Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Damp and mould - Dom Post today.

Damp and mould - Dom Post today.

Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:18 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damp and mould - Dom Post today.

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Mmmm, me thinks it is merely a marketing ploy so that they can justify charging top dollar for it.
yeah especially the stuff that passes for paint here
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

damp and mould...gosh, you've brought back some horrible memories of NZ....aaaaaargh ...definite source of asthma problems- ours had severe difficulty breathing one night, we panicked and phoned emergency- ambulance, cop cars arrived at the same time!

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Article in today's Dominion Post likening NZ's damp and mould levels in the housing stock to levels found in Palestinian Refugee Camps...makes you think???
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Is this mould and condensation problem mainly on the North Island or does the South Island suffer as well?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:15 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Sort of off topic, but does anyone else wonder what it means when a commercial uses the phrase: "made for New Zealand conditions"? I always have a chuckle and a little eye rolling action. There isn't much that I can see in our place that was made for the conditions. However, our new house may fit the bill.
For outdoor stuff they usually mean high UV, varying temperatures and quite a lot of rain.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:03 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by luvwelly
One word to anyone not here yet: central heating, central heating, central heating.
Thats two words, Central heating.

We just moved so no idea of what the damp will be like. Our last house (rental) was pretty good, only damp and condensation if we used the gas radiators (no - flues !!!), but other wise fine. house before was a rental again, bloody cold and we even got mould in summer !!!

New place has under floor insulation, wood burner and heat transfer system, but is in a bush setting so we will have to see.

Last edited by Jac&Adie; Mar 2nd 2008 at 1:11 am. Reason: though i'd better ad something of value !
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:58 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by dreamfish
not sure how to begin my reply here. of course i havent experienced a winter here so maybe not in a position to comment.

BUT newspaper articles are meant to be damning - thats what helps the newspaper sell.

And a comment like this I feel is bit of an over generalisation.

Would I be wrong in assuming that the better quality housing (for instance in areas of better standards of living) are of a better build, have been looked after and maintained and as such will not experience these levels of mould and damp to the extent the article suggests. As a rule the better quality housing are in the more desirable areas, with sun?

Now the areas that are less desirable, are poorer areas, have poorly maintained houses and are GENERALLY situated in the the valleys, damper areas. (i can only comment on wellington as thats all i know). These houses dont get to see the sun all day and consequently have all these issues the article suggests.

So you see FORTUNATELY FOR US the majority of uk expats will be able to purchase a house in a better area and are unlikely to suffer these extremes of mould and damp that you suggest. And as long as we all realise that then this article is all but scaremongering.

I admit i dont have all the facts or the experience - I am just trying to apply a bit of logic to it.

I also accept the benefits of having a dehumidifier -we will be purchasing one soon. That almost contradicts what I have just said. The only mould we have in our house is in the shower because previous owner never opened her windows, so we need to strip that down. One thing i checked for was evidence of mould 'dust' collecting in the corner of the windows where you get condensation - I found nothing like that.

BEfore I came out here I had these worries (because of threads like this) that we would be living in houses knee deep in water. I just want people to know it doesnt have to be like that. Our house was surveyed and had excellent moisture tests.

Just apply a bit of common sense when you buy your house out here. Dont buy one in amongst bush, aim for one that wont be in shadow the winter months, and is north facing maximising sun.
Does your 'better quality house' not have an extractor fan in the bathroom?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
Is this mould and condensation problem mainly on the North Island or does the South Island suffer as well?
Its the wet and humid NI, the sunny mainland doesn't suffer
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:53 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pascalr
Does your 'better quality house' not have an extractor fan in the bathroom?
meeeeeeeeeeeooowwwwwww

the shower room opens up straight into the shower cubicle and has a window - seems previous owner didnt like using windows.

the other two shower rooms have extractor fans, thank you for asking.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:56 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

meeeeeeeeeeeooowwwwwww

the shower room opens up straight into the shower cubicle and has a window - seems previous owner didnt like using windows.

the other two shower rooms have extractor fans, thank you for asking.
Wow, you have three showers, I bet you miss having a bath eh?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:03 am

Wow, you have three showers, I bet you miss having a bath eh?
we have another bathroom with a bath too
look you're helping me make myself look really pretentious here LMAO!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:18 am
Banned

we have another bathroom with a bath too
look you're helping me make myself look really pretentious here LMAO!!!
I don't think you need my help to do that
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:22 am

I don't think you need my help to do that
well what can i say other than i have gone from a tiny 3 bed semi and moved into a lovely 5 bed place and i am so happy, feel very lucky and fortunate. sorry if it appears i am being that way - those people on here who know me personally, i am sure would tell you i am not like that at all. we have had to work bloody hard to get to where we are today, hasnt been given to us on a plate, so why the hell not eh??
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:29 am
Banned

well what can i say other than i have gone from a tiny 3 bed semi and moved into a lovely 5 bed place and i am so happy, feel very lucky and fortunate. sorry if it appears i am being that way - those people on here who know me personally, i am sure would tell you i am not like that at all. we have had to work bloody hard to get to where we are today, hasnt been given to us on a plate, so why the hell not eh??
Why the hell not what.....Gloat?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:34 am

Why the hell not what.....Gloat?
oh for crying out loud
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:21 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

As they say.........
Attached Thumbnails Damp and mould - Dom Post today.-donotf_1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.