Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Damp and mould - Dom Post today.

Damp and mould - Dom Post today.

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:17 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Damp and mould - Dom Post today.

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Mmmm, me thinks it is merely a marketing ploy so that they can justify charging top dollar for it.

Good honest Kiwis do that

Nah
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

can't win em all, aye mate

Originally Posted by Campbells
Now if I had posted that message the HAPPY IN NZ brigade would be after me
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:12 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

We do live in New Zealand and experience the weather when it rains for four weeks you had better have a good de-humidifier going and they aint cheap to run.
I went and bought one after this thread a few days ago. I have had it running in each room, various times of day cos i was curious to see what we would collect.

The only water we have collected so far is in our bedroom after hubbie had had a shower - I was beginning to wonder if it was working or not.
was amazed to see how much water was collected.

So i look forward to the winter months to see it in action. Window opening isnt a problem here - could that be why I havent seen much in the water tank?. its something i have always done - i love fresh air through the house even on a cold frosty day. just stick a coat on if i'm cold i am already knitting gloves and hats for the kids for when they get up in the mornings.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:53 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dreamfish
I went and bought one after this thread a few days ago. I have had it running in each room, various times of day cos i was curious to see what we would collect.

The only water we have collected so far is in our bedroom after hubbie had had a shower - I was beginning to wonder if it was working or not.

So i look forward to the winter months to see it in action. Window opening isnt a problem here - could that be why I havent seen much in the water tank?. its something i have always done - i love fresh air through the house even on a cold frosty day. just stick a coat on if i'm cold i am already knitting gloves and hats for the kids for when they get up in the mornings.
Hope you bought de-humid with decent tank size otherwise you will be emptying them frequently.

The problem with opening the doors for fresh air thing is

When you are running de-humid to dry the internal air and the external air has a very high humidity level, therefore it is not just fresh air you are letting in.

I am no expert in this area but have watched a humidity meter inside our house with interest.

We run LPG heaters in winter as our choice is that or electric and electric tends to dry the air out.

Have experienced the bedroom feeling damp if the de-humid has not been running.

We use our double garage as a study and carpeted the floor. In winter it s just too cold to use. The wind blows through the gaps in the tip-up garage door and of course from there into the house.

We haven’t bought as both my missus and I have chosen to invest in running our own businesses. Not really settled in NZ and not sure at this stage if we will buy and settle.

But as folk have posted on this thread, if we did buy a house here we would certainly get it up to standards, probably British Standards

Maybe this winter I should get my missus to knit us some hats and gloves so we can watch telly with a nice hot soup, Campbells of course
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:25 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This is an old photo now but it was our answer to the chill we felt inside our 2nd rental.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:21 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BEVS here
This is an old photo now but it was our answer to the chill we felt inside our 2nd rental.
Gee, that's some serious knitting
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:01 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:09 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
....The only water we have collected so far is in our bedroom after hubbie had had a shower - I was beginning to wonder if it was working or not.
the place we used to get most was in the hallway with the bedroom doors open on a chilly night when it was too cold to leave the windows open. Then you could fill the tank (a good sized one) in about 8 hours on the medium setting. Clearly the mositure was from all the breathing we were doing.
Not only does this help with the direct effects of damp around the house it also makes the place feel warmer and so reduces the amount of background heating you need to make it liveable for the kids - less chilly are more snug at a lower temperature is good. Although the de-humidifier runs on 300 watts it was good value for us last heating season as it probably saved the same amount of electricity in background heating.
As far as how much moisture you are going to collect - well that's gonna depend on a lot of things not just how "humid" the air is - like airflows, ambient temperature and which setting the appliances is on (I hope you have one with several settings that is a real advantage).
We also used ours for drying the school sweaters overnight in the winter as it seemed to be the only way to get them dry in the house.......
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Gee, that's some serious knitting
It's crochet using a No.7 wire hook.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:49 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Mama always said, 'Kids, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.'

Not many lemons but lots of mould.

Here's to you, Mama.

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BEVS here
It's crochet using a No.7 wire hook.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:24 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happynz
Mama always said, 'Kids, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.'

Not many lemons but lots of mould.

Here's to you, Mama.

http://www.pdxmagazine.com/pdxpo/ima...ures/drink.jpg
Mould? looks like minced paua to me.........
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

We may have been lead into a false sense of security over the past 4 months; this weather really is not the norm and I'm already dreading the winter drizzle. The summer has been unusually long and glorious with not much rainfall, except in the far north, for several months. Half the country is in drought, so I wouldn't expect any dehumidifier to be collecting very much at present.

Weather in Auckland has been pretty constantly hot and sunny since mid-November, although less sunshine hours than average in February, with only the odd day like today where we haven't seen any sun at all. Most Kiwis I have spoken to have said they can't remember having had a summer this good for many, many years. Some say 30 years, athough I haven't seen anything that backs that up.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/s...ectid=10495711

Rainfall was half, or less than half, of normal over much of the North Island from Manukau southwards, and in coastal Otago and parts of Southland.

But rainfall was at least double the annual average in Northland, and north and central Canterbury.

The month was the second and third wettest February since records began for Kaikohe and Kerikeri respectively, and the wettest February on record for Rangiora, in Canterbury.

The month was the sunniest February in New Plymouth since records began in 1933, with 256 sunshine hours far surpassing Auckland's below-average 191 sunshine hours.

February temperatures were slightly above average throughout the country, with the month's average temperature, 17.7C, 0.5C above normal.

Auckland was the warmest of the major centres, Hamilton the driest, Christchurch the wettest and Wellington the sunniest.

Dunedin had the least sun of the major centres, with just 178 sunshine hours.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:13 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm

Sounds totally efficient

Do the doors get pulled in winter and rain with No 8 wire ?

Sweet as
He's American - his home has all the mod cons amd he isn't afraid of spending money. But like I said he thinks the simplest solution is the best for humidity. Mind you, on the East Coast of the South Island we have a lot less natural humidity than some parts of the country.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

silverbirch will become famous soon enoughsilverbirch will become famous soon enough

When we owned a caravan a few years ago it was common practice for everyone on the caravan park to wipe over the windows every morning with a bit of washing up liquid on a damp cloth, leave it soapy and it disapears in minutes, no steamed up windows for two or three days after that, so it must help the condesation inside the house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.