-up liquid to stop them getting steamed up so much. Also works well with spectacles, but boy oh boy, we have miles of windows so I'm not finding any love for cleaning the windows every few days.

Also the oft mentioned suggestion of opening your doors and windows during the middle of the day, works great I guess if people are actually home during the day. Hence it doesnt work in this household and we rely entirely on the dehumidifiers.

Just for 'laughs' (I get my kicks in some funny ways), since it was a misog of a day I put the dehumidifier on yesterday, it's been going about 36 hours and barely collected 2 inches of water. Few weeks time and that will be a very different story.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:14 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yes, it's an old trick to clean things like bathroom mirrors with wash-up liquid to stop them getting steamed up so much. Also works well with spectacles, but boy oh boy, we have miles of windows so I'm not finding any love for cleaning the windows every few days.

Also the oft mentioned suggestion of opening your doors and windows during the middle of the day, works great I guess if people are actually home during the day. Hence it doesnt work in this household and we rely entirely on the dehumidifiers.

Just for 'laughs' (I get my kicks in some funny ways), since it was a misog of a day I put the dehumidifier on yesterday, it's been going about 36 hours and barely collected 2 inches of water. Few weeks time and that will be a very different story.
We must be lucky, although we thought we were going to freeze to death in the first 3 weeks of moving in here in June, we've not suffered with damp at all. We have no double glazing and no central heating, we have a gas fire & some underfloor heating which to be honest we never used. We did get ridiculously excited when we were the winning bid on a couple of old calor gas portable heaters on TradeMe like your Granny used to have! They certainly helped though.

No damp, very little condensation (windows probably too dirty for water to stick, so to speak?!) and surprisingly son who used to be hospitalised at least once a year with asthma has stopped using his inhalers, been 11 months now ...
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:24 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We must be lucky, although we thought we were going to freeze to death in the first 3 weeks of moving in here in June, we've not suffered with damp at all. We have no double glazing and no central heating, we have a gas fire & some underfloor heating which to be honest we never used. We did get ridiculously excited when we were the winning bid on a couple of old calor gas portable heaters on TradeMe like your Granny used to have! They certainly helped though.

No damp, very little condensation (windows probably too dirty for water to stick, so to speak?!) and surprisingly son who used to be hospitalised at least once a year with asthma has stopped using his inhalers, been 11 months now ...
Hi there,

Is that the house you are advertising for sale?

Glad to hear your son is in better health
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Are your windows single glazed sash ones or a bit on the draughty side because that helps prevent the condensation...same as opening the windows I suppose?
No damp if you don't use the underfloor heating is good going though.

I put my windows not getting condensation down to my using the heating a lot but I now think it's more that the windows are not exactly draughtproof.
I was in a new build apartment for 3 weeks in Central Wellie last July and could not believe the condensation levels.....unbelievable. No matter how often I mopped it up it would be back within a couple of hours.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:14 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to be the harbinger of doom but if the condensation is not coming out on your windows/walls, etc and you don't have forced ventilation and/or a decent heating system to get rid, then it may be ending up in places you can't see - like your loft insulation (and hence the timbers) or inside walls, in other interstices, etc - if these are cool enough compared to the living spaces and your house is pretty "leaky" (on the ventilation front, not a true "leaky building") then my understanding is that condensation could form there and do (unseen) damage.......hence all the warnings from the BRE.
Tis true that slightly draughty places are better (the whole point of vents in soffits, etc) but very draughty ones are going to be worse as winter air is likely to be moisture laden (even in BoP) and cold, thereby increasing some of the damp-producing conditions. In that case I suppose that some form of background heating will tend to keep the cold damp air out.
Probably best to ignore me though as I am a serial pessimist......
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:17 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Campbells
Hi there,

Is that the house you are advertising for sale?

Glad to hear your son is in better health
No, that's an older extended property, used to be an original 2 room batch! Can't sell ours until the youngest (5) has left home or the kids would kill us! Location, location, location and all that!

When we came on our reccie my Hubby's uncle in Auckland told us to go to Rotorua with our son and make him breath slow and deep - we did - and he was also feeling much better.

I wonder now we live here whether it's the sea air?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

I like you...you're clever

Originally Posted by lardyl
now that is interesting - maybe something to do with surface tension and droplet formation (maybe its like clouds where you need dust or something for the droplets to form on? hence how the rain-making systems work, hold on Beijing.......)
Only trouble is, if you do have a very humid atmosphere in your home and the moisture is not lost (say on a cold window/metal part) and then collected on the squeegie or towel then it will tend to condense out somewhere else - if that is in your roof timbers then you could be storing up trouble! That is one of the reasons that loft eaves need to be ventilated in the UK, to prevent damp and rot in roof spaces.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:55 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Yes, it's an old trick to clean things like bathroom mirrors with wash-up liquid to stop them getting steamed up so much. Also works well with spectacles, but boy oh boy, we have miles of windows so I'm not finding any love for cleaning the windows every few days. .....
Ah yeah, I remember buying a spray form the opticians for just that purpose.
Alternatively you could go <<<<<< NUCLEAR >>>>>>>> ..........

see:
http://www.nuklearproducts.co.nz/
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:56 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
I like you...you're clever
sarcasm/falttery will get you.....................

Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

oops, sorry I thought you were ...

....a sexy intelligent woman

oh shit- I'm flirting with men now

Originally Posted by lardyl
sarcasm/falttery will get you.....................

Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:41 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

It's his avatar that causes the confusion .
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

We have security "stays"(I think that's what they are called) fitted on some of our aliminum windows so can have some ventilation while at work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.