Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Damn! Cats "failed" their rabies antibodies blood tests

Damn! Cats "failed" their rabies antibodies blood tests

Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

liz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really nice
Default Damn! Cats "failed" their rabies antibodies blood tests

Hi all,

I learned about a week ago that my 2 cats have failed to reach the acceptable level of rabies antibodies in their blood. I am taking them back to the vet next week to have another booster shot.

The vet has suggested giving them a "double dose" of vaccination, to help boost the antibodies levels. Has anyone else had this sort of problem before? Any suggestions gratefully received...

This of course means that the "6 month" waiting period from the time of the rabies shots to their entry to NZ has to start ticking all over again - putting back our planned arrival time in NZ. Now looking at going around September 2012 (after the Olympics - top of my "UK Bucket List"!!) instead of mid-March. Oh well, a silver lining and all that - now I don't have to resell my Olympics tickets back to LOCOG.

Thanks for any help you may have!

Last edited by liz_r; Dec 30th 2011 at 5:25 pm. Reason: Because vet does not have an "s" in it, making it an item of underwear
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damn! Cats "failed" their rabies antibodies blood tests

Thats happened to us too, had our cat vaccinated in November (then vet conveniently forgot to tell us when the blood test should be done), was done late and he failed. Just had a booster, another test booked for friday 13th (hopefully not a bad omen).

Still on the first stage of the ITA, queries over job contract, my medical and relevant paperwork for previous experience - hopefully all sorted soon.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Rats !

Persephone , our resident vet, is away on her hols at the moment too so isn't around to give her view.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:02 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Rats !
No, Bevs, Cats......
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Theyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
No, Bevs, Cats......
Sorry but this made me .........
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

excuse me if I am barking up the wrong tree but hasn't the 6 month thingy changed or have I confused this with NZ to UK?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

liz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really nice

Janey, it's the other way round now for the UK - they have been forced to relax their quarantine regulations to be more in line with the rest of the EU, which now means that countries like Oz and NZ no longer class the UK as "rabies free", hence the requirement now for rabies vaccinations and a 6 month waiting period from the UK.

Our lovely vet has very kindly offered to do the "double dose" top-up at cost price so it shouldn't cost as much as we had first feared, but I am very nervous about what we'll do if the little beasties fail a second time...